Something is routinely corrupting my Skinman ".skin" files

Official support for: g200kg.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Several times now I have tried to open existing Skinman projects and they refuse to open. The Skinman window and control panels open (blank) for a few seconds then close.

I have other Skinman projects that do open so it's not an app issue. Something is randomly corrupting some of the .skin files. I have several generations of backed up files (that worked at the time) that do not open NOW.

I'm on Windows 10 and Skinman version 1.01 (says v 0.101 on the About screen). I've tried older versions with the same issue.

Any known cause/fix?

UPDATE: This may be a massive bug in Skinman. It does not seem to always save edited files properly. I opened a faulty ".skin" file in Notepad++ and compared it to a good ".skin" file. The "bad" .skin file has a lot of missing data. For example, the header says there are 18 objects (ObjNum=18) but when I search through the file there only 15, i.e., 3 object definitions are missing. Whatever else is missing apparently prevents the file from opening at all.

I don't know what is causing the corruption - SkinMan? Windows? - but it's not reliable. Not good.

Return to ā€œg200kgā€