True Peak = -0.1 or -0.3 or even -1 ?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi guys, im sorry, i could have opened 1 topic and sum it up but i finish 1 thing and next 2 things open... i always had in Fabfiler-L TP at 0 dB, stupid me? i didnt hear any distortion on my WAVs (well excluded the ones from the stems sometimes but not because of this i think).
then i saw a mastering tutorial where someone set it to -0.1 to have headroom, in my old IKM Limiter it was the OUTPUT CEILING which i set to -0.1 and i think this is the same in Fabfilter-L.

how far would you go? to have a SAFE export? is -0.1 enough or better go to -0.3? or even lower?

here i made 2 examples of -0.1 and -1. i see the waveforms have more headroom, i think -1 TP is not needed.

1st pic

2nd pic

Both Waveforms 1st is -0.1 TP and below is -1 TP

thx!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

If inter-sample peaks are a concern then set it to -1.0 and forget about it. Exporting to a .wav file, it will be at exactly -1.0 on playback, but when you convert to some lossy format, it will change e.g. peaks can hit -0.2 to -0.3 after conversion to MP3.

If you set your initial .wav export to -0.1, you will (very likely) get overs after a lossy conversion.

Whether you can hear them or not is another matter : )

thx a lot! sorry for stupidly asking, so you mean to be sure to stay safe with trashing on conversion etc. i should use -1 TP dB?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

No problem! And, yes that's what I mean : )

Not an expert at all but always read that -1 is the advised value, one of the reason being the one mentioned here.

neverbeeninariot wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:45 am If inter-sample peaks are a concern then set it to -1.0 and forget about it. Exporting to a .wav file, it will be at exactly -1.0 on playback, but when you convert to some lossy format, it will change e.g. peaks can hit -0.2 to -0.3 after conversion to MP3.
I think I remember having read that you should keep it at about -3 dB for that reason.

chk071 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 5:49 pm
neverbeeninariot wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:45 am If inter-sample peaks are a concern then set it to -1.0 and forget about it. Exporting to a .wav file, it will be at exactly -1.0 on playback, but when you convert to some lossy format, it will change e.g. peaks can hit -0.2 to -0.3 after conversion to MP3.
I think I remember having read that you should keep it at about -3 dB for that reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brXOrmgPCfE

Watch from 6m 17s for the meat, or from 4m in if you want the potatoes too.

Both part 1 and part 2 are excellent.

Thanks. :tu:

neverbeeninariot wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:41 pm Watch from 6m 17s for the meat, or from 4m in if you want the potatoes too.

Both part 1 and part 2 are excellent.
Dan Worrall is just the best...

oh WOW! guys you helped me tremendously! im making a list for myself and post it later, also the video is just awesome, i seen the videos of fabfilter once, guess i need to rewatch all :D.
and yes im no fan with loudness wars and overcompressed waveforms.... i think it also depends on the genre, well normally not maybe cause overcompressed is overcompressed.

Return to “Production Techniques”