donkeyt- Anthropic - indie rokk disco house, or something.

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Been a while, but here we go. Some manner of indie rokk disco house crossover thingy, I think...which is not quite what I envisaged as a return to songwriting, but the cheesy bass VI (in fiesta red) had other ideas..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1orcjsm ... share_link

As per usual, no doubt further tinkering to be done, but I think the basics are ok.

Immediately appealing and quite vibey. The mix is great even in version one. I like how your voice sounds here -- this vocal chain works well for you. Great stuff. :tu:

Yeah interesting mix of genre elements. Great bassline. When the synth and guitar initially come in with the vocals, I might try to simplify the drums (maybe remove the snare ghost hits) a bit to give the vocals more room. But the second time around at 1:10 when all the elements come together, it works nicely. Is that a low-passed distorted guitar around 1:25? Are you layering a vocoder with the vocals? Both sound cool.

Frantz wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:56 pm Immediately appealing and quite vibey. The mix is great even in version one. I like how your voice sounds here -- this vocal chain works well for you. Great stuff. :tu:
Cheers, always trust your judgement! Made a few quite minor mix tweaks and cleaned up a few things, plus one change to the drums which I'll go into below..

Genetic_Junk wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:09 am Yeah interesting mix of genre elements. Great bassline. When the synth and guitar initially come in with the vocals, I might try to simplify the drums (maybe remove the snare ghost hits) a bit to give the vocals more room. But the second time around at 1:10 when all the elements come together, it works nicely. Is that a low-passed distorted guitar around 1:25? Are you layering a vocoder with the vocals? Both sound cool.
Great idea on the drums and I've taken it a bit further to simplify them in a few parts along the lines you suggested. Should remember my own maxim - don't f**k about on the snare. :hihi: It gives the 'verse' parts a bit more of a direct, but still quite funkeh feel .

The bit in the middle is actually chords on my bass VI (in the Lemmy stylee.. :o ) with the eq automated so it's like a low pass filter in a way yes.

There's vocoder, pitch-shifted harmonies, doubling, and a quiet distorted vocal all in there at various points!

Anyway, new version uploaded at the same link above, and many thanks for the comments and of course the top drums idea. :love:

Great groove, love the bass line. It's a cool track.

I think the vocal could use a bit more separation from other elements in parts.
eassae.com
“I do nothing professionally, I do everything for fun.”—Prince, Under the Cherry Moon

The bass is so groovy in this track!

I like the mix of electronic and acoustic instruments. The vocals are much better in the new version (much more definable). The overall production is very good.

Your music has that dreamy and melancholic vibe that always fits with mine. Too bad that not many of your tracks are presented on YT, especially the latest ones.
"Some people don't like music created on a PC and declare it as "fake". I don't care. The only thing matters to me is the end result."
SoundCloud YouTube Patreon

eassae wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 6:44 pm Great groove, love the bass line. It's a cool track.

I think the vocal could use a bit more separation from other elements in parts.
Cheers, been tinkering a bit (automation and stuff), think I've got it about right now.

VCA-089 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:15 pm The bass is so groovy in this track!

I like the mix of electronic and acoustic instruments. The vocals are much better in the new version (much more definable). The overall production is very good.

Your music has that dreamy and melancholic vibe that always fits with mine. Too bad that not many of your tracks are presented on YT, especially the latest ones.
Thanks for the kind words.

I'm always very lazy when it comes to doing stuff like the youtubes etc (but I'll make the effort now you've reminded me!). Good job I'm not doing this for any kind of money etc.. :hihi:

donkey tugger wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:58 pm
Genetic_Junk wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:09 am Yeah interesting mix of genre elements. Great bassline. When the synth and guitar initially come in with the vocals, I might try to simplify the drums (maybe remove the snare ghost hits) a bit to give the vocals more room. But the second time around at 1:10 when all the elements come together, it works nicely. Is that a low-passed distorted guitar around 1:25? Are you layering a vocoder with the vocals? Both sound cool.
Great idea on the drums and I've taken it a bit further to simplify them in a few parts along the lines you suggested. Should remember my own maxim - don't f**k about on the snare. :hihi: It gives the 'verse' parts a bit more of a direct, but still quite funkeh feel .

The bit in the middle is actually chords on my bass VI (in the Lemmy stylee.. :o ) with the eq automated so it's like a low pass filter in a way yes.

There's vocoder, pitch-shifted harmonies, doubling, and a quiet distorted vocal all in there at various points!

Anyway, new version uploaded at the same link above, and many thanks for the comments and of course the top drums idea. :love:
New version is much improved. In particular, vocals are much clearer. On bass, Lemmy style is all I know. Love playing power chords on a drop C.

Genetic_Junk wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:19 pm On bass, Lemmy style is all I know. Love playing power chords on a drop C.
That's why I got the bass VI - always loved playing chords on bass, so 2 more strings...... :love:

Plus it winds up bass players no end.. :hihi: Usually have it (and indeed all my guitars) tuned down to D on account of less bastard string snappage on the 12 strings. Because the strings are a bit thinner than on a 'normal' bass don't think it would go down as far as C without some serious floppy elastic band nonsense. :o

donkey tugger wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 7:59 pm Been a while, but here we go.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Enjoying this beat, hypnotic and quite indie-disco, lovely!!!
Way to go!

As I was telling Allomerus, I gotta start coming around here more often, especially when you post stuff. Truly one of the most talented musicians here.

Anyway, love it. It sounds a little different from your usual fare. Though the vocals give it away that it's you. What can I say? This was such a joy to listen to. I can hear the amount of work that went into this. Radio ready. Well, if it was 1973 or so. LOL. These days, I can't even listen to the radio.

Thanks for this gem. Put together an album and sell it and I'll buy it.

And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Awesome bass line. I love it when the rhythm guitar kicks in with pad. And then it gets even better with the interlude and funky horn synth thing.

Vocals sound great too.

That's a lot of sonic goodness!

Great stuff here!

Return to “Music Cafe”