Ableton Push 3 - standalone MPE controller

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I sent my Osmose back, and got a refund.
Very disappointed to be honest, great if you want to bend every note… I tried it for 2 weeks, and compared it with my Linnstrument, decided it wasn’t for me. I also preferred the Erae Touch to the Osmose.
My Push 3 is on the way, so it’ll be interesting to see how it compares to the Linnstrument.

pdxindy wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:53 pm
bmanic wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:54 pm Well I do play the piano (mainly classical) for more than 30 years now so that's not an issue. I just feel like Push 3 may be a more expressive "general purpose" MPE controller than the Osmose. I'm still waiting for my local music store to get one in stock so I can try it.

But yeah, I'm also reading everything and watching everything about the Push 3 and at least from what I can tell, the MPE implementation and the pads in general seem absolutely amazingly good. That alone is worth the money in my opinion, if it indeed is as good as it seems.
I certainly wouldn’t trade in my Osmose.

And in general, I would choose a keyboard controller over a grid controller for say improvising a melody. I have a spontaneous fluidity playing the keys that I have not matched with the grid.

I love the Linnstrument and will never sell it. It has its strengths and I can do lots of unique stuff. I still love the feel of keys and the sensitivity of the Osmose is unrivaled.
Guitar player first here, so the Linnstrument made perfect sense once you get used to the fact you can play more than one note horizontally! I went whole hog with the Linnstrument so 200 pads VS 64 means they will not be in conflict, “In key” playing makes much more sense on the Push though, I’ve never had the Linnstrument in anything but Chromatic.

machinesworking wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:34 am
Guitar player first here, so the Linnstrument made perfect sense once you get used to the fact you can play more than one note horizontally! I went whole hog with the Linnstrument so 200 pads VS 64 means they will not be in conflict, “In key” playing makes much more sense on the Push though, I’ve never had the Linnstrument in anything but Chromatic.
I’ve played enough guitar that the Linnstrument layout was immediately obvious. I still have more spontaneous fluidity on keys. Satisfying phrases just happen most often for me with keys.

pdxindy wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:32 am
machinesworking wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:34 am
I’ve played enough guitar that the Linnstrument layout was immediately obvious. I still have more spontaneous fluidity on keys. Satisfying phrases just happen most often for me with keys.
Yeah I suppose I should have stated the obvious, as a guitar player I find the layout more natural for satisfying phrases and solos etc. It would make sense you wouldn't, being a keyboard player first.

I’m also a guitarist primarily but I know my way around keys after 20 years of noodling and like that I write differently on traditional keyboards than I do on guitar…different go to keys, modes..chord shapes etc! My Osmose is a keeper, I love the EM engine and the way it works with the keybed…it’s its own thing…like a few of you I also have the ERAE touch for grid style MPE…I am not sure if I will keep it I’d the PUSH works for me, it has other uses but the way I have been using it there will be a lot of overlap.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

PS - someone has already made a max device that gives PUSH 3 standalone a song mode! Max on the standalone unit is what will make it the most powerful standalone platform I think…the mind boggles, Max will be able to turn this unit in to almost anything…other sequencers, instruments or controllers…

X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I hope Ableton updates the API to make it possible for Fors to port Opal to Push.

SLiC wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:01 am PS - someone has already made a max device that gives PUSH 3 standalone a song mode! Max on the standalone unit is what will make it the most powerful standalone platform I think…the mind boggles, Max will be able to turn this unit in to almost anything…other sequencers, instruments or controllers…

Another interesting M4L device in that regard is Song Sketch. It's much more automatic, creating different arrangements based on track types rather than letting you crafting them. But it's a great tool to break out of the loop. A version adapted for Push 3 standalone would be a great tool, I think.

https://xystudiotools.com/pages/about-song-sketch

Yes, hopefully stuff like this and lots of other cool stuff like the isotoniks Live looper (push control of 16 Live loppers!) will find there way on the standalone, with MAX4live just anything is possible!

Erf Convolution Reverb Pro don't import custom IR correctly :/

I guess I've to stick with the shitty Ableton Reverb for now :D

I find Ableton's Convolution Reverb Pro as good as any, I like that it comes with the IR Measurement Tool to make your own IR's...drag and drop pretty easy!

Hybrid Reverb is also pretty good in my opinion, convolution and algorithmic reverb with an EQ that selects the frequency range to be affected...also drag and drop audio to IR...

if only this thing had a slightly larger screen

SLiC wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:28 am I find Ableton's Convolution Reverb Pro as good as any, I like that it comes with the IR Measurement Tool to make your own IR's...drag and drop pretty easy!

Hybrid Reverb is also pretty good in my opinion, convolution and algorithmic reverb with an EQ that selects the frequency range to be affected...also drag and drop audio to IR...
But have you succeeded to import custom IR into the push 3?

I tried with a custom made, but loaded from a wav file not tweaked from the Ableton UI. It fails it seems to include the wav into the import so it fallback to the default IR response...

EDIT: they replied:

External files utilized by Max for Live devices, need to be in a location accessible for Push in order to load properly, as you can't replace missing files on Push Standalone.

To do this, I suggest you create in your User Library a folder named IRs where you store you custom IRs.
You can then create a preset for Convolution Reverb Pro or use it in a set loading the IR from this location in your User Library.
You can then transfer this IRs folder from your User Library to Push's User Library at the same level (root of User Library or same folder structure).
Now loading the set or preset from Push Standalone, should find the IR and maintain the file reference.

So I need to manually transfert the IR to the push and we should be good :) It's true those IR where on a custom folder (the one where the convolution reverb goes for search its own), so i was expecting it can then transfert automatically them...

My Push Standalone turned up an hour ago- just typing as I am updating the firmware :-)

Obviously had a quick play first, pads are fantastic...much more sensitive than PUSH 2 and the MPE works great and feels natural. Jog wheel just feels so natural (although I do keep expecting to have a down click?). Overall build quality ois fantastic, no issues at all- headphone out clear and sounds great to me. Will plug a guitar and mike in letter and see how that goes. Amazing just having it sat on my coffee table connected to wifi with just headphones plugged in, feels like a real 'instrument'.

Will update and then start to put Suite on...

New Spitfire Audio MPE Choir Packs now up (downloaded on Push, love the expression on this, well thought out MPE mapping)- Sitting on my little studio sofa rather than my desk feels so different, I have no idea why,,,it just does!

Last edited by SLiC on Wed May 31, 2023 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”