Ooh, I like This Modular Rack...

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Stefken wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:52 am My adventures in eurorack/modular are fairly new.
So here is my take on it.

I think what sets hardware modular apart from other implementations (software, hardware 'premade' synths) is: tactile response, experimentation, modulation. And if you go into hardware modular I think these are the reasons to do it for.

And if you do it for other reasons, there are probably better alternatives.

Tactile response: I experimented with software modular, but the tactile response of putting in patch cables, turning knobs and just messing/experimenting about was not something I experienced with a software modular on screen.

Experimentation/modulation: I think there is a strong 'culture' in modular of ... what if i mix these signals and than modulate this with that and then ... and then... It s a lot about experimentation. And using basic tools in a university synthesizer kinda way to see what tonalities will emerge. Modular is in my view more of a sounddesign tool than a music production tool.
Sure, you can adopt groove box methodologies and i think it is important to retain a musical sauce in your rack so you get more out of it than quirky sounds and patterns. But imo it takes more work (and more money) to get that musical sauce in modular.
Do you want instant chords, do you want a fair amount of tracks? You might be better off with a groovebox or a premade synth where everything is ready to go for that very purpose.

Modular is a world of possibilities. I have a ton of different voices, filters, synthesis methods in one rack. No premade synth can offer this many choices. It is hardware. The filters are typically analog, the digital modules all have their own processor so you are sure they will not lock up. This is a very good basis for good sound quality and probably gives you an edge with regard to software.

Modular is also a world of limitations. Mono is mainly the name of the game, chords are the exception. You need a ton of modules just to get one voice going. Especially if you use basic components (think Doepfer) you will need a TON of stuff to get things going. Presets are pretty much not existing. Some modules are hyped of being the best thing since sliced bread. The physical modelling in Rings for example. It s very nice for sure, but I find there is physical modeling in software that is a lot more powerful than Rings.

As for your target of making awesome sounds, sampling them and then using them in a software sampler. I m not really sure if hardware modular is the best way to do it. Software like Zebra or software modular might do the trick already at a much lower pricepoint. But then again, as you progress in modular you might find that your targets change as well. Initially my target was also to create an awesome monosynth that combined several filters not present in any premade synth but along the way my target shifted as i learned new stuff.

Where to start? You can read this thread, sure. You will come across many modules that people discover.
A very interesting place is also Modulargrid. Have a look at the most popular modules for starters.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/modules/b ... ection=asc
There is usually a reason why they are popular. Don t just put them in your rack without knowing why. But you will see that these modules often provide solutions towards the problems you will face or the 'gaps' that you need to fill to get something working.

You can start off with some cheap modules if you want to see if it is your thing. Behringer offers a lot of modules for around 100 dollar/euro. I started off with these but along the way, i abandoned money constraints, and focused on functionality instead.
Thank you for your lengthy, thoughtful reply. It's very helpful.

I have about 20 analog, hybrid, and digital hardware synthesizers (mostly rack mount units with programmers and desktop modules). And I own lots of synth plugins and effects including Zebra. So I don't REALLY need to go down the rabbit hole of hardware modular synthesis. But it seems like it might be fun and open up some new sound design possibilities.

On my hardware Sequential Circuits Pro One, I never play sounds from the keyboard in my tracks (even though I am perfectly capable of playing parts without quantizing them). I strictly use it as a sound design tool. If I come up with something unique, I sample it in exhaustive detail to create really expressive patches. These sampled Pro One instruments could never be created on the Pro One itself because, for instance, most of them feature different "velocity layers" even though the Pro One isn't velocity sensitive. I change the filter cutoff, resonance, filter envelope decay, PWM depth, and even oscillator shapes and modulation routings per layer (though usually not all at once). And because they are sampled instruments they use hardly any CPU resources.

I'm really comfortable using the Pro One this way. So if I could get a small, flexible modular rig that doesn't cost too much, I would probably approach it in the same way.
D-550, EX-8000, Juno 60, Matrix-1000, MicroWave I Rev A, MicroWave II XT, MKS-7, MkS-20 x2, MKS-30, MKS-50, MKS-70, MKS-80 rev 4, MKS-80 rev 5, Nord Rack 2, Nord Rack 3, Pulse 1, Pulse 2, REV2, Shruthi SMR-4 MKII, Shruthi 4MP, Tetra, Virus TI2 keyboard

Ex Machina wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:07 pm So if I could get a small, flexible modular rig that doesn't cost too much, I would probably approach it in the same way.
Well, modular, small and doesn t cost too much, are not exactely friends so you will have to work for it. There are several ways imo.

* Your best way is probably to go for an affordable semi-modular and then add stuff like filters, wavefolders whatever to that. Semi-modular is always a better bang for the buck. Maybe you have already a semi modular lying around?

