Best plugin for a trance gate?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is the kHS free Trance Gate fine enough? What about SPC's Gater Pro or the trance gate inside Tone 2's Multi-FX or the free Gatelab plugin?

You could check this free one too.
https://a1audio.alexhilton.net/a1triggergate
The ability to save multiple presets per instance is neat.

Gatelab is pretty amazing but if I need something quick, the Kilohearts is fine.

if you get something like lfo tool or cableguys shaperbox, you've got a bunch of things sorted in the one plugin.

but for quick, basic rhythmic gating, the khs works just fine.

I turn to Gatekeeper from Polyverse Music for quick and precise gating. It’s especially useful for the different styles of dance music production.

I used to use Camel Audio's CamelSpace for all my trancegate needs (RIP). To replace it, I purchased the Vengeance Producer Suite - Essential FX Bundle 2 mainly for the Transgate plugin. It doesn't do everything CamelSpace did (as that plugin was more than simply a trancegate), but it does everything I need it to do for that purpose, and it's quite easy to use.

There's a screenshot of it here: Image

If you are good with off/on behavior with simple attack and decay then the free destroyfx skidder is great for midi control or some simple randomization. I still use that for doing "clean edits of songs for people and often for very intricate effects on synth parts. For more involved things I would generally go to melda rhythmizer.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Polyverse Gatekeeper isn't bad...

shaperbox 3 (volume shaper module in it)
Techno and other adjacent genres
Horse On The Third Floor : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyL394 ... n4RdaCYHjA

I would stick with khs trancegate inside a khs host, multipass or snapheap, you can Trance gate only some selected frequencies, you can trancegate some part to push to a distortion and the other part for clean signal, so you basically gate the fx and not the sound, and you got all the free khs power... I also advise the paid fx...

Volcano3 has also a good trancegate preset that you can tweak with total control of the frequency range (I am just saying that to advertise fabfilter).

UltimateOutsider wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:12 pm I used to use Camel Audio's CamelSpace for all my trancegate needs (RIP). To replace it, I purchased the Vengeance Producer Suite - Essential FX Bundle 2 mainly for the Transgate plugin. It doesn't do everything CamelSpace did (as that plugin was more than simply a trancegate), but it does everything I need it to do for that purpose, and it's quite easy to use.

There's a screenshot of it here: Image
CamelSpace was legend, missing it.

DS Tantra is also quite a good one and similar in a sense.

I still have camelspace on my system. For very straightforward trance gate stuff and multi FX it's great.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Good to hear it isn't just me that thought the Trance Gate in Camelspace was the best one. I've never found anything quite as playful and enjoyable to use as that, but the A1Audio one is good. I think I'd mainly use Cableguys Shaperbox VolumeShaper now, I also need to update to v3 next time there's a sale.

Shaperbox or Infiltrator do the job very well. Or get the Kilohearts stuff and add Snapheap. As far as I know, you can then set modulators as LFOs or curves and trigger it via MIDI. Means, you can define your rhythm structure and then control volume or a filter with it…

I like Stormgate, but it's old and hard to find. I also wish curves were easier to draw on it.

Return to “Effects”