Use 12 mics to record drums with antelope studio synergy core, edge duo and scarlett 18i20 1st gen

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello guys, I have four Neumann KM184 for overheads,hi-hat and ride, two Shure SM57 for top and bottom snare, one Avantone SubKick, one akg D112 for kick,tree sennheiser MD421 for toms and floor tom and an Antelope Edge duo for the room then I have an antelope studio synergy core and a Scarlett 18i20 1st gen.
Now I connected all mics except the Edge Duo on Orion, because I'd like to use antelope preamps and I have an empty line I can't use for Edge Duo because it has a Y-splitter cable and so I connected it on 18i20 that I connected via adat to the Orion but I can't use the mic emulations because I should connect it to the antelope interface.
How do you suggest me to connect all that stuff? And which settings(sample rate,etc) do you suggest me? Thanks.

#1: Are any of the drum libraries in SuperiorDrummer, AddictiveDrums and whatelse using so many mikes?

As I recall there are about 7-8 mikes tops for a full kit.

#2. You will create loads of phasing issues due to bleed between mikes if not done properly
So wanting to proceed you have to listen to mikes and bleed a couple at a time, is my guess.
It can be centimeter adjustments of position that are needed.

Or you will create phase issues and cancellation as soon as you start to raise level of one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5p_WuRLmFc

But if you are making a sample library it's a one time job each kit, I guess.

TIUNON80 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:03 pm Now I connected all mics except the Edge Duo on Orion, because I'd like to use antelope preamps and I have an empty line I can't use for Edge Duo because it has a Y-splitter cable and so I connected it on 18i20 that I connected via adat to the Orion but I can't use the mic emulations because I should connect it to the antelope interface.
That's odd... You have chosen the only mic that requires to be connected to a specific interface not to connect to that specific interface. :shrug:

I think you know what to do already: pick any other mic (or a set, like all toms) to go via a preamp on the Scarlett. Those really ain't so bad.
TIUNON80 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:03 pm And which settings(sample rate,etc) do you suggest me?
Experimentation is what you learn from :-P
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Ok...isn't there a way to solve this problem without buying another mic?

My suggestion is you ask this to Antelope tech support.
You've spent enough with them, it's their mike and interface.

Or use only one membrane of the Dual mic. You'll get a proper signal, but not the extras.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Ok, thank you. I have another question...I have a soundcraft efx16...could it help me to make something or should I sell it?

Return to “Production Techniques”