Reason Studios: Soon discontinued authorization for Reason versions 1-11

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SLiC wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:24 am Worth it to have the reason instruments in a rack IMO whatever your thoughts are on the underlying DAW.
yup. I´m only interested in "Objekt"as a VST Rack instrument. Maybe Friktion also.

i will report @ralfrobert

THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:51 pm £79.80 to upgrade to Reason 12 from Reason version 7.02 with the 60% discount is very tempting. I jumped ship many moons ago to Studio One Pro and I'm still on version 4.5.6 of that, which is rock stable for me. With Reason, I still have about 13 RE's, and of those I've only used those by U-HE because I was given the option to download VST versions of them. Weirdly, that would mean being able to use both types in Reason 12. I was going to hold out for upgrading to Studio One version 6 point whatever, till later in the year, as I don't like being a beta tester right out of the bat.

With Reason 12 though, how does Reason 12 handle scaling for older RE's you have, and what are the key things that make's upgrading really worth it apart from the price ?
The Mimic sampler is good, some unique features and good sound. All the midi Players. The new Combinator to build layers etc. To much to list...
All my RE scale nicely in Cubase. Crazy not to upgrade to be honest.

Anosou wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:16 pm
liquidsound wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:08 pm It doesn’t explain what happens to the actual usb authorizer…
It's explained here: https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... nd-earlier

The summary is that we no longer officially support the old offline authorization system (including the USB "Ignition Key" and old computer authorizations utilizing CodeMeter).

You can still simply log in to use a version prior to Reason 12. Additionally, if you authorize your computer now and don't change anything in your system/setup from now on it will likely continue to work... but this is neither recommended nor supported.
Hello Anosou, could you clarify a couple of things?

1- How many computer authorizations are allowed using the current method using Codemeter? (a link (from the link you provided) says that your new method (from 12.6 onward) will allow 3 computers. Is it the same right now?

2- On Reason 11 and below, users can currently technically can run offline forever using Codemeter.
For Reason 12.6 onward:
The long-term authorization allows for staying off-line on the authorized computer for one (1) year. (from your linked link)

I am curious as to why you chose one year for off-line access? Why not a similar authorization as before? I am curious as to the decision that makes us Reason users have to log in every year?

It may seem like an inconsequential thing for users to do, but it is a big change from before.

festeringheap wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:06 pm
Anosou wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:16 pm
liquidsound wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:08 pm It doesn’t explain what happens to the actual usb authorizer…
It's explained here: https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... nd-earlier

The summary is that we no longer officially support the old offline authorization system (including the USB "Ignition Key" and old computer authorizations utilizing CodeMeter).

You can still simply log in to use a version prior to Reason 12. Additionally, if you authorize your computer now and don't change anything in your system/setup from now on it will likely continue to work... but this is neither recommended nor supported.
Hello Anosou, could you clarify a couple of things?

1- How many computer authorizations are allowed using the current method using Codemeter? (a link (from the link you provided) says that your new method (from 12.6 onward) will allow 3 computers. Is it the same right now?

2- On Reason 11 and below, users can currently technically can run offline forever using Codemeter.
For Reason 12.6 onward:
The long-term authorization allows for staying off-line on the authorized computer for one (1) year. (from your linked link)

I am curious as to why you chose one year for off-line access? Why not a similar authorization as before? I am curious as to the decision that makes us Reason users have to log in every year?

It may seem like an inconsequential thing for users to do, but it is a big change from before.
1. The CodeMeter solution was based on authorizing one computer. If you had access to a USB Ignition Key, you could also authorize that. In other words, the new system is much more generous and it's also seamless (it authorizes automatically and continuously refreshes that authorization when you log in unless you explicitly log out, for example on a shared computer).

2. We made a couple of tradeoffs in the new authorization solution. After research, surveys, and talking to music makers we decided that removing all encryption of song files, making the authorization transparent, and allowing three computers offline was the best way to go for a good experience.

A very vast majority of people connect to the internet at least once a year and that's also the only way to get free updates, bug fixes, and new devices etc. Supporting a computer completely offline forever would have had other downsides that we didn't want.

