Waves...smh

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

An absolute crock of sh1t and nonsense. I have been using Waves for about 10 years. I’ve never bought WUP. They all still work (and I have dozens). I’m on W10 and Cubase 12. So much crap is spread on this forum 🙄
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

And if you’re on Mac, as some of us f**kers are, it’s all true. Not everyone is you, Mark, thank Christ.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

It's good to see that after a very disturbing outbreak of unity at KVR - everyone thought the Waves overnight move to subs was terrible - we're now back to the warm and familiar petty bickering. What a relief.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Forum ‘superior behaviour police’ still doing their job though. That’s great. We all have so much to learn from you 👍🏻
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:34 am Forum ‘superior behaviour police’ still doing their job though. That’s great. We all have so much to learn from you 👍🏻
That's the spirit! Keep it up, you're doing just great!
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

IMG_1390.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kidslow wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:31 pm
_leras wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:59 pm It seems to me that every Mac OS update comes with tons of issues for anyone that uses third party software. Waves or otherwise...
Have you personally experienced this or is it just the whinging on message boards that gives you this impression?
Some of that, but mainly from friends who are mac users in areas of both music and design.

Seems quite often OS upgrades may need a new machine, or at least a new version of software being used. The software being used quite often seems to need a paid update to use the new OS.

ramseysounds wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:34 am
ghettosynth wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:24 am Well, I did it. I got out my (virtual) checkbook to pay my WUP so I could keep using what I have...
This is the issue, that this lie is continually spread. You do not have to WUP to keep using Waves. Why keep on saying it? 🤦‍♂️
No, in my case, I do. I did not activate an upgrade to a bundle, so I can't activate it because WUP is expired. Old versions of the bundle are activated, but AFAIK, I can't create an offline installer for those versions, at least I see no way with it inside of Waves Central because it doesn't associate tha product with the older versions.

So, unless I'm wrong, which is totally possible, I cannot install nor activate the bundle that I have, and, I have to pay WUP to keep using the product that I've already paid for. So, sure, if you know of a way that I can activate an out of WUP bundle, then I'm listening.

You just download the offline installer for whatever version you have from Waves, as covered on their website.

https://www.waves.com/support/how-to-in ... y-versions

ramseysounds wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:06 am An absolute crock of sh1t and nonsense. I have been using Waves for about 10 years. I’ve never bought WUP. They all still work (and I have dozens). I’m on W10 and Cubase 12. So much crap is spread on this forum 🙄
Yes.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

revvy wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:15 am And if you’re on Mac, as some of us f**kers are, it’s all true.
Perhaps it is - and that is the beauty of WUP. Unlike basically all other companies Waves does not make pc-users pay for the work they have to put into maintaining Apple-compatability.
A very smart and just system - can't blame Waves for people not getting it.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

sjm wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:39 am You just download the offline installer from whatever version you have from Waves, as covered on their website.

https://www.waves.com/support/how-to-in ... y-versions
Yes, from their website:
Step #1 Activate your Licenses

Download and install Waves Central for Mac | Windows
If you already have Waves Central installed, skip to the next step.
AFAIK, Waves Central will not activate a license not currently in WUP. Is there a step there that I'm missing? If you try to run Waves Central from the offline installer then the very first thing that it does is update itself to the latest version. This is new ground for me as I've never had a license that was out of date before I used it before.

How did that even happen in the first place? Why did you not register the license back in the day when you purchased it (i.e. when you made that upgrade to the bundle)?

That seems to be a very rare and weird scenario - I would contact their support and see what they can do about it. But either way I think it isn't really fair to put the blame on Waves.

ramseysounds wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:06 am An absolute crock of sh1t and nonsense. I have been using Waves for about 10 years. I’ve never bought WUP. They all still work (and I have dozens). I’m on W10 and Cubase 12. So much crap is spread on this forum 🙄
I don’t get why this is nonsense… maybe it’s because of my solid technical background in IT?

Anyway, I was on Mac from late 2008 untill mid 2020 and guess what? I needed wup a few times.
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

jens wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:58 am How did that happen? Why did you not register the license back in the day when you purchased it (i.e. when you made that upgrade to the bundle)?

That seems to be a very rare and weird scenario - I would contact their support and see what they can do about it.
It is rare and weird and I have thought about contacting support. However, let's be clear, unless support does something for me, it is true that I currently can't use what I've purchased without paying for WUP, no?

Return to “Effects”