Logic Pro for iPad Announced! (subscription)

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't like subscriptions for music making devices. Whether it's the DAW or plug ins, or any other part. I don't mind them for other things, but I don't want a project I worked on 5 years ago to be about a subscription. It's a good price competitive with most DAW upgrades over the years, but it's a frustrating turn really. IMO and it's probably only IMO, they ruin the chances of an AU3 VEP plug in happening by tying it to subscription making it less likely to be widely adopted.

We will see, but I really wonder how it will behave with bad internet connections? I just don't like the model that things stop working once you stop paying, that's the biggest downfall, you're stuck paying for it if you want access to your projects.

It all depends on how good the port is, but I don’t mind dipping in and out as needed at this price. I can’t even buy a sandwich at lunch for $5 these days. Hopefully it’ll be just as easy to start/stop this sub as it is with Apple’s other services.

pdxindy wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:01 am
TS-12 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:10 pm
Atlatnesiti wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:43 am
No it isn’t
its nothing like logic pro x for mac.
My impression is that it is the full Logic
How “full” though? Do we really believe it’ll have the environment, notation scoring or video support for composing to picture at launch? What about the geekier sides of Logic like the MIDI transformer or all the deeper section specific submenus? I’ll also be very curious to see if all the long neglected low-DPI vintage instruments will be brought over like Ultrabeat, ES2 or EFM1.

I could end up being totally wrong, but I suspect this will feel a bit like GarageBand Pro at first and then they’ll gradually add the rest of the more niche features over time.

Tronam wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:27 am
No it isn’t
How “full” though? Do we really believe it’ll have the environment, notation scoring or video support for composing to picture at launch? What about the geekier sides of Logic like the MIDI transformer or all the deeper section specific submenus? I’ll also be very curious to see if all the long neglected low-DPI vintage instruments will be brought over like Ultrabeat, ES2 or EFM1.

I could end up being totally wrong, but I suspect this will feel a bit like GarageBand Pro at first and then they’ll gradually add the rest of the more niche features over time.
Tronam, why, why should Apple call the new Logic Pro for iPad, IF it just a new better Garageband??
There are a lot of prestige here, and, Apple would NEVER release a product named Logic Pro if it ain’t the whole shebangs…

Sure, perhaps we will see some minor specialized features missing in first iPad version, but, it will be great, fuckin’ great to use!

OTOH< why would they call it Logic Pro for iPad if it's the same as Logic Pro on macOS? The fact they are saying "for iPad" makes me think it will not be a full port.
SLiC wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:29 amI'm excited to see it, cost of a coffee every month.
36c a month!?! Are you serious or do you pay way too much for your coffee? I doubt I buy one coffee a month from an actual cafe, it's a total rip-off. So your "cost of one coffee a month" is my "costs as much as I spend on coffee in a month", which is far less impressive.
Atlatnesiti wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:09 pm
Loudness_Contour wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:00 pm Oh no, not another subscription!
So because you're so against subscriptions, it means that you also don't have Netflix, Prime, Disney and others?
I have Prime, for the free delivery, but I don't have any of the others. They are putting Prime up next month, so I will probably cancel it. There is so much TV to watch for free, why would you throw your money away like that?
SLiC wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:12 pmNot to mention Spotify and Office365 which I couldn't live without and much prefer on subscription!
Never had either of those, either. Spotify is missing a lot of things I might what to listen to and you can do MS Office on line without paying anything.
audiojunkie wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:46 pm Each of you add up all of your subscriptions.
Then add in the cost of internet access so you can get at it.
...buying and paying for a home builds equity, while renting gives you nothing but a warm and dry place until they kick you out or raise the price.
Buying a house is a millstone around your neck, renting is a much freer way to live. And with interest rates going through the roof, pretty much anyone with a mortgage is in serious financial difficulties at the moment.
machinesworking wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:48 amI don't want a project I worked on 5 years ago to be about a subscription.
It depends how it works. I stopped paying for Arcade three years ago but I can still load up old projects and Arcade still works. I just can't go in and change anything without renewing my subscription. What I mostly do is render it out and reload it in an audio channel. Obviously with something like this, you'll need your sub if you want to do anything.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I’m not saying it won’t be good. I’m looking forward to running it on my M2 iPad Pro, but there’s still a lot of legacy baggage in Logic that Apple hasn’t touched in decades. It would make sense for them to start with the most widely used core functionality and plugins, optimize them for touch, and then get it into people’s hands so they can gradually re-add the rest depending on demand. I’m just keeping my expectations in check, especially after the initial release of FCPX.

