Arturia FX Collection 4 out now!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

An Arturia made chainer similar to the Waves Studiorack would be excellent.

It lets one insert VSTs on configurable EQ bands, per band panning, widening, and volume, parallel and serial routing, and a configurable quick controls section with macros.

adl wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:15 am
octaveup wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:24 am Updating from FX Collection 3 to 4 using Arturia Software Center...

Had to run *30 separate installers*!?! :scared:
You can use the "update all" option and it will install everything by itself, but yeah, it needs to install every single one after another.
Does anyone know why on a few of their plugins the ASC doesn’t give me a dialog box to choose which versions to install and just installs everything whereas with most of them it does? I don’t have silent install turned on and I have tried the clear prefs button before a reinstall but neither works.

Analog Lab and Analog strings are the two I remember that have this problem but there were a couple of others. Only a minor annoyance but I could do without the NKS stuff being installed.

I guess at $99 I'll crossgrade. I'm happy with the V-Collection and the crossgrade price is a lot of bang for the buck.

Btw, I can't really see why I'd want an Arturia rack system of sorts. The mixer track in my DAW serves very well as a rack and I can mix and match vendors as I see fit.

$49 for me, only pieces I don't own already are the new LX reverb and the Rotary thing. Think I'll pass on this one and wait for v5. Just bought the SoundToys update, and got yet another reverb for $30, already have more Lexi IR's than I can handle, and got a real Leslie I can use if I need it.

I wish they would roll all the 'freebie' licenses into your full product when they finally get you to cave and buy the collections so I could clean up my ASC list.

nanostream wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:09 am
jamcat wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:58 am LX-24 is worth the $49 alone.
Maybe, but probably only if you don’t own any other reverbs.
Rev LX-24 is not just another reverb. It’s the only authentic recreation of the Lexicon 224.

I have LOTS of other reverbs, but none of them do what the LX-24 does.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

I appreciate they cut out some of the background and made the LX-24 less wide when in the LARC view. So kudos to them on that.

SLiC wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:44 am They so need to put this in some sort of 'rack' now so combinations of these fx can be saved as one patch....
If you use Logic or Studio One v6 you can save "Track Presets" that allow you to recall the track exactly as it was configured including all insert FX and send FX along with the virtual instrument plugin if one had been instantiated.

This of course isn't quite the same thing as an "FX Rack." I think you're right. Arturia needs to develop something like SoundToys "Effect Rack."

https://www.soundtoys.com/product/effect-rack/

Or maybe something even more sophisticated like Reason's "Combinator."

https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason ... combinator
D-550, EX-8000, Juno 60, Matrix-1000, MicroWave I Rev A, MicroWave II XT, MKS-7, MkS-20 x2, MKS-30, MKS-50, MKS-70, MKS-80 rev 4, MKS-80 rev 5, Nord Rack 2, Nord Rack 3, Pulse 1, Pulse 2, REV2, Shruthi SMR-4 MKII, Shruthi 4MP, Tetra, Virus TI2 keyboard

jamcat wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:47 pm Rev LX-24 is not just another reverb. It’s the only authentic recreation of the Lexicon 224.

Ahem - Universal Audio licensed the actual algorithms from the 224 and they've even modeled the bugs. Plus it has the official Lexicon seal of approval. So the UA version is the ONLY authentic recreation of the 224.

hurricaneaudiolab wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:41 pm
jamcat wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:47 pm Rev LX-24 is not just another reverb. It’s the only authentic recreation of the Lexicon 224.

Ahem - Universal Audio licensed the actual algorithms from the 224 and they've even modeled the bugs. Plus it has the official Lexicon seal of approval. So the UA version is the ONLY authentic recreation of the 224.
Well, as you may know Lexicon lost the 224 code decades ago, so UA blackboxed it from scratch. General consensus on the UA 224 has always been that it's not quite right. I don't know if Arturia modeled bugs, but they did model the AD/DA converters. Consensus on Arturia is they nailed it.

jamcat wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:53 pm Well, as you may know Lexicon lost the 224 code decades ago, so UA blackboxed it from scratch. General consensus on the UA 224 has always been that it's not quite right. I don't know if Arturia modeled bugs, but they did model the AD/DA converters. Consensus on Arturia is they nailed it.
It's the 480 code that was destroyed. 224 code was never lost.

