Waves...smh

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

abc1mce2 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:04 am
jamcat wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:49 am You do if you want to keep using Waves on a second computer.
That's correct if you have Two seats. If not, put your Waves licenses on a USB flash drive and move it from computer to computer as needed.
USB ports are precious on laptops, iMacs etc.

imrae wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:07 pm
abc1mce2 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:04 am
jamcat wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:49 am You do if you want to keep using Waves on a second computer.
That's correct if you have Two seats. If not, put your Waves licenses on a USB flash drive and move it from computer to computer as needed.
USB ports are precious on laptops, iMacs etc.
Yeah, 'cause it's not like you can buy a hub in a cornerstore for a tenner or a half...

And btw.:

instead of using a USB stick you can also park the licences in the cloud plus
there is also a (legal) way to simply use the same license on two (or more) machines
without having to move it at all. But I'm not telling.
Last edited by jens on Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

ghettosynth wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:04 pm it is true that I currently can't use what I've purchased without paying for WUP, no?
I have no idea tbh (because I can't try it myself) but I trust you exhausted all possible options in order to solve the problem on your own... so yes, certainly far from ideal then, but still not sure that's really something worth holding a grudge over.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

sin night wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:04 pm
ramseysounds wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:06 am An absolute crock of sh1t and nonsense. I have been using Waves for about 10 years. I’ve never bought WUP. They all still work (and I have dozens). I’m on W10 and Cubase 12. So much crap is spread on this forum 🙄
I don’t get why this is nonsense… maybe it’s because of my solid technical background in IT?

Anyway, I was on Mac from late 2008 untill mid 2020 and guess what? I needed wup a few times.
Same similar, but still on Mac here.

Fact that folks are arguing against this being a fact is laughable.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Like I said: it's your choice to support a company that sells machines where updates often break things, which causes software developers a significant amount of work to fix - and it is only just, that you pay for that work and neither me nor the software-vendor instead.

You cause it, you pay for it. Perfect! Thank you, Waves! :hail:

A: Mac users sometimes need to buy WUP, fact of life
B: NO I DON"T ON PC
C: Yes we do on Mac, fact of life
D: well, it's your fault, on Mac !!!!!

SMFH
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

ghettosynth wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:04 pm However, let's be clear, unless support does something for me, it is true that I currently can't use what I've purchased without paying for WUP, no?
It has always been the case AFAIK that whatever license you have will work with any installation to that version. The offline installers are a PITA, but that was how you did it.

Obviously Waves Central changed drastically on Sunday, again AFAIK it shouldn't have stopped this but maybe it did. If it's not letting you do an offline install of the version you have a license for, definitely contact support.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

ghettosynth wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:55 am
sjm wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:39 am You just download the offline installer from whatever version you have from Waves, as covered on their website.

https://www.waves.com/support/how-to-in ... y-versions
Yes, from their website:
Step #1 Activate your Licenses

Download and install Waves Central for Mac | Windows
If you already have Waves Central installed, skip to the next step.
Your licenses should all show up in Waves Central as long as you registered them (which you only need to do if you got them from a reseller). That ship has sailed, so if you didn't do that, I dunno what to do.

But it sounds like you were using them previously, in which case they are in your account and show up in Waves Central. You just can't install the older versions and you need to use the offline installer as described under Step 2.

If those activations are on another machine, you'll need to reset them. There is no need for WUP to install old licenses. I have never Wuped and have moved PCs multiple times.

Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved WUP.

Dunno what that is supposed to mean... there were always those of us who said WUP is no big deal at all and then there were the loud and nasty (and quite unreasonable if you ask me) WUP-haters who showed up in every Waves thread to bore the hell out of every one else with their lame anti-WUP tirade.

And nothing has changed in regards to that. Now the WUP-haters try to seize the situation with a desperate aim at creating momentum by attempting to make about WUP what has got nothing to do with WUP at all.

Sad, whiney and lame as always - that's how we know our anti-WUPsters.

