Who do you think is going to attempt Subscription-Only next?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AdvancedFollower wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:37 pm
musicproducerdee wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:23 pm The younger audience actually likes the subscription model in a sense, as it makes it easier for them to get a bunch of tools that are being used by industry professionals, at an affordable price.
A lot of the industry classics in the plugin world have often been heavily discounted by 80% or more. Waves of course, as well as PA, iZotope and others. Even UAD are already doing "50% off" sales and they just went native weeks ago. I'd give it another year at most before they start selling their plugins for $29.99 each.

Rent to own is great in principle, but when you see that $299 product being on "sale" for $49.99 while you still have $150 to pay on your rent-to-own plan, it suddenly doesn't feel as appealing.
I 100% agree with the rent-to-own prices, which is why I got Serum via RTO, as it never goes on sale. Recently SSL started rent-to-own plans for a couple of their plugins, which they put on sale for (you guessed it) $29.99, however if you want to rent to own them, you pay full $150. No one wants that. As for the developers you mentioned, I don't use a single plugin from any of them. I have used all of their plugins in the past, but I don't anymore. I used to like iZotope, before they became a part of Sondwide, and before their shady sale models etc etc. Same with Native Instruments. NI sales are good but they don't do anything interesting anymore, as someone else mentioned in this thread. As for PA and other brands, never liked them anyways.
Ableton Live | Numark Party Mix II | Arturia MINILAB 3

Unison audio. One new midi chord a month guaranteed minimum.

$25 a month or $40 with drum monkey/mangler thing would be my guess.

j wazza wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:03 am Although izotope prefer discontinuing and re-releasing things as new products or paid upgrades.
I bought Ozone 9 on a sale not long before they released Ozone 10. Now I see that Ozone 9 is still not compatible with Mac OS Ventura but Ozone 10 is.

Ozone 9 is in their "Not yet fully compatible with macOS 13 Ventura" section. "not yet" Does that mean they plan to update it ? https://support.izotope.com/hc/en-us/ar ... 13-Ventura

What do they usually do ?

Jolaff wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:40 am
j wazza wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:03 am Although izotope prefer discontinuing and re-releasing things as new products or paid upgrades.
I bought Ozone 9 on a sale not long before they released Ozone 10. Now I see that Ozone 9 is still not compatible with Mac OS Ventura but Ozone 10 is.

Ozone 9 is in their "Not yet fully compatible with macOS 13 Ventura" section. "not yet" Does that mean they plan to update it ? https://support.izotope.com/hc/en-us/ar ... 13-Ventura

Not likely.

Jolaff wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:40 am Ozone 9 is in their "Not yet fully compatible with macOS 13 Ventura" section. "not yet" Does that mean they plan to update it ? https://support.izotope.com/hc/en-us/ar ... 13-Ventura

they usually only update the latest versions. the chances of ozone 9 ever working under ventura, at least officially, are remote.

Apparently SSL have just moved a few products that were subscription-only to be available to buy, or rent to own.

As I suspected, the direction of travel is going the other way. Subs are here to stay, but only as an option. I think everyone is going to have to find something else to get furious about.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Ive just subscribed to Vengeance Avenger for 50% off RTO. Good price for a good synth but yes, I’ll be pissed if it’s on sale for lees than 50% in the next 12 months!
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

ramseysounds wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:58 am Ive just subscribed to Vengeance Avenger for 50% off RTO. Good price for a good synth but yes, I’ll be pissed if it’s on sale for lees than 50% in the next 12 months!
I think it probably will go on sale for 50% off, I've seen those sales a lot. Also avenger 2 will probably come out in the next 12 months

Hopefully having 1 will get an upgrade option to 2? And as long as it doesn't go on sale for LESS than 50%, it's ok.
I think RTO is a good idea; letting you basically spread the cost over a certain length of time, like having an interest free loan.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

I believe a lot of companies will offer subscription as an option - but I seriously doubt someone will force subscription only after Waves fiasco. I believe the options are the best - let customer choose whatever suits them most - perpetual, rent to own, subscription...

I can see companies that have a self contained system like IL FL doing a subscription. If it's cheap enough then it allows for people to have a complete music solution while they are productive and to stop when they aren't/ don't have time. If a company can't offer a full front to back music solution ( sounds, DAW environment, flexible processing/editing, and robust mixing with export options) then they shouldn't even think of going subscription. I don't think any company can meet this criteria for me and people have very diverse needs so I don't see any use for or future in subscription services for music production software.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Just got an email from a mastering engineer I’ve used before, telling me not to miss the introductory price on their new subscription service lol.

Make it stop 😭

i need Help wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:08 pm Make it stop 😭
So, after this forum literally broke Minimal Audio to the point they offer Demos... KVR, do your thing.

As long as we're talking about subscription. I wonder if there's any good info on whether there is a trend of temporary subscription with media subscription, and, if so, how that trend is impacting the bottom line. This is what I do. I have max for a couple of months to watch a few things then I'll drop it. I had disney a while back for two months to watch the star wars things. I can see people getting a subscription for one month to master a project and then dropping it. In fact, I would see people using it as a longer term paid demo and it could backfire for firms in that people realize sooner that they don't need all of that crap.

C'mon, just being a citizen of a country is in essence a subscription:
you pay taxes every year and receive less every year from the government.
Why should any business be different?

Return to “Effects”