BONES wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:44 am OTOH< why would they call it Logic Pro for iPad if it's the same as Logic Pro on macOS? The fact they are saying "for iPad" makes me think it will not be a full port.
Or it could be that the redesign of the interface for a touch screen merits calling it that? I guess we'll find out today sometime.

Tronam wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:52 am I’m not saying it won’t be good. I’m looking forward to running it on my M2 iPad Pro, but there’s still a lot of legacy baggage in Logic that Apple hasn’t touched in decades. It would make sense for them to start with the most widely used core functionality and plugins, optimize them for touch, and then get it into people’s hands so they can gradually re-add the rest depending on demand. I’m just keeping my expectations in check, especially after the initial release of FCPX.
What kind of inside informaion have you?

1. Have you seen screenshots of low-res versions of Ultrabeat, ES1 etc on Apples site for previewing Logic Pro for iPad?
2. Forget calling the iPad version LPX - the X is gone since few years on Mac, and, the iPad version will probably be version 11…

If Apple will include the legacy things you mentioned above, I’m pretty sure it will be updated with better UI and high resolution graphics…

Tronam wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:27 am
No it isn’t

Good questions. I of course don't know, but no more need to speculate cause tomorrow people will have their hands on the app and be answering exactly these sorts of questions :tu:

Yeh, like is it the 'full' version of Alchemy included!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Bring it on.....test it.....love it or leave it.....point!
I am sure it will be the most complete DAW of iOS. That is enough.
Don´t waste your time.....create or moaning!

The subscription model is unsustainable for most people when/if it gets pushed out to everything else. Sure, $5 is not much to most people, but let’s tack on $29 a month for Eventide, $29 a month for plugin alliance, $53 a month for MeldaProduction, $29 for solid state logic, $25 for slate digital, $29 for fabfilter, $25 for izotope, $24 for Uvi, $29 for Softube……every month.

Most people are going to just get 1 or none. I see a lot of companies completely disappearing if they only offer subscriptions.

I currently have Netflix (which I’m canceling when this month is over as I’m not seeing the benefits. Most of the content sucks nowadays anyway.

I use Spotify every day and there are millions of artists and new content being added daily. It’s a great way to discover new artists, too, as their recommendations are actually really good. I’d never even heard of Red Fang until I listened to them on the Clutch Radio station.

Regarding Amazon. I’m only subscribed because I got it for free from a sibling.

Maybe in the long run it’ll be good for some people as the unaffordability of everything will force people just pick one company for tools and master them. Good for that company, bad for all the others.

Some people pay more for their Tinder Premium whatever subscription.

masterhiggins wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:46 pm The subscription model is unsustainable for most people when/if it gets pushed out to everything else. Sure, $5 is not much to most people, but let’s tack on $29 a month for Eventide, $29 a month for plugin alliance, $53 a month for MeldaProduction, $29 for solid state logic, $25 for slate digital, $29 for fabfilter, $25 for izotope, $24 for Uvi, $29 for Softube……every month.

Most people are going to just get 1 or none. I see a lot of companies completely disappearing if they only offer subscriptions.

I currently have Netflix (which I’m canceling when this month is over as I’m not seeing the benefits. Most of the content sucks nowadays anyway.

I use Spotify every day and there are millions of artists and new content being added daily. It’s a great way to discover new artists, too, as their recommendations are actually really good. I’d never even heard of Red Fang until I listened to them on the Clutch Radio station.

Regarding Amazon. I’m only subscribed because I got it for free from a sibling.

Maybe in the long run it’ll be good for some people as the unaffordability of everything will force people just pick one company for tools and master them. Good for that company, bad for all the others.
Every plugins you mentioned here, do you really them all for making great music in Logic Pro?
No. No. Not a chance…
They’re supergreat, but, there are a lot of options to choose something similar to use in Logic Pro that not will be subscription…

masterhiggins wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:46 pm The subscription model is unsustainable for most people when/if it gets pushed out to everything else. Sure, $5 is not much to most people, but let’s tack on $29 a month for Eventide, $29 a month for plugin alliance, $53 a month for MeldaProduction, $29 for solid state logic, $25 for slate digital, $29 for fabfilter, $25 for izotope, $24 for Uvi, $29 for Softube……every month.
Logic is enough just by itself (assuming it is the full Logic)... no need for all those other plugins.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”