Tonsturm releases DopplerPRO - Add energetic movement and depth to your audio

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jens wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:50 am Well, it's simply a much more accurate, authentic, complete, feature-rich and versatile emulation of the Doppler-effect than anything else I've come across so far.
well, in my case, -vs. my music working-, it is about the opposit, the abusement.
Which was also allready recognisable in the OG Demos, that this would be doable.
Just shown there as "realistic samples".

point for me is the musicality of the curvature, and also the reachable speeds.
And point is how quick you can go thru a dozend different settings.
this thing here is "playable" in that sense. edit: "its in fact jammable".
I see there the difference .

I have Tonsturm's earlier Doppler product, Traveler, which I like a lot. I tried the new Doppler Pro and thought the workflow was excellent but didnt really see the point in having both but at the price that workflow might be worth it - still undecided.
I wonder if Traveler will get the new doppler engine Tonsturm have developed?

Pretty pricey for a doppler effect, but some people who need a doppler effect might find it an upgrade, and worth the price.

Myself, I have a couple of older doppler effect products that were cheaper by quite a bit, but since I rarely use doppler, I don't see myself exploring Doppler Pro as an upgrade. Maybe if the price came way down.

Would be interested if it would have multichannel capabilities I guess.

llze wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:18 pm Would be interested if it would have multichannel capabilities I guess.
Sound Particles Doppler and GRM Tools Doppler have spatial audio capabilities but I have only used them in stereo. Does seem an opening there for Tonsturm's Traveler
The full Sound Particles has keyframe animation of sound sources in 3d space with a lot of control.

plexuss wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:53 am Well, you have direct experience with it for me so your opinion about it trumps mine. I should demo it. I'll be the one to tell me to demo it before saying anything. I just get itchy when the marketing hype gets to a certain point. I do like Tonstrurm and have a few of their other products which are excellent. I also have had less than good experience with other panners that claim to be realistic. It can't be any more realistic than a pair of speakers or headphones can reproduce, which is not very realistic. If we are talking about a multi-transducer 360 surround monitoring system, thats another story. Right/Left reproduction is not very accurate, there is only so much you can do.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppler_effect

You may want to educate yourself on what the Doppler effect actually is. Saying that "it's a panner" is rather embarrassing. Heck, even my youngest kid sort of knew what it was and could describe the effect.. and he is 11. :roll:
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Hmm, been testing the plugin for just a few minutes and indeed, whatever they are doing under the hood sounds rather impressive. All the controls are really smooth and the effect itself is surprisingly artifact free. Been sending it a bunch of pads and the effect can be used to really change the "vibe" of them by a lot. I see this being especially interesting for various noise based sounds, percussion and stuff where you just want it to go all out of whack.

At the introductory price I still consider this to be a pretty damn expensive plugin though, at least for a sort of experimental "one trick pony" effect (meaning one trick, as a doppler effect). I'm also not convinced this would be the solution for sound designers because all the modern game programming engines have this pretty much built into them. At least Unreal Engine's doppler audio block in the grid is really good and not really in need of any improvement as far as I remember.

So, at full price, this is a bit of a head scratcher in terms of pricing but maybe it's going to sell enough to recoup the costs?

Not going to lie though.. I am intrigued and really do like what I have been able to achieve with the demo. So.. a nice dinner with the missus or this? Options.. options! Consequences.. :hihi:
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:23 pm
plexuss wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:53 am Well, you have direct experience with it for me so your opinion about it trumps mine. I should demo it. I'll be the one to tell me to demo it before saying anything. I just get itchy when the marketing hype gets to a certain point. I do like Tonstrurm and have a few of their other products which are excellent. I also have had less than good experience with other panners that claim to be realistic. It can't be any more realistic than a pair of speakers or headphones can reproduce, which is not very realistic. If we are talking about a multi-transducer 360 surround monitoring system, thats another story. Right/Left reproduction is not very accurate, there is only so much you can do.