* If you instantiate that in a (full) modular, you ll need quite a bit to get 1 voice going. Osc, trigger and (pitch) cv, envelope, vca, (filter), (output).

* Plaits (clone) is a very flexible module with a lot of different models for voices and has a built in envelope. That makes things easier. It s pretty much the most bought module.

* Small and flexible is doable. I guess you ll need flexible modules then that house a lot of functionality. Again have a look into the popular modules like Plaits, Pam's Pro Workout, Maths, Batumi, ... Most of these have Behringer clones at present or are on the way, by the way.

>> Only you know what you want, so you ll have to do your homework. What is also interesting, is when you look at a modular video to have a look at his rack and see what is in there. You ll see some patterns emerge.

Stefken wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:04 pm Well, modular, small and doesn t cost too much, are not exactely friends so you will have to work for it. There are several ways imo.

* Your best way is probably to go for an affordable semi-modular and then add stuff like filters, wavefolders whatever to that. Semi-modular is always a better bang for the buck. Maybe you have already a semi modular lying around?

* If you instantiate that in a (full) modular, you ll need quite a bit to get 1 voice going. Osc, trigger and (pitch) cv, envelope, vca, (filter), (output).

* Plaits (clone) is a very flexible module with a lot of different models for voices and has a built in envelope. That makes things easier. It s pretty much the most bought module.

* Small and flexible is doable. I guess you ll need flexible modules then that house a lot of functionality. Again have a look into the popular modules like Plaits, Pam's Pro Workout, Maths, Batumi, ... Most of these have Behringer clones at present or are on the way, by the way.

>> Only you know what you want, so you ll have to do your homework. What is also interesting, is when you look at a modular video to have a look at his rack and see what is in there. You ll see some patterns emerge.
Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. I've been thinking of replacing my beat to hell Sequential Pro One keyboard with a Behringer Pro-1 desktop and then getting a Behringer MonoPoly to place on top of my synth racks where the Pro One keyboard currently sits.

I guess I could place the Behringer Pro-1 in my Eurorack case but that seems like it would take up a lot of space. I guess I could sit the Behringer in front of the Eurorack case and then patch it into the Eurorack modules. Or maybe I would get a Behringer Neutron which has a lot more patch points and sounds surprisingly good for the money. Or are you saying that there are "semi-modular" Eurorack modules already available that feature a classic analog signal path but which also include the ability to use them in more flexible, "true modular" fashion?
D-550, EX-8000, Juno 60, Matrix-1000, MicroWave I Rev A, MicroWave II XT, MKS-7, MkS-20 x2, MKS-30, MKS-50, MKS-70, MKS-80 rev 4, MKS-80 rev 5, Nord Rack 2, Nord Rack 3, Pulse 1, Pulse 2, REV2, Shruthi SMR-4 MKII, Shruthi 4MP, Tetra, Virus TI2 keyboard

I used a single USB lead earlier to in turn update the firmware on a bunch of Behringer synths, even the Brains module. I really like that little Synthtribe app, doesn’t even need to be installed. Update firmware, wait 10 secs and reboot, job done,
Only two things I own it isn’t compatible with are the Deepmind 12 and the Neutron. Bit weird that all their clones use the same firmware update, but the synths they developed themselves have different update apps and the Neutron in particular requires some strange button combos to work.

Been doing a bit of modular to semi-modular fun today
IMG_0173.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Ex Machina wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:46 pm

I guess I could place the Behringer Pro-1 in my Eurorack case but that seems like it would take up a lot of space. I guess I could sit the Behringer in front of the Eurorack case and then patch it into the Eurorack modules. Or maybe I would get a Behringer Neutron which has a lot more patch points and sounds surprisingly good for the money. Or are you saying that there are "semi-modular" Eurorack modules already available that feature a classic analog signal path but which also include the ability to use them in more flexible, "true modular" fashion?
The Neutron is considered to be a good gateway into modular. Rack space costs space and money so i would be conservative in putting a semi into your rack, but it is your choice.
A semi modular eurorack module isn t really a thing. A eurorack module is modular.

Stefken wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:40 pm
Ex Machina wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:46 pm

The Neutron is considered to be a good gateway into modular. Rack space costs space and money so i would be conservative in putting a semi into your rack, but it is your choice.
A semi modular eurorack module isn t really a thing. A eurorack module is modular.
I am very happy with having my neutrons racked with the behringer rack ears. If you go with a rack mounted eurorack case then you can mix and match with other rack mounted gear. What I hated was the Neutron not solidly mounted to something. Having things slip around when you're trying to patch them is annoying.

