TAPE SCULPTOR: Build your own tape machine!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sinkmusic wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:51 am
zircon wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:30 pm
TIMT wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:43 am Is this just ChowTape with a more thought out interface? All the parameters are the same including the modules, other than the delay
Yes, it's based on ChowTape Model - besides the reworked-from-scratch UI there are a number of other differences/additions.

* Adjustable lowpass/highpass filter slope from 6db/oct to 96db/oct (the higher slopes, especially with makeup gain, can produce some really cool effects)
* More flexible compressor: new controls for Blend, Ratio, and Knee
* New Hiss generator in the Degrade section
* Tape delay section with four taps - you can sync it, or if you don't, the lowest delay time is 30ms which lets you do some really cool pseudo-reverb, stereo, and slapback effects
* Various expanded parameter ranges
* Not pictured in the current version: auto-gain makeup (separate from the stereo gain makeup control in the original ChowTape)
* Totally new factory preset bank (many presets taking advantage of the improved/expanded modules)
Hi,
I don't want to sound nitpicky or pedantic, but I am genuinely trying to understand : on one hand, you boldly claim that it's "groundbreaking", "Next-Generation DSP", "the future", but on the other hand you say it's based on ChowTape (which is awesome, but a couple years old already, so not really "futuristic", "groundbreaking" or "next generation").
I have read the featurelist above quoting the differences between the "regular" ChowTape and your forthcoming plugin, but I don't see anything here which could be marketed as "groundbreaking" when it comes to what makes the core of the plugin (I mean the tape sound emulation).
So is this just marketing hyperbole (I can live with that and just enjoy the plugin for what it is), or could you elaborate a bit about what are the DSP improvements on the tape emulation making that plugin "next generation"?
Don't get me wrong, I am interested into the plugin, and again I really like ChowTape, but to me a preset bank, more controls on the compressor a new GUI and HP/LP filters aren't what I'd personally call "next gen" or "groundbreaking" :)
Exactly im also cautious with this, who says you can authorize if they vanish some time.

@zircon, im waiting for support about 3 weeks now, messaged 2 times to a reply and no answer yet....
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Frankie.T wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:23 am I think the "issue" is the need to rely on external systems, that may work now, but who know in the future. Few of us are old enough to being fall into plugins that wont run anymore because the company goes out of business or just got urresponsive, so the preference for SN or key files became a kind of peace of mind for some of us.
That is a reasonable concern. Everyone has their own risk threshold. All I can say otherwise is that Impact Soundworks has been around since 2008. We've grown each year since then. We're not going anywhere :)
@zircon, im waiting for support about 3 weeks now, messaged 2 times to a reply and no answer yet....
Who did you message, our support@impactsoundworks.com inbox? If so, PM me your email address, I'll look into it. 3 weeks is way way outside our normal response and resolution time (see screenshot!) so that's very strange.
sinkmusic wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:51 amHi,
I don't want to sound nitpicky or pedantic, but I am genuinely trying to understand : on one hand, you boldly claim that it's "groundbreaking", "Next-Generation DSP", "the future", but on the other hand you say it's based on ChowTape (which is awesome, but a couple years old already, so not really "futuristic", "groundbreaking" or "next generation").
I have read the featurelist above quoting the differences between the "regular" ChowTape and your forthcoming plugin, but I don't see anything here which could be marketed as "groundbreaking" when it comes to what makes the core of the plugin (I mean the tape sound emulation).
So is this just marketing hyperbole (I can live with that and just enjoy the plugin for what it is), or could you elaborate a bit about what are the DSP improvements on the tape emulation making that plugin "next generation"?
Don't get me wrong, I am interested into the plugin, and again I really like ChowTape, but to me a preset bank, more controls on the compressor a new GUI and HP/LP filters aren't what I'd personally call "next gen" or "groundbreaking" :)
It's not pedantic at all! I'm confident and fully believe in those descriptors for the plugin as a whole, *including* the core DSP from ChowTape Model. CTM may have first come out a few years ago, but Jatin has been actively improving and expanding the DSP since then, this year included (even though we've been working on Tape Sculptor for awhile now.) There's a reason why many people say CTM is not just the best free tape model, but one of the best tape emulations, period... and Tape Sculptor is an evolution that takes it even further.

For total clarity, the core modeling behind the saturation & compression IS the same as CTM - just with more control. Having blend, ratio, and knee controls on the compressor isn't just minor quality-of-life, they're extremely useful and powerful controls for shaping the compressor function. Adding filter slopes to the Filter section also dramatically increases what you can do with it. And the tape delay section - well, tape delay plugins are often sold by themselves... so that's a really nice feature addition.

Even if we changed nothing except the UI & expanded the preset bank, as a previous CTM user myself I would still consider it a worthwhile upgrade. Just like paying for Vital is worth it for the presets alone ;) Not to mention this directly supports Jatin who has contributed immeasurably to the audio world.

