Wireless adapter options to make Midi Pad Controller wireless?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nektar WIDIFLEX and WIDIFLEX USB provide wireless MIDI solutions for your MIDI recording setup. Go wireless and get rid of those MIDI cables!
https://nektartech.com/widiflex-wireless-midi/

This nectar thing looks very nice for many uses. I only ever bothered with using wireless midi from my phone to my dad (DAW) for transport control inside my recording booth.

Edit: typo
Last edited by Ah_Dziz on Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

The problem with WIDI (Yamaha have a WIDI option too, iirc) is that they only work with 5-pin MIDI devices, and OP specifically wanted a solution for the MPD218 which is USB only (and USB bus powered at that). Which is why I suggested rtp-midi on a raspberry pi zero w (wifi on board) with the pi acting as a USB host.

There are USB to din adapters around. Dunno about compatibility. Power for a nice wireless mod might involve hacking some wires. Years ago I was looking for a wireless USB (USB through the air) system but couldn't find anything reasonable for close to real-time use and the few items I found were gonna have power issues.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Well, it's one of 2 things I am looking into after I should first find a way get the Akai's Rotary encoders to move fluidly and in time with the Plugin's fx's rotary 'Time' and 'Feedback' knobs.

I am thinking to try either try the CME Uhost which will power the midi controller or get this controller which shows some good reviews for wireless purposes:

https://www.amazon.com/M-WAVE-Controlle ... B0B66T4DHK

Problem with that unit for me if the wireless should work reliably and with the very low latency it advertises is I will have no use for the keyboard.

Problem with the Uhost is if I can live with the extra clutter of using velcro or double sided tape to attach it and a power bank and a cable neatly to my device if works reliably and with low latency then I can try it.

Seems both options won't be an ideal situation for me.

Bluetooth uses 2,4 Ghz. At home if you don't have a lot of other IoT devices and no neighbours filling up the channels this would work fine.
In an area were thousands of people are using their WIFI enabled phones and other IoTs = not so much.
The noisefloor on 2,4 GHz is horrendous already. I would NEVER use it in a live situation.
There's a reason why Bluetooth isn't used on stage with professional audio equipment.

Bluetooth uses frequency hopping so it will also screw with your WIFI.

Even a simple IKEA lightbar uses 2,4 Ghz, each time you click on or off your WIFI gets affected. I've even tested this myself, it spikes on certain frequencies and your latency+throughput dips.

Hmnn, never knew that. Any options for wifi?

mikehende wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:01 pm Hmnn, never knew that. Any options for wifi?
To be clear WIFI is a specific tech from WIFI Alliance (with members from all the big chipmakers etc). Bluetooth isn't WIFI for example. Everything wireless is not WIFI even though they can be allocated on the same frequency bands.

For pure WIFI connections, just use 5 GHz, better SNR and more channels. Or even 6 GHz if you have WIFI6E devices.
If you have an airport nearby or airplanes flying over you, don't use any DFS-channels though. Your WIFI will turn off or use automatically use other channels. It's built-in in all WIFI chipsets since it's illegal to interfere with radar.

There are products that uses licensed frequency bands for professional equipment (wireless mics etc). I'm not sure there are some other "Wireless MIDI" tech that uses better frequency bands..

But as said, using Bluetooth at home shouldn't be an issue in most cases.

Any wireless transmission device will require power from somewhere.

5-pin DIN MIDI Out usually supplies power.

USB-B (the square printer-style connection) never supplies power. (With USB, only the host device can supply power.)

Bluetooth latency for MIDI can be okay, audio is much more problematic.

There are also wireless USB systems that don't use bluetooth.

anotherscott wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:20 pm Any wireless transmission device will require power from somewhere.

5-pin DIN MIDI Out usually supplies power.

USB-B (the square printer-style connection) never supplies power. (With USB, only the host device can supply power.)

Bluetooth latency for MIDI can be okay, audio is much more problematic.

There are also wireless USB systems that don't use bluetooth.
Thanks. Any recommendations for wireless usb systems which don't use bluetooth please?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”