This "consensus" you speak about in both cases - I'd like to see the data. The consensus that the UA 224 is " not quite right" and the consensus that Arturia "nailed it". :?:

edit: want to add, from UA's 224 manual:

"Using the exact algorithms and control processor code from the original hardware, the Lexicon 224 plug-in precisely captures all eight legendary reverb programs and the chorus program — based on the Lexicon 224's final and hard-to-find firmware version 4.4. The Lexicon 224 plug-in also incorporates the original hardware's input transformers and early AD/DA 12-bit gain stepping converters."

Hi

There are a few 'chainers' around, but if Arturia put one in the FX collection it would allow users to 'deposit' their creations and share which would be great because you would undoubtedly get people creating some really crazy stuff.
Also - what a selling point: 1.7 million users pre sets included....

hurricaneaudiolab wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:08 pm
jamcat wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:53 pm Well, as you may know Lexicon lost the 224 code decades ago, so UA blackboxed it from scratch. General consensus on the UA 224 has always been that it's not quite right. I don't know if Arturia modeled bugs, but they did model the AD/DA converters. Consensus on Arturia is they nailed it.

This "consensus" you speak about in both cases - I'd like to see the data. The consensus that the UA 224 is " not quite right" and the consensus that Arturia "nailed it". :?:

edit: want to add, from UA's 224 manual:

"Using the exact algorithms and control processor code from the original hardware, the Lexicon 224 plug-in precisely captures all eight legendary reverb programs and the chorus program — based on the Lexicon 224's final and hard-to-find firmware version 4.4. The Lexicon 224 plug-in also incorporates the original hardware's input transformers and early AD/DA 12-bit gain stepping converters."
I just wondered why anyone needs another 224 emulation, if UAD already implemented the original algorithms. I mean, how would anyone get closer than that?

Not that people would still buy other emulations, of course. ;)

chk071 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:59 pm
I just wondered why anyone needs another 224 emulation, if UAD already implemented the original algorithms. I mean, how would anyone get closer than that?

Not that people would still buy other emulations, of course. ;)
UAD prices, and some people still are anti-ilok. Also, UAD's plugins are NFR.

The 224 usually goes for $349 (!), however it is on sale now for $99 and you could get it for way cheaper stacking some thank you coupons if you have them.

That's incorrect. Here is what Michael Carnes (formerly of Lexicon) said in 2009:

"Unless David Griesinger has a copy of 224 code squirreled away (something he says he doesn't), that code was lost 15 years ago when the company sold the computers that built it. Recreating that code would take a substantial amount of time."

hurricaneaudiolab wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:08 pm This "consensus" you speak about in both cases - I'd like to see the data. The consensus that the UA 224 is " not quite right" and the consensus that Arturia "nailed it". :?:
That's just my read on it, from reading discussions about both on Gearslutz/space. When UA's 224 came out there was a lot of comparisons to the hardware and the consensus was they weren't quite the same. But of course people who own the hardware will always say that.

hurricaneaudiolab wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:08 pm edit: want to add, from UA's 224 manual:

Arturia also modeled the transformers and converters and 4.4 firmware. UA's claim they used "the exact algorithms and control processor code from the original hardware" is highly suspect, given what we know.

jamcat wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:22 pm
That's incorrect. Here is what Michael Carnes (formerly of Lexicon) said in 2009:

"Unless David Griesinger has a copy of 224 code squirreled away (something he says he doesn't), that code was lost 15 years ago when the company sold the computers that built it. Recreating that code would take a substantial amount of time."

hurricaneaudiolab wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:08 pm This "consensus" you speak about in both cases - I'd like to see the data. The consensus that the UA 224 is " not quite right" and the consensus that Arturia "nailed it". :?:
That's just my read on it, from reading discussions about both on Gearslutz/space. When UA's 224 came out there was a lot of comparisons to the hardware and the consensus was they weren't quite the same. But of course people who own the hardware will always say that.

hurricaneaudiolab wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:08 pm edit: want to add, from UA's 224 manual:

Arturia also modeled the transformers and converters and 4.4 firmware. UA's claim they used "the exact algorithms and control processor code from the original hardware" is highly suspect, given what we know.
Michael did say that, but he misspoke.

Also notice how you don't see UAD claim they used the exact algorithms for their 480. They modeled the algorithms.

Return to “Effects”