You may want to educate yourself on what the Doppler effect actually is. Saying that "it's a panner" is rather embarrassing. Heck, even my youngest kid sort of knew what it was and could describe the effect.. and he is 11. :roll:
Hi bmaniac. Nice to hear from you. I figured I would since you stalk me. I know what the dopper effect is. I studied physics in university. Yet again you are oblivious to nuances in these conversations - like a bull in a china shop. When doppler is modelled in a plugin it looses almost everything audible that makes it sound real. A real doppler effect is more than just panning and pitch change. That is what I meant by "its only a panner" its a panner with a pitch shift. Doppler effects never sound authentic with stereo monitoring - the effect is reduced to essentially being a panner because stereo monitoring is not able to reproduce doppler aspects that would otherwise make it sound realistic. Please un-idle your brain in the future and stop stalking me.

plexuss wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:02 pm
bmanic wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:23 pm

Hi bmaniac. Nice to hear from you. I figured I would since you stalk me. I know what the dopper effect is. I studied physics in university. Yet again you are oblivious to nuances in these conversations - like a bull in a china shop. When doppler is modelled in a plugin it looses almost everything audible that makes it sound real. A real doppler effect is more than just panning and pitch change. That is what I meant by "its only a panner" its a panner with a pitch shift. Doppler effects never sound authentic with stereo monitoring - the effect is reduced to essentially being a panner because stereo monitoring is not able to reproduce doppler aspects that would otherwise make it sound realistic. Please un-idle your brain in the future and stop stalking me.
The two Tonsturm dopplers are quite realistic, (I only know the new one from
demoing) the Sound Particles plugin one perhaps even more so - and the doppler in the larger standalone SoundParticles itself is quite stunning (might be the same as the plugin or even more elaborate, not sure).
All of these can be made realistic, very much so when paired with visual cues, but they are also very useful in sound design and electronic music. Sound Particles software is designed with spatialisation in mind and allows for many output formats eg 3rd Order Ambisonics The GRM doppler is probably only for fx/electronica

plexuss wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:02 pm I studied physics in university.
Oh, did you?

Doppler effects never sound authentic with stereo monitoring - the effect is reduced to essentially being a panner because stereo monitoring is not able to reproduce doppler aspects that would otherwise make it sound realistic.

so... you see...

...uhm... I mean...

...you certainly realize...

that we only have two ears, right? :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

plexuss wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:02 pmstereo monitoring is not able to reproduce doppler aspects that would otherwise make it sound realistic
if that were true, no recordings of acoustic doppler effects would sound realistic, correct?
A real doppler effect is more than just panning and pitch change.
I think we're all aware of that, including the people who develop the DSP for dopplier plugins. Would you care to expand on which specific aspects of the doppler effect cannot be reproduced algorithmically?
That is what I meant by "its only a panner" its a panner with a pitch shift.
And you know that because you've seen their code?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

neverbefore wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:57 pm I have Tonsturm's earlier Doppler product, Traveler, which I like a lot. I tried the new Doppler Pro and thought the workflow was excellent but didnt really see the point in having both but at the price that workflow might be worth it - still undecided.
There will definitely be an upgrade to Traveler. But this will be more than adding the Doppler algorithm. A few years have passed and we have different ideas for concepts now.

Traveler users get an additional $20 off from the introductory price and have been notified. We will send out reminders. Or contact us.

tonsturm wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:57 am
neverbefore wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:57 pm I have Tonsturm's earlier Doppler product, Traveler, which I like a lot. I tried the new Doppler Pro and thought the workflow was excellent but didnt really see the point in having both but at the price that workflow might be worth it - still undecided.
There will definitely be an upgrade to Traveler. But this will be more than adding the Doppler algorithm. A few years have passed and we have different ideas for concepts now.

Traveler users get an additional $20 off from the introductory price and have been notified. We will send out reminders. Or contact us.
thanks I got that offer and .... used it :)
looking forward to using your new Traveler ideas when that is ready - I have FRQShift as well, you do high quality work

Comparing dopplers you should put them side by side if you have the time. GRM Doppler does not have any specific speed settings... I´d say all Dopplers that don´t allow defined speed settings or scaling of the space are not accurate.

DopplerPRO allows speed settings beyond the speed of sound. It is accurate up to the speed of the sound barrier. We allow higher settings for sound design purposes as the "away" curve can still be modeled. Right now we seem to be the only ones modeling the floor reflections as well.

This graphic explains what we are calculating. So in Stereo with binaural panning enabled and floor reflections enabled we calculate 4 independent doppler DSPs.

Andrew Scott a sound Designer just made some really nice thunderclap recordings mainly using DopplerPRO processing a cloth rustle sound source. At second 00:50 you hear just the source audio:
https://youtu.be/vEdd1QwOFVU

@tonsturm
I own Traveler and didn't receive the $20.00 email offer, I'll contact you then.
Also, I own FRQ Shift and would have liked to know if it's now running natively on M1 Mac machine.

Return to “Effects”