VST "varispeed" plugin -- Pitch & Speed control ??

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Also wanted this since way back! :tu:
That every Audio/MIDI channel would have both, independent BPM and Time Signature, that you could set however you feel like :love:

you can do that in ableton.
🇷🇺

greententacle wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:08 pm Also wanted this since way back! :tu:
That every Audio/MIDI channel would have both, independent BPM and Time Signature, that you could set however you feel like :love:

you can do that in ableton.
Really? Cubase user, might just install the Live 11 Lite that I have :tu:
Fusion

RC-20 Retro Color from xln audio

Most of my hosts have a "tape" mode for time stretching clips and stuff. It works great for recordings as you can simply modify the tempo in semitone multiples and the files will follow the changes perfectly. For realtime audio you'll need a delay buffer for this kind of manipulation and it gets messy but you can do it up to a point (the exact point where the playback gets faster than the recording). I've always just dropped things into kontakt (any other sampler would be fine too but I know my way around kontakt) for these types of effects.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

I know this is going to sound crazy, but what you want is an Electrix Repeater. A brilliant, but flawed device. Mostly for looping, but with an SD card you could do a whole track. It could sync to a MIDI clock and stretch or pitch independently. I wish someone would do a plugin emulation.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

maybe another idea would be (oldschool) using a (software-, plugin-) sampler ?

bounce the track you want to varispeed, load it into the sampler
use midinotes for exact time/pitch changes, and/or pitchwheel (+-12)

In terms of real time, I personally use the aforementioned time shaper by cableguys, and Helisert by Kentaro (https://szk-1992.gumroad.com/l/Jyhsi). It is kind of a 1 second rolling buffer, with read speed of each second illustrated by the hz playback rate control. So 2 hz playback on a 1 second buffer would be 200% tape speed. I sometimes use helisert as it has a crossfade control, where as time shaper does not, which might be useful on small buffers. It also has some cool stuff like the ability to freeze the buffer, and add feedback.

I personally use Bitwig as a DAW, and find Helisert really useful to nest in feedback loops, or any other container in the native fx to add varispeed fx.

If I was not interested in realtime, i'd just use a sampler with no time-stretching. Or, if your daw has it, a repitch type warp on an audio file.

Modifying playback speed changes the length of bars, so it is better handled by the DAW.

this might break someone's brain, but I always just use Reaper's transport for this - usually to do the old tape machine trick to slow it down if the singer can't hit some notes.

Uncle E wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:06 am

AI will make all of us superfluous soon enough, may as well enjoy these small, final moments of sentience.
With all due respect, I would advise you not to make this joke, if it is a joke, and not to believe this, if you sincerely believe it. I believe this will become very important.

Why? Please explain.

Uncle E wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:12 pm Why? Please explain.
Well, preliminarily, I would suggest that post-modern type misanthropic rhetorical poses (e.g., "humanity is bad!") are rather played out at this point, fwiw.

But the main point is that perhaps in the near future, or right now, it is important for humanity to love and believe in itself, so it will not be tempted to resign itself to something that has this message "Humanity is bad, humanity has failed. Humanity needs to give control over itself to AGI(AI), which is 'superintelligent', and is the only way bad failed humanity can get by". I am suggesting that it may be that humanity needs specifically and particularly to resist this message, in order to avert disaster. But we'll see what happens.

And, obviously, if humanity does need to galvanize itself against some possible coming disaster based on AGI, then the "oh haha we are being made obsolete!" attitude would be the opposite of what was needed.

Tiresias wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:40 pm Well, preliminarily, I would suggest that post-modern type misanthropic rhetorical poses (e.g., "humanity is bad!") are rather played out at this point, fwiw.
I didn't say humanity is bad. Quite the opposite. Let's celebrate OP's ingenuity and tell him to embrace it rather than lazily give in to AI.

Then we are in full agreement.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hi there,

If anyone is interested, here is a Max for Live device bundle I made to emulate Varispeed and Reel-to-Reel playback : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDDXolkuERY
Tapeloop is a sample looper with play rate control, while Tapehead works in-line and allows dubbing your signal with a processed duplicate of it.

They both simulate the nonlinearities of tape machines, creating a rich, tape-like sound that adds character and depth to any audio source. The two devices also features a built-in FIR filter, which uses impulse responses recorded from actual tape machines to add an authentic analog-like feel to your recordings.

Get them here : https://matissev.gumroad.com/l/tapes (https://matissev.gumroad.com/l/tapes)

Note that they only work in Ableton Live though.

Best to you all,

Matisse

Return to “Effects”