How much money have you spent on plugins?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

around $2000. can produce enough, but you know enough is not enough!
Kwang-il Lee

Absolutely nothing ever. The last freeware plugin I used was Modartt Pianoteq, but I have been on the gratis and libre open-source software path since. The most I ever use now is Ardour and/or Surge XT, usually the latter standalone.

Way too much when I count the random plugins I don’t recall buying from small random businesses. Then there are those that I loved but they went out of business.

If I could do it again I would only own native instruments Komplete and the rest would have gone to hardware so I at least have something to show for the money.

Michael L wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:45 am
BONES wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:13 amyou don't need to learn all the ins and outs, especially with the ubersynths, which are so broad that most of us will only ever use a tiny subset of the features available.
Why waste a bucket of money on uber-features you will never use?
Spend $0-10 for a simple synth that does one thing well (what you do) OR spend a bucket of time to learn a more costly ubersynth (what I do).
Either way, you are considering both types of cost.
That's my only point.
It's worth noting that most of the ubersynths ship with tons of presets that use the fancy features that a person like me may never really explore fully, so the fact that they are present is still of value. I just want to write music and I don't think I'm alone in that—I tend to buy synths for inspiration—it seems to work for me as I'm fairly prolific and I enjoy going back to things to re-orchestrate with new goodies that I have, etc.

Shane Sanders wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:59 pm ubersynths ship with tons of presets
Everyone seems to find a new way to spend time/money on plugins!
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

150€ recently on Valhalla stuff. Before that, Tonex.
All in all, enough for a nice Martin guitar. :help:
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Way too much. Softube had some nice deals lately on stuff I was demoing and really liked/wanted...
Marshall Bluesbreaker 39€
Empirical Labs Mike-E Comp 99€
OTO Biscuit 79€
Summit Audio EQF-100 / TLA-100A 98€
and the new Bus Processor 89€
and Baby Audio's BA-1... 44€
and GForce Minimonsta 65€
and Kazrog True 252 27€
that was just this month... I met my quota for 2023. It's enough now :cry: :hihi:

edit: scratch that... Purafied VU Compressor just joined the roster. And that's it. For now
edit 2: and Purified Micro Limiter and Softube Drawmer 1973 and Softube Chandler Germanium Compressor and Tonelux Tilt aaaaand Pulsar 8200.......
but that's really it.......... for now
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

Ye much more than i want to admit and most of them collecting virtual dust. Imo instruments got the most value other than that most of the daws got pretty good stock vsts and there ar also a lot of decent free ones, but the paid ones…. Just so pretty 🫣

Better questions: How much value (not necessarily monetary) have you received from the plugins you've purchased, and does it exceed what you've spent??

Too much. And I don't use enough of them. I should have just stuck to what is in my DAW

you mean this week or in my lifetime?
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

MidnightRunner wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:41 pm Too much. And I don't use enough of them. I should have just stuck to what is in my DAW
Me too. When I changed from Intel to ARM M1, there weren't many 3rd party plugins that worked natively. So I did a quick workup with just Logic's native plugins. Different that some 3rd party stuff, but perfectly acceptable.
Logic has the tools to work ITB quite well, with the exception of the amp sims, which I haven't tried in a while. Maybe they're useable, I don't know.
I reckon I've spent over 3000€. It's slowed down, but there's still a couple of Valhalla plugs that I want.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

About 1200 EUR, all u-he synths and MFM2 delay and all plugins from Valhalla ($50 for each plugin is not much imo, some sell such plugins for $150-300).

Purchasing plugins are fun but making music only with free plugins would be also fun I guess.

Absolutely nothing this year. Though I might get that Quantum Quantec reverb thingy, and I think I need to get another delay that does decent filter delay for dub - Valhalla doesn't seem to be able to do that and it would be good to be able to do it with one plugin without having to dick around with returns in the mixer. There aren't any synths out there that interest me particularly. That Cherry Jupiter6 almost tempted me, but not quite enough.

But hw - oh yeah :hyper: , there are still some synths I need to buy.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”