UVI Plate

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Plate

simmo75 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:30 pm
jamcat wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:38 pm How does Physical Audio Dynamic Plate compare to UVI Plate?
Has anyone done a head-to-head?
I have it, and it’s amazing.
UVI’s is a carbon copy, pretty blatantly.
I didn’t buy the UVI one, I demo’d it and it was basically the same.
Does the Physical Audio plugin “scale the dimensions” of the other plates to match the steel plate’s modes, or does it give the physically correct dimensions?

For example, on UVI Plate, the EMT 240 model is 1.91m x 1.7m, which is way bigger than the real 240 gold plate. I’m actually pretty disturbed by this inaccuracy, though some people apparently find it funny.

On the other hand, I like that the UVI Plate has movable drivers and pickups. I don’t really understand why Physical Audio removed that feature early on. But I would probably buy it if they offered a bundle of the plate and spring plugins for $99.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

EMT launched their plate verb in 1957.
Pretty amazing it’s still searched after.

Fleer wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:39 pm EMT launched their plate verb in 1957.
I hear that it has crazy low CPU usage!

jamcat wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:00 pm For example, on UVI Plate, the EMT 240 model is 1.91m x 1.7m, which is way bigger than the real 240 gold plate. I’m actually pretty disturbed by this inaccuracy, though some people apparently find it funny.
Since you can change the model to any size you like I really don't see what seems to be the problem here... :lol:

Vortifex wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 4:01 pm Read the last sentence in that post...
Open up your iLok and activate the plugin. When Pace fails, like it always does, it doesn't affect the installation on the plug.

cthonophonic wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:41 pm
Fleer wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:39 pm EMT launched their plate verb in 1957.
I hear that it has crazy low CPU usage!
Yes, which is a huge advantage especially when using multiple instances...
(okay, granted, they instead take some other ressources, but who cares?)

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:00 pm Ah interesting, so they truly were first. Will check them out.
Yes, in the original UVI Plate thread there was some talk about how the UVI developer had been in contact with them prior to the development of Plate or something...

jamcat wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:00 pm
jamcat wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:38 pm How does Physical Audio Dynamic Plate compare to UVI Plate?
Does the Physical Audio plugin “scale the dimensions” of the other plates to match the steel plate’s modes, or does it give the physically correct dimensions?

For example, on UVI Plate, the EMT 240 model is 1.91m x 1.7m, which is way bigger than the real 240 gold plate. I’m actually pretty disturbed by this inaccuracy, though some people apparently find it funny.

On the other hand, I like that the UVI Plate has movable drivers and pickups. I don’t really understand why Physical Audio removed that feature early on. But I would probably buy it if they offered a bundle of the plate and spring plugins for $99.
Demo them, UVI is $29, so there’s that…

jens wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:44 pm
jamcat wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:00 pm For example, on UVI Plate, the EMT 240 model is 1.91m x 1.7m, which is way bigger than the real 240 gold plate. I’m actually pretty disturbed by this inaccuracy, though some people apparently find it funny.
Since you can change the model to any size you like I really don't see what seems to be the problem here... :lol:
No, you can change the model “size” to some arbitrary value that doesn’t actually reflect the real size at all. It is completely disconnected from the real-world design. So that’s not actually a “model” at all and it’s certainly not science.

simmo75 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:57 pm
jamcat wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:00 pm

Demo them, UVI is $29, so there’s that…
I bought the UVI. Now I’m starting to feel like I should have spent $40 more for the Physical Audio model instead. I may still buy it, but first I want to know if they give you the real dimensions instead of lies.