I am connected to the internet nearly every day but I wont support that licence model, so after 20 years of Reason I am out now, won't buy it / update it / support it anymore.... Good luck!

LaLivre wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:42 am I am connected to the internet nearly every day but I wont support that licence model, so after 20 years of Reason I am out now, won't buy it / update it / support it anymore.... Good luck!
which DAW are u gonna use now?
SoundCloud
"I believe every music producer inherently has something unique about the way they make music. They just have to identify what makes them different, and develop it" - Max Martin

3lu5iv3 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:27 am
LaLivre wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:42 am I am connected to the internet nearly every day but I wont support that licence model, so after 20 years of Reason I am out now, won't buy it / update it / support it anymore.... Good luck!
which DAW are u gonna use now?
Studio one, Cakewalk or Ableton.....I will see. But that is off-topic. :wink:

To be fair to the Reason people they probably thought this was an acceptable solution seeing as the old Codemeter system already required you to go to their website (thus only working on an internet connected computer) and authorise your computer for offline use via some clunky utility program that every install stuck on your HDD. What they fail to realise is that this stupid web browser reliant design was always stupid, not to mention riddled with points of failure. Removing that part of the process must seem to them a huge advance towards a sane auth process. What baffles me is that other software manufacturers have been able to provide a very reliable and straightforward challenge-reponse offline auth system for decades. You install the program, it gives you a cryptographically generated file based on unique hardware details of your machine. You take this file to your 'internet' computer and upload it through their website to an authentication server, which then gives you a key file. You put that file on the 'music' computer and it will work even through multiple re-installations. Apparently this is too complicated for most people to figure out these days so the answer is just 'do you even internet bro'. Hopeless.

I also notice that hardly anyone mentions the fact that Reason 12 may not be compatible with everyone's machine. Another assumption that manufacturers make without heed to the limits of their users' ability to constantly afford the latest greatest when what works already has done just fine up until one company make some bone-headed decision based on corporate cost considerations disguised as a boon for the serfs.

Bye, bye :D
Hopefully we don’t have to see you here anymore :wink:

Atlatnesiti wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:22 am
Bye, bye :D
Hopefully we don’t have to see you here anymore :wink:
The "good luck" was adressed to the Reason guy. But reading something like this from someone who uses a QR Code as an avatar makes me feel good. :)

What a shitty, assholish move. Reminds me of shitty NI. This has to be illegal.

Anosou wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:21 am
1. The CodeMeter solution was based on authorizing one computer. If you had access to a USB Ignition Key, you could also authorize that. In other words, the new system is much more generous and it's also seamless (it authorizes automatically and continuously refreshes that authorization when you log in unless you explicitly log out, for example on a shared computer).

2. We made a couple of tradeoffs in the new authorization solution. After research, surveys, and talking to music makers we decided that removing all encryption of song files, making the authorization transparent, and allowing three computers offline was the best way to go for a good experience.

A very vast majority of people connect to the internet at least once a year and that's also the only way to get free updates, bug fixes, and new devices etc. Supporting a computer completely offline forever would have had other downsides that we didn't want.
Thanks for your reply. Hopefully you can take the time to clarify a couple lines:

1 -- it authorizes automatically and continuously refreshes that authorization when you log in unless you explicitly log out,

Are you saying that each time you do log on, the new one year off-line authorization is authorized?
Or do you authorize off-line capabilities on a specific date and "renew" the authorization yearly?

2 -- we decided that removing all encryption of song files
So, I feel like a dumb-ass, but I don't understand that...

I think the title of this topic is not correct. It should be named "Soon discontinued Codemeter authorization for Reason". It wouldn't be so clickbait-y anymore then, of course.

wvshpr wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:56 am What a shitty, assholish move. Reminds me of shitty NI. This has to be illegal.
It isn't. Software is subject to change, which includes the copy protection. You're still able to authorize via login (at least the versions which allow that. Not sure about the others.), so, there's nothing illegal about it.

I'm getting old and suitably feeble of mind and don't really get it. It looks my like my latest updated R 12 is still using the code-metre stick, and this is apparently being phased out, so do I have to do somthing about that ? Other than update of course. I don't feel it' s been explained or maybe I just missed the memo

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”