Stockholm syndrome
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

jens wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:32 pm Dunno what that is supposed to mean... there were always those of us who said WUP is no big deal at all and then there were the loud and nasty (and quite unreasonable if you ask me) WUP-haters who showed up in every Waves thread to bore the hell out of every one else with their lame anti-WUP tirade.
In all fairness, we should differentiate, that there are users that don't have problems with frequently paid upgrades.

With Waves Audio, with a couple of caveats however...

For starters -- whether or not the plugins in questions actually got some suitable upgrades, not just "maintenance patches" (which are mandatory for both Win/Mac, since both DAWs and OS updates can break things). Locking bugfixes behind a paywall is never a good move.

And then there is the highly decisive topic, of whether or not the upgrade fees are actually fair, and not just willy-nilly calculated based upon a super high set MSRP (some which feel really made up), rather than the actual constant sale price they had up until recently.

The cap at 250USD a couple of years ago was a good start. But there was, and still is, valid criticism to overhaul this mechanic completely. Especially towards those that only have a handful of tools, compared to those that have huge bundles.

I think this is what the subscription plan tried to "cover". Only that the "tiered system" felt once more imbalanced, and ultimately also resulted in more costs. In my case - pretty much all of my plugins are listed in "Ultimate", so I'd pay more per year than I'd have paid (or would now pay again) for WUP. On top of the fact... stop the subscription, and your upgraded tools stop working.

This is where Plugin Alliance, as contrasting example, offers a subscription plan with a "loyalty program". This recently changed, so I had to read up on it again (especially since I'm not accessing this myself). However, turns out that there are not only three tiers of subscriptions, the amount of plugins you can keep also changes from 3 (Mega L) to 6 (Mega XL) to 10 (Mega XXL), on top of getting access to subscription exclusive tools (from my understanding, turning perpetual), and with the highest tier even a beta program. There have barely been any paid upgrades lately either. Only if you wanted a tool with enhanced features. But then again, sit it out to the next sale, upgrade at a massive discount on top of the "loyalty crossgrade offer".

Granted, there are also companies that "reverted" their "subscription only" programs and then introduced some... weirdly priced perpetual licenses (<cough> Roland Cloud <cough>). Waves currently just sticks out like a sore thumb the most, considering their general handling even prior to their recent... uhm... "well thought through" moves.

Personally, I'm not okay with (people) suddenly "caving" to the "return of the old ways".
But in the end... everyone decides for themselves what to do, and what/whom to support.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

There are too many topics about this so here´s my take on all this, my small contribution.
This is not new... Waves has some bad practices for quite some time. Nobody remembers the Studio Sting Operations they did 15 years ago?
I am too busy and I don´t have the time to write everything I want to say so here´s it on video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOENYgA0zOc

Compyfox wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:05 pm Personally, I'm not okay with (people) suddenly "caving" to the "return of the old ways".
But in the end... everyone decides for themselves what to do, and what/whom to support.
I was okay with the old ways. I can’t have been the only person who hardly ever needed to WUP because they did crazy cheap upgrade bundle deals. That worked fine for me. Not a perfect system but good enough, and I did get some plugs that way that I wouldn’t have otherwise and really love.

We don’t yet know if they’ll revert to the same kind of deals. If they don’t, I’ll likely only update when absolutely essential and won’t buy anything new. If they do, I’ll pretty much carry on as before because… well, it’s all as before.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

ghettosynth wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:04 pm
jens wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:58 am How did that happen? Why did you not register the license back in the day when you purchased it (i.e. when you made that upgrade to the bundle)?

That seems to be a very rare and weird scenario - I would contact their support and see what they can do about it.
It is rare and weird and I have thought about contacting support. However, let's be clear, unless support does something for me, it is true that I currently can't use what I've purchased without paying for WUP, no?
Did you contact support? Why in earth would you pay to upgrade and not activate? Hardly fair to blame Waves or me
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Return to “Effects”