I figured since you owned the PA dynamic Plate, you would know the answer.

jamcat wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:00 pm
No, you can change the model “size” to some arbitrary value that doesn’t actually reflect the real size at all. It is completely disconnected from the real-world design. So that’s not actually a “model” at all and it’s certainly not science.
So, the manual isn't the most clearly worded IMO, but the way I'm reading it, it seems like they normalized the sizes to the steel-equivalent to make changing materials easier. So a real 240 [Gold] plate would effectively be something like 30x15cm, but in UVI Plate, that corresponds to 2x1m (which is what it would be for a Steel plate) so that you can easily toggle between materials without having to constantly resize the plate each time you changed material.
UVI Plate Manual wrote: Geometric Control
To make the various materials easier to deal with, the dimensions
are expressed in steel-equivalent units. For example, for a gold plate
with dimensions 2x1m “equivalent steel” is effectively 30x15cm.

The plate area mainly influences modal density and frequency.
The greater the area the higher the density and the lower the
frequencies. The shape of the plate influences mode distribution.
A square shape will have a roughly even distribution, a long
and small shape sounds like a beam, producing metallic and
dispersive “chirped” transients like a spring reverb.
Last edited by Funkybot's Evil Twin on Sat May 06, 2023 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:13 pm
jamcat wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:00 pm
So, the manual isn't the most clearly worded IMO, but the way I'm reading it, it seems like they normalized the sizes to the steel-equivalent to make changing materials easier. So a real 240 [Gold] plate would effectively be something like 30x15cm, but in UVI Plate, that corresponds to 2x1m (which is what it would be for a Steel plate) so that you can easily toggle between materials without having to constantly resize the plate each time you changed material.

Code: Select all

Geometric Control
To make the various materials easier to deal with, the dimensions 
are expressed in steel-equivalent units. For example, for a gold plate 
with dimensions 2x1m “equivalent steel” is effectively 30x15cm.

The plate area mainly influences modal density and frequency. 
The greater the area the higher the density and the lower the 
frequencies. The shape of the plate influences mode distribution. 
A square shape will have a roughly even distribution, a long 
and small shape sounds like a beam, producing metallic and 
dispersive “chirped” transients like a spring reverb.
Yes, that’s correct. But I value realism and accuracy over convenience. It’s infuriating that they don’t even respect their customers enough to give them the option of seeing the real numbers.

If they really felt the need to keep them modally consistent, they should have just resized the plate when you changed materials.

jamcat wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:16 pm
Yes, that’s correct. But I value realism and accuracy over convenience. It’s infuriating that they don’t even respect their customers enough to give them the option of seeing the real numbers.
Well then my friend, you're far too easily infuriated. :P

Counterpoint: for me anyway, it would be far more infuriating if you had to resize the aspect and move everything around every time you changed materials just to get equivalent sounds. So having them normalized to the "steel equivalent" sizes is actually appreciated here. Otherwise, A/B'ing the different materials would be a huge pain in the ass. You'd have to Copy A to B, then change the material, then change the aspect, probably move some other stuff around, then go back to A, just to hear if you prefer the sound of Gold over Steel. Whereas, they way they did it, you just select the material and done. One click to audition different materials. That seems much, much better, and much more customer focused. But hey, we all have different opinions!

dude i forgot, i have one more high quality plate to compare uvi one with, it is the freakin LiquidSonics one
aliasing plugin owner
:?

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:22 pm
jamcat wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:16 pm
Well then my friend, you're far too easily infuriated. :P

Counterpoint: for me anyway, it would be far more infuriating if you had to resize the aspect and move everything around every time you changed materials just to get equivalent sounds. So having them normalized to the "steel equivalent" sizes is actually appreciated here. Otherwise, A/B'ing the different materials would be a huge pain in the ass. You'd have to Copy A to B, then change the material, then change the aspect, probably move some other stuff around, then go back to A, just to hear if you prefer the sound of Gold over Steel. Whereas, they way they did it, you just select the material and done. One click to audition different materials. That seems much, much better, and much more customer focused. But hey, we all have different opinions!
Yes, that’s why they should have given users the option. So you could come at it from either a sound design approach or a physical modeling approach.

Return to “Effects”