Another option now would be the two Cr8Audio synths, East Beast and West Pest, both sound great are cheap, are semi-modular and optionally fit in Eurorack but take up less space than the Behringer units.
https://youtu.be/xs-nX0AtekA
both are 40 hp wide, so you could fit both in the space an 80hp Neutron would take up.

Are you safe?

Stefken wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:52 am Modular is in my view more of a sounddesign tool than a music production tool.
Sure, you can adopt groove box methodologies and i think it is important to retain a musical sauce in your rack so you get more out of it than quirky sounds and patterns. But imo it takes more work (and more money) to get that musical sauce in modular.
Do you want instant chords, do you want a fair amount of tracks? You might be better off with a groovebox or a premade synth where everything is ready to go for that very purpose.
Modular also encourages approaching composition and performance differently. Sure, you can just use it for sound design and sample it, or use it with MIDI, or use CV sequencers that are based on trackers or grooveboxes. But to me that's not really modular's native language, so to speak.

I found myself 100% giving up on piano-style keyboards, nearly 100% on piano roll sequencing, and wandering away from typical Western tuning on a pretty regular basis (tuning everything by ear or quantizing to other scales as desired). I'm using small standalone sequencers and a lot of hands-on controllers, and occasionally generative patching (in both software and hardware).

For me that aspect of it has been as freeing and inspiring as the sound design aspects, although there's not really a clear line between them. Sometimes the behavior of a patch in terms of "notes" is inseparable from the timbre, or at least that's how it is in the process of creating it.

i used to think modular was for a particular purpose, or rather ethos.

that everyone in modular, would be looking to do similar, experimental, "weird" type things i enjoy it for.

then i started to be able to afford it, so had to actually start watching videos...
i was surprised at first, to find most hardware modular videos i could find, was mostly what i consider mainstream dancey stuff, lots of techno and other rhythmic stuff.

over time, ive come to the realisation modular can be pretty much anything (budget and space permitting).
i saw one guy, he had two racks, all filters and fx, no voices, but played guitar in to it, i saw another guy, who must be richer than god, had a room, patched up, hours long self playing instrument with tons of variation, to the point parts sounded electronic orchestral...

i guess im saying, like lego, your imagination and budget, are the only limits!!!

vurt wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:54 pm i guess im saying, like lego, your imagination and budget, are the only limits!!!
And like architecture, and science, and medicine, and...
And chords are a limit too. :) Thou shalt not play chords in modular. :wink:
Last edited by Stefken on Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foosnark wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:41 pm
Stefken wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:52 am Modular is in my view more of a sounddesign tool than a music production tool.
Modular also encourages approaching composition and performance differently. Sure, you can just use it for sound design and sample it, or use it with MIDI, or use CV sequencers that are based on trackers or grooveboxes. But to me that's not really modular's native language, so to speak.

I found myself 100% giving up on piano-style keyboards, nearly 100% on piano roll sequencing, and wandering away from typical Western tuning on a pretty regular basis (tuning everything by ear or quantizing to other scales as desired). I'm using small standalone sequencers and a lot of hands-on controllers, and occasionally generative patching (in both software and hardware).

For me that aspect of it has been as freeing and inspiring as the sound design aspects, although there's not really a clear line between them. Sometimes the behavior of a patch in terms of "notes" is inseparable from the timbre, or at least that's how it is in the process of creating it.
Fine addition. I guess i should have said : popular western music.
And while i see no apparent limits to do it in a DAW, the generative videos i see all seem to be with modular gear. So, yes :)
I guess what i was saying..... If you want a groovebox, don t build it out of modular parts but ... get a groovebox.

Stefken wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:44 pm
And chords are a limit too. :) Thou shalt not play chords in modular. :wink:
can be done, just damn expensive and damn complicated.
not to mention, polyphony is a fad :shrug:

:hihi:

Ex Machina wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:07 pm
So if I could get a small, flexible modular rig that doesn't cost too much, I would probably approach it in the same way.
I got a Behringer 2600 as a relatively cheap way of seeing how I got on with all this patching with cables malarkey. I’ve only bought one other module since and I’m still finding plenty to experiment with. Just another suggestion.

Semi-modulars can be a great way to start even if you plan on going fully into modular eventually. But it depends on the instrument... something like a West Pest is quite a bit weaker in terms of patching options than a Minibrute 2 (which has more modulation sources, two oscillators, some extra utilities, patch points for "external" signals that you can use when self-patching, etc.) 0-Coast is also a good one because just about everything can be CV-controlled. (This isn't saying West Pest isn't fun though :))

True, though they are twice the price. I was more comparing with the Neutron as it’s a semi-modular eurorack module which does exist.

Are you safe?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”