Cubase 12, should i buy it ? [Solved ! btw. ] .....some questions ( i can´t really gel with any DAW)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

thanks for further feedback.

could install it in the meantime.
I see, i really hope cubase is the one.
( i finally used to work with cubase 5 for several years, some full Moons back )

If you used C5, you're going to get into C12 very easily - it's very recognizable with essentially the same workflow, but obvs modernized with all the latest features. I was using SX2 for donkeys years when I took a break out of music for a few years. When I got back into it, I bought C10 and it took me seconds to find my way around even after all those intervening versions. Now on C12 and it's like an old friend from Cubase 1 days, but still sometimes surprises me with how powerful it is now. It's steadily improved on areas it needed improving on without losing what made it a popular sequencer to start with. Some complain about Cubase sticking too much to tried and tested workflows but it's a strength to me.

kritikon wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:04 pm It's steadily improved on areas it needed improving on without losing what made it a popular sequencer to start with.
but back then, i switched from C5 to SX2, then SX3,......and i could nolonger gel with it.
which was finally a main reason to quit the computer nearly completly, exept of dealing with wavelab.
since, i never found back to deal with DAWs.

i need to have quick quick quick zoom in-out.
i´m on a Trackpad/Mac. lotsa stuff i see in videos is not working "then" for me.
....even if i wanted, i can´t place a good mouse

that was very annoying with BW the other day.
it was not working for me, like showed in a YT video.

interesting to see, that several folks here stay with cubase "and" Bitwig !
guess, i see the sense.

I really like the MacProVideo tutorials in general and especially about Cubase and Logic. Take a look at this tutorial:
https://www.macprovideo.com/course/cuba ... -to-cubase

It is not free, but it worth it IMO. I bought it when discounted (they do that from time to time) and it was about 70% discount or so. The first three videos are free though to get a taste of it.
It is very useful tutorial as it it like a crash course of the most used shortcuts ...etc. The tutor is also a very good teacher. See if you like it and be as a quick guide for you.

EnGee wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:59 pm I really like the MacProVideo tutorials in general and especially about Cubase and Logic. Take a look at this tutorial:
https://www.macprovideo.com/course/cuba ... -to-cubase
interesting !
i just clicked into the first video, i guess, and it just took less than 20seconds, and had allready a crucial query, answered. Nice !
....since i was not able to find any audio interface settings, haha.
EnGee wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:59 pm It is not free, but it worth it IMO. I bought it when discounted (they do that from time to time) and it was about 70% discount or so. The first three videos are free though to get a taste of it.
its $29 to own it, now. So, this might go 70% down ?
the rent is too high for me. since i can´t say if i´ll ever be ready to watch MANY such videos in short time. i really struggle watching anylonger anything YT. I waisted there so much time, watching nonsense tutos.

But seems a good idea i guess !
Funky40 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:58 pm i need to have quick quick quick zoom in-out.
now, this was very much to my liking how it is !
( just had tonight my first cubase start session)
I NEED THIS ( good zoom vs. trackpad)

thanks @EnGee for giving me a hand, much appreciated !

I bought it for $7 or $8 when discounted, so I bought 3 tutorials. The other two for recording and editing and the other for mixing amd mastering.
Although I know about 65-70% of what he teaches, the bits I don't know are important and glue all in a nice way. I suggest you wait till the discount which runs every few months. You can start make a list of the shortcuts you want to know, like zoom horizontal and vertical and return to full size. Also, how to navigate using the pad keys ... etc then search for these either in the user's manual or the net.
Both Cubase and Logic have lots of shortcuts and they need some time to memorize, but they are crucial for a fast workflow.

EnGee wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:04 am I suggest you wait till the discount which runs every few months.
i´ll wait until i feel ready. ....checking there for sales in the meantime.
I need to be into an app allready a bit, bevore Videos begin to make sense, watching.
Thats what i just figured out, freshly again.

But: looks good so far, vs. my initial start ! better than with the other DAWs ! :love:
EnGee wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:04 am Both Cubase and Logic have lots of shortcuts and they need some time to memorize, but they are crucial for a fast workflow.
i´ve had two questions open, one i just solved:
i mapped "R" to start "recording" / That was right now my main gripe. solved ! :hihi:
Yes, things need to flow ! shortcuts are totally crucial.

the other open point i have, is: ( maybe you can help ?)
what settings do i have to set up ,-upfront-, to make a NON-tempo based recording (audio) ?
or: what keywords do i need to type into the manual, respectivly what pages do i have to check ? (switched to english manual now)

Doms, Video explains how to proceed afterwards. But seriously, he talks too much.....
Everybody does this. Thats why i hate to watch videos. At least tutos, when just a small question was open.

I need to understand the upfront setup, respectivly how to proceed, when doing NON tempo based recordings. I think the stepps afterwards, when a recording was donne are clear now to me.

Or do i just set any tempo, ....just ignore....and would afterwards, after the reecording go to: ...../project....there: "create tempo from track" ( not sure how its named in english / its the entry above: "Tempotrack" )

Well, for the tempo detection, you can access it from menu: Project/Tempo detection. It is disabled, so first record midi or audio then while the track highlighted, go to Project/Tempo Detection. Then click "analyse". You don't have to set any tempo prior to that. Then you will have a tempo track showing you the tempo according to your play.

For the shortcuts. I don't really change anything, just learn what's already there. Play this video several time and you will find it give you the most of what you need ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCW7Bx2DUc8

EnGee wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:30 pm Well, for the tempo detection, you can access it from menu: Project/Tempo detection. It is disabled, so first record midi or audio then while the track highlighted, go to Project/Tempo Detection. Then click "analyse".
I see, and understand. ( ahh, english: "tempo detection" )
So, there is finally no preparation due. Good !

i´ll check the video !
Much appreciated @EnGee!

...trying to switch my cubase now over to english.
just no clue how. i fear its in the installation dialog.

:tu:
Good luck!

cubase 12 is excellent for working with audio with fluctuating tempo ,Tempo detection tool is the quick answer and if their are any minor discrepancies you can correct them with the warp tool ,you could use the warp tool back in cubase 4 to achieve this and you can map out any wild tempo fluctuations very easily but it can be a little time consuming but well worth it , i used cubase to copy well known songs, for example ,i`d import Bowies "space oddity" which has fluctuating tempo into a new project ,open the detection tool on it and this would give me a tempo track of the song near perfect then i could re create the drums with midi and it is all quantized to the bowie audio track ,then i `d attempt to recreate the song with guitars and wot not ,good fun and it improves your editing and mixing skills .because you have a great reference track lined up perfectly with your interpretation ,editing in cubase is a doddle ,my brother had the latest pro tools and the editing in that daw looked more complicated to execute.Cubase is great but its all i`ve ever known .

Steinberg doesn't do a good job promoting Cubase and the many hidden gems that frankly blow away competition in many areas.

I find Audio editing to be perfect for my needs, depends on what kind of sound design you're looking at doing. Latency will be at the mercy of your PC and interface, cubase has many advanced options like most other daws for bit rate etc so you'll want to find your perfect balance. It's a linear daw, but can be used in non-linear ways, but again depends on what you're after -- arranger track is all I personally need, however if you have other aspirations you can always make your own global workspace and plot out some unconventional windows to customize how you'd like to work.

Couple other items off the top of my head I find invaluable and better than most DAWS and 3rd party plugins:

Midi functionality across the board -- too much to mention.
Multitap Delay (more functionality than most 3rd party delays)
Variaudio -- I don't like most 'auto-tuning' apps, this just jives so easy and can be amazingly transparent and does more than you could imagine
Frequency 2 (SO good, better than many top expensive EQ's, even Fabfilter on many fronts).
Supervision. Holy crap this is also SO good. If you know what you're looking for, there's nothing else out there more comprehensive.
Spectralayers - Basic one comes with cubase, its all most people will need to examine vocals and mixes from tracks.

I could go on there's so much to mention. Best advice is that whatever DAW you pick, start examining the stock functionality and plugins at a deeper level right off the bat -- find the gems that you need then build up what you're certain you're missing.
Have you tried Vital?

Thanks for feedback.
looks "ok" .....well, good.....so far. Taking my progress into account. ;)
Means: i stumbled over several drawbacks in the meantime, but have solved most of them.
I´ve not yet tested any midi mapping so far. Thats still an open one.

Found my way into it. Means, i´m fine with how the basic functionality works, and i found the menu entrys i needed to have, to set things up.

so, i guess, i will invest my DAW time into cubase from now on.
( while i can operate Live11, but i don´t like the arranger view, there / i´m not familiar with that part of live)

Shake hands, you folks were of nice help for me !

yet, i still hate DAWs in general.
but it looks like cubase and i can become Friends good enough, so that i will steadily continue to make some test recordings etc. (That was not so much the case with the other DAWs i tryed)
I can´t produce, its not my thing. So, the biggest stumbling block lies there, in fact !
Thats why its even way more necessary to me to have a DAW, where the very basic things would run flush and fluffy, the way "I" like it. That was a good decission, to buy cubase12 ;)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”