how much is 1 Minute music worth in your opinion? (for a product)

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

haha thx again guys! also a great article it seems @osiris!
i see the benefits and also the downsides of something like this, i just never heard of something like this. cause i always thought credits at least are always given, how else do people fill their portfolio.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Oh, you can put in your portfolio "wrote the music to the Autumn 2023 campaign of Brand X - product Y".
But they are under no obligation to credit you.

And you might be interested in a story like this:
https://marketrealist.com/p/who-owns-th ... talog-now/
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

It's a good article and it's something that doesn't connect right away. Get paid by the minute and they can ask you to tweak it forever and not have to pay. Kind of like my friend who's a manager at a fast food place and gets a salary, yet she ends up working more than 40 hours a week and if you divvy it down, she actually makes less than the hourly paid workers. (Insane)

last time I got paid directly for a piece of music, it was someone that isn't or wasn't in business with the video, he was a photog making a demo of... I'm not sure, his video prowess? His ideas? It was 'a reel' if you get the drift.
A Craigslist post I answered actually. It was less than 2 minutes, I think less than 90 seconds long. He had to have it next day and was kind of desperate. I got it done, and charged $200. I got paid up front too. Then he wanted me to mix the combined tracks, music and VO. So I charged 80 more.
(then he didn't use my mix or anything like it) Later he asked me if I could edit some video for some more money but nothing came of it.

Point is this was not commercial work at all*, but it _was_ work (*it was genuinely amateur). But I can't quite grok doing things that aren't strictly for myself for nothing. This is what people taking advantage count on, 'you'll enjoy some exposure tho'. ON SPEC? Give me a break.
Other point was I then used the music (replacing the VO with a trumpet solo) for my own ends. Cake eaten and had, too.

osiris wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:18 pm The downside of charging per minute of produced music is that if the client requests several revisions. Which means more production time without any additional payment. You will probably go minus on such project.'
a minute of revisions is another minute of music ie they have to pay for revisions, you need that in the contract - might be worth chargin hourly rate for revisions, fixed rate for the first minute

Ultimately it’s down to two things.. What the client is willing to pay - which means how much he values your music or if he’s just after some generic something - and how much you are willing to compromise on things like, no credit, no royalties, revisions over and above what seems fair etc.
There is no one fixed hourly renumeration other than the one you are offered or the one you ask for - depending once again on how much a client wants your music specifically - In advertising where I work - the average for for a 30sec commercial 20 years ago could be as much as thirty thousand dollars in the following years it’s dropped drastically to anywhere between $500 to $5000 depending on - once again - if a client wants specifically what you do and isn’t using library stock music… now Ai:(
The best thing is to build up a relationship with a client by sometimes not bothering or making a fuss about initial payment, doing an amazing job where they feel the process was smooth running, on time and you made yourself interesting by concentrating on their needs without a hassle. That will get you in the door and in a position to ask for better conditions.
The drawback is that there are a lot of opportunistic companies who realize that there are a million musicians/composers/producers breaking down their doors begging for a job and willing to do it for nothing in the hope that something will come of it.
To be honest if someone is offering anything half way decent financially - and I have done a whole episode of a tv show for $500 - then it’s work and then on to the next.
One thing that’s very important to bear in mind….don’t get precious about what you submit. Clients are only interested in the end result and not how you slaved for days over a composition that you feel is the bee’s knee’s.

Good luck:)

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”