In any case, I look forward to sharing audio/video demos soon!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

Thank you for the explanation, Zircon, that makes sense.

zircon wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:30 pm
uselessmind wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:47 pm Interested because Jatin ist involved.
But i assume its some kind of online authorization being used?
Authorization is very simple, just a one-time serial registration call to our server. Only happens once; no internet connection or re-authorization needed after that. There's also an offline authorization method if you keep your studio computer off the internet!
I would not call that hassle free authorization. Hassle free is a key file activation. The risk is on the consumer side because they are depended on that activation servers are always working and that reinstallations are accepted.

midi_transmission wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:29 pm
zircon wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:30 pm
uselessmind wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:47 pm Interested because Jatin ist involved.
But i assume its some kind of online authorization being used?
Authorization is very simple, just a one-time serial registration call to our server. Only happens once; no internet connection or re-authorization needed after that. There's also an offline authorization method if you keep your studio computer off the internet!
I would not call that hassle free authorization. Hassle free is a key file activation. The risk is on the consumer side because they are depended on that activation servers are always working and that reinstallations are accepted.
I respect that point of view. To me, hassle of authorization schemes is on a spectrum. I've been buying and using music software since 2003 and have purchased way more than I care to admit, so I get it. My personal ranking would be something like this.

HIGH HASSLE
* Dongle requirement
* Always-on internet requirement every time plugin is loaded
* Extremely limited # of activations and/or inability to reset your own activations

MEDIUM HASSLE
* Dongle-optional iLok
* Challenge-and-response requiring you to go back and forth between plugin and browser
* Anything requiring a separate application outside of the DAW solely for activation

LOW HASSLE
* Copy+paste serial number, internet connection required one-time only
* Copy+paste serial number, no internet connection required
* No authorization at all

----

I will go on record and say that IF anything were to cause Impact Soundworks to shut down, we would release a permanent unlock mechanism for all of our plugins. The same promise that companies like Valve make with Steam. But, I'll also go on record to say that after 15 years we're doing better than ever. ISW is part of my identity, and it supports my family. I cannot imagine it ever going away.

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

I respect your point of view as well. ;-)

It's a difficult topic and everyone has to find their solution. All I can say is that I rarely spend my money on things that require external approval after purchase these days. There are many high quality products to buy which use simple key activation.

I have many plugins to deactivate before being able to install them again on a new computer or I have to write a mail to their support to get my activation again. Managing that is a real hassle. I don't like to be afraid if I can install my plugins again in the future. My definition of hassle is not much related to the actual installation process

I would rate your solution as medium hassle. But ilok as a system as high hassle. I don't like this kind of background software on my system. At the same time I rate a simple usb flash drive without any external software as an activation target as medium hassle. Plugin alliance offers that for example.

Tape Sculptor has landed!

Available now for the intro price of $79 through June 9, 2023 (MSRP $99)

https://impactsoundworks.com/product/tape-sculptor/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCfApvV ... ndworksLLC

The modest upgrades you've done are not worth it on what was a previously free product.

TBlake wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:33 pm The modest upgrades you've done are not worth it on what was a previously free product.
ChowTape Model is not going anywhere, don't worry!

The range of sounds possible with Tape Sculptor is much, much larger than CTM even if you look at the tape delay alone. FWIW, standalone tape delay/echo plugins are quite valuable in and of themselves... I think Arturia's costs more than the entirety of Tape Sculptor :) And the power of TS' delay is that it feeds back into the rest of the signal chain, something that can't be overstated. It's incredible powerful.

As the designer of the entire factory preset bank I can also say I made extensive use of the expanded parameter ranges, the 96db/oct filter slope option, and the new compressor controls - being able to do parallel compression for example is an ENORMOUS benefit. As is auto-gain.

So I suppose it depends on what you're looking for. If you JUST want saturation, you don't care about UI or makeup gain or new presets, then the two plugins are comparable. If you're interested in greatly expanded sound design possibilities and getting even deeper into the physical model of the machine, it's well-worth it.

Your medium hassle is also high hassle to me.
Low hassle is license key file like Melda or Kuassa.

So was Chow actively involved in this or not ?
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:58 pm So was Chow actively involved in this or not ?
Yes, Jatin was the lead programmer on this project :)
ukm wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:00 pm Your medium hassle is also high hassle to me.
Low hassle is license key file like Melda or Kuassa.
Our authorization process is the same number of steps as Kuassa, maybe a couple less!

https://www.kuassa.com/redeem/

The difference is instead of going to the plugin, selecting file, and then clicking a license file, you instead copy and paste your serial number and email. In both cases, the plugin is registered forever and that's it.

What does this tape plugin give me that the others don’t?

zircon wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:28 pm Tape Sculptor has landed!

Available now for the intro price of $79 through June 9, 2023 (MSRP $99)

https://impactsoundworks.com/product/tape-sculptor/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCfApvV ... ndworksLLC
I like the variety of sounds in the demo video. Seems very well done!
A well-behaved signature.

Hi zircon did you forget me? Im waiting for a reply nearly a month with pm.... support is kinda slow with you guys... sent 2 pms which were read and i gotta say this is no fun anymore. Im loosing interest in buying your plugins for future whwn it is such a hassle to always wait a month for a reply on by mail and pm. Just letting also others know. Not my typical way but it is what it is.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Return to “Effects”