Ooh, I like This Modular Rack...

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For those considering the Neutron, I would have to say that it has a few features that are really excellent.

First, the oscillator waveform switching can be precise or blended. This is especially nice when you use sync on oscillator two because you can voltage control the waveform type. It can be easily switched on or off per oscillator. There are a number of features of the oscillator that are really convenient, like locking to Midi pitch (it's another setting) so that if you are midi sequencing it then you don't have to tune the oscillators.

Second, the LFO also have this waveform blending and, in addition, you can set any of the waveform positions to any of the types, including with an offset phase, in the app. This makes for a really nice modulation source, for example, blending between two sin waves at different phase offsets.

Third, the filter is a monster. It has become one of my favorite filters. It has two outputs that depend on which of the three modes that you have selected. So you can have lp/bp, bp/hp, or hp/lp outputs. Since the two outputs depend on the setting of the filter, this can be a performance feature.

I don't own an East Beast or a West Pest, but I have some other Cre8 audio stuff and my take on their stuff is that it feels cheap and limited. I don't think that either alone compares at all to the Neutron, and as a pair, I think that there are better ways to spend $500. Of the two I'd probably take the west pest.

As I said, I wouldn't bother putting a Neutron in a Eurorack case, just buy the rack ears for $20. However, I do think that once you get used to the patch bay, there is a LOT going on in the Neutron. I don't think that there's a better bang for buck in terms of semi-modular gear. You can use most everything completely separately, there are only a few annoying patching limitations.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I can't find the right thread, but I made this here sandwich and it was all that. I give you the Peruvian Pepper Jam Pastrami Banh Mi. Since I started this thread, I am making food pics on topic, as long as you made it yourself and noodled with your modular while you ate the food. If someone can point me to the right thread, I'll move my post.

Very boring in the world of Eurorack I know, but, I’ve added a new module and now have two.:party:

Alternative flavour to the filter in the B.2600.

SHall1000 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:50 pm Very boring in the world of Eurorack I know, but, I’ve added a new module and now have two.:party:

no! the wasp filter is never boring!! :party:

Wasp brothers in arms :hug:

(or sisters or whatever)

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

The first module i bought …

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:21 pm Wasp brothers in arms :hug:

(or sisters or whatever)
brothers in arms was dire straits

wasp did animal: f**k like a beast.

easy to get mixed up i know :)

vurt wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:53 pm
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:21 pm Wasp brothers in arms :hug:

(or sisters or whatever)
brothers in arms was dire straits

wasp did animal: f**k like a beast.

easy to get mixed up i know :)
It’s terrible the state they left that muppet drummer in :(

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

vurt wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:54 pm
SHall1000 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:50 pm Very boring in the world of Eurorack I know, but, I’ve added a new module and now have two.:party:

no! the wasp filter is never boring!! :party:
Help me choose my next addition. Should I get a Klavis Twin Waves Mk2 or an After Later Beehive (Plaits clone)?

SHall1000 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:03 pm Help me choose my next addition. Should I get a Klavis Twin Waves Mk2 or an After Later Beehive (Plaits clone)?
Personally I didn't like Twin Waves that much -- but it was the mk1 with its first firmware version. The FM didn't work well then, most of the modes struck me as vanilla East Coast stuff that relied on a good filter, at a time when I was much more into FM + wavetables + stuff. I also am just not fond of controls that are used for multiple parameters simultaneously depending on their mode. And generally I think putting two independent oscillators into 8HP is just too much of a crunch.

FWIW, I have wound up bouncing off all the Klavis stuff I tried eventually -- I just wasn't feeling them. Even the ones I thought were particularly clever or had some features that I liked.

Plaits I think is a solid choice, especially for a small system. But I also sold mine because I have a lot of stuff and found it was taking a secondary role.

foosnark wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:21 pm
SHall1000 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:03 pm Help me choose my next addition. Should I get a Klavis Twin Waves Mk2 or an After Later Beehive (Plaits clone)?
Plaits I think is a solid choice, especially for a small system. But I also sold mine because I have a lot of stuff and found it was taking a secondary role.
I agree with this assessment, or if you like/need the sounds it makes, which can of course be manipulated in any number of ways (as can the 2600). :wink:

https://youtu.be/ZeLoPTApLlw
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

foosnark wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:21 pm
Personally I didn't like Twin Waves that much -- but it was the mk1 with its first firmware version. The FM didn't work well then, most of the modes struck me as vanilla East Coast stuff that relied on a good filter, at a time when I was much more into FM + wavetables + stuff. I also am just not fond of controls that are used for multiple parameters simultaneously depending on their mode. And generally I think putting two independent oscillators into 8HP is just too much of a crunch.

FWIW, I have wound up bouncing off all the Klavis stuff I tried eventually -- I just wasn't feeling them. Even the ones I thought were particularly clever or had some features that I liked.

Thanks for this. Given you offloaded both the Plaits and Klavis, what oscillators do you suggest I consider. Looking for different flavours to compliment the standard waves in the B.2600, preferably low HP.

Honestly for your situation Plaits seems like a good way to go. What works for me is pretty far from low HP :)

I do have a Noise Engineering Legio (6HP), and I think pretty well of Virt Iter Legio (stereo oscillator with phase modulation). It'd probably serve you well too. But now I have the Roucha Legio firmware on mine, a great sounding filter/wavefolder, and that's probably going to stick.

Up from there, Kermit mk2 and Ataraxic Iteritas are both 10HP. Kermit is a dusty-sounding, digital/glitchy but "soft", dual wavetable oscillator (with just one, fixed bank). I love the sound but it's a pretty specific character (though also a useful LFO). Ataraxic is more of a glitch and noise machine, and is hard to recommend in general unless it happens to be exactly what you're looking for.

Next step up is Just Friends at 14HP. It's frankly amazing and I could recommend it to anyone. As a VCO, it's a swarm of 6 of them with unison detuning (up to 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x, