Audiority Dark Memory updated to v1.1.1 - Vintage BBD Echo/Chorus (AAX, AU, CLAP, VST2, VST3)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dark Memory

How does it compare to the AT5 Memory Man?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:51 pm How does it compare to the AT5 Memory Man?
Really? Comparing outdated, generic Amplitube fx stomps that were coded more than a decade ago, with a precise, focused, standalone modeling of Audiority, using latest, cutting-edge tech? Not even a chance.

That Amplitube Deluxe MM model has been there at least since Amplitube 3 if not earlier. Maybe Amplitube 2 even. And it lingered on from version to version. With Amplitube 5 they re-used it once again, but added a prettier skin to it for the stomp to look more nice, that's all.

Amplitube stomps were never true to what they were supposed to be emulating, none of their pedal emulations is accurate to the source, to begin with. And it's very, very old code, we're talking middle to late 00's here.

And to compare it to Audiority algos :lol: You gotta be kidding asking that question.

From the website:
UNDERCLOCKED BBD
The Dark Memory is a faithful simulation of the Electro-Harmonix® Memory Man™ EH7810, a late 70’s BBD echo and chorus pedal.

This “economy” version of the Memory Man™ features an under-clocked 1024-stages BBD chip, delivering a very dark and characterful delay sound.
So this does not sound like the Deluxe Memory Man that most people are familiar with.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:44 pmSo this does not sound like the Deluxe Memory Man that most people are familiar with.
Personal note:
This specific Memory Man sounds very different from the most well known big brother, the Deluxe Memory Man. The EH7810 was an economy version of the Memory Man and, in order to keep the cost down, there is no compander in the circuit. Furthermore, they used a single BBD chip under-clocking it to get longer delay times. The high frequency loss caused by the under-clocking also helped in keeping the noise floor down resulting in a VERY dark and characterful rendition of this iconic delay pedal.

This is definitely not the most all-purpose delay, so I strongly advice you to demo it before purchasing due to its strong dark character.
Gotta love KVR. The developer would go into great lengths writing a personal note about the plugin, explaining why it sounds unlike Deluxe Memory Man (because it's not Deluxe MM, for starters, it's a different thing) and strongly suggesting to demo in advance, and yet someone comes around posting sOO iTs nOthIng lIKe dELuxe meMoRymAn.. No shit, bubba! :hihi:

And another guy wants a comparison with Amplitube rubbish :lol: Pure comedy gold.

Jim Carrey called, said he wants to retire and is looking for a replacement. He wants you, guys :lol:

So that was in response to both you and electro.

It can’t be compared to the AmpliTube model, because they’re not models of the same unit. Or even similar sounding units.

And contrary to what you told electro in response, the AmpliTube model is going to sound a lot closer to the sound of the Deluxe Memory Man that most people are probably expecting.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Bought!

Love this. A lot. Herea are 6 presets I put together while playing clean electric guitar through these. These are wide and tend to use the Stereo and Spread controls because why not?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nu66dyuharmmp ... s.zip?dl=0

Some use the Boost but aren't level compensated. Sue me.

How does this sound on bass or low end synths? Dark & low go together like chocolate & peanut butter. The McRocklin video is so guitar specific. Seems like the original hardware is rare enough that no home noodlers or bass aficionados have talked about it or created videos. Hopefully we get a few more videos in the coming weeks for the Dark Memory. I like to give every release by Audiority a look and the User Area price has got me rubbernecking, but may not have time to properly demo until end of month so just putting this question out there.

kidslow wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:50 pm How does this sound on bass or low end synths? Dark & low go together like chocolate & peanut butter. The McRocklin video is so guitar specific. Seems like the original hardware is rare enough that no home noodlers or bass aficionados have talked about it or created videos. Hopefully we get a few more videos in the coming weeks for the Dark Memory. I like to give every release by Audiority a look and the User Area price has got me rubbernecking, but may not have time to properly demo until end of month so just putting this question out there.
Sounds fantastic. I tested it on some bass, pad and keys patches I made in Dune 3. This and Audiority chorus ensembler are go to chorus effects. I like this one for the mod and duck. Has a more lo-fi vibe to it than chorus ensembler. As always, top notch stuff from Audiority.

Audiority wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:18 am Extra discount in User Area for existing customers (free plugins excluded)

Cheers,
Luca
Thanks for extra discount Luca :tu:

yes! thank you for the extra discount. very cool of you ;)
yet to delve into this one. Is there any high pass planned? might be moot for a 'dark bucket brigade' effect, but just wondering. will try on some dubby chords and see where and how the build-up sits in a mix. I don't have any experience with the original hardware.
cheers

Can't find many videos about this version of the Memory Man, but this is a nice one:

https://youtu.be/1TSS_6TS68E

I'd like to see Audiority make a software vs hardware video like they did with PlexiTape though.

sqigls wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:35 am Is there any high pass planned?
This seems a good idea to control those lows. Maybe also Pre-Emphasis to make the first repeats a bit brighter.

Bought! Audiority emulations sound deep! A hi-pass filter on the wet signal would make this usable on synths and drums as well.

Lotuz2019 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:30 am
This seems a good idea to control those lows. Maybe also Pre-Emphasis to make the first repeats a bit brighter.
yeah i think i'll be using this on a send with a semi-resonant high pass for sure.
This one is great for guitars, obviously

sqigls wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:47 am
Lotuz2019 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:30 am
yeah i think i'll be using this on a send with a semi-resonant high pass for sure.
This one is great for guitars, obviously
That's a possibilty, but then the clean signal won't be coloured by the internal circuitry.

Return to “Effects”