Audio crackle with Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and Reaper DAW

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,
I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface and trying to get as low latency as possible, I set the buffer on the Focusrite pretty low and manage to get around 4ms of latency, but when recording audio (acoustic guitar, electric guitar amp, vocals), there is some crackle noise in the audio. I thought it was just the DAW/laptop processing sound i was hearing but the crackle actually makes it onto the recording. I don't think my computer is the issue, I have a gaming laptop, 32 GB of RAM and AMD Ryzen 9 chip
I use Reaper as my DAW, just not sure what the bottleneck is, but it seems that the Focusrite is the bottleneck.
I also thought it might be my mic, I mostly use my AKG P120, but then tried also my Shure SM57 (for the electric guitar amp), and Shure SM58 (for vocals) and still hearing the audio crackle when I'm at 4 ms of latency

Check that no Wifi has dpc latency by running Resplendence LatencyMonitor, is first thing.
https://resplendence.com/latencymon

The laptop I use for browsing and writing here is turning off power to wifi card completely if setting it to airplane flight mode. Simple thing to check.

If showing 4 ms roundtrip would probably mean you run 32 samples asio buffer, or?
- then added AD, DA conversion to that

I would settle for 6-7 ms or so.

Then about Reaper, running it 8 years ago, was the first time running 128 samples asio buffer I felt a really long delay monitoring through Reaper. Had to go down to 64 samples buffer.

Reason is how Reaper handle output buffers, and if any plugin with latency it double set buffers until intrinsic pdc is handled. If one sample plugin latency, one extra buffer, if one buffer+1 sample plugin latency extra two buffers. This is not shown on menu top right in Reaper.

So if reason going so low in roundtrip is because of this, bypass plugins that cause latency or whatever function is called in Reaper to turn off pdc.

I find it hard to believe 6-7 ms roundtrip would cause serious problem monitoring through Reaper. It probably means 64 samples asio buffer.

JMTee_ wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:55 pm Hi all,
I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface and trying to get as low latency as possible,(...)
Laptops are made/tweaked to economize battery and are usually full of bloatware.
All that leads to higher DPC latency, but some tweaks may help
viewtopic.php?p=8667750#p8667750
You can also try to use higher sampling rate like 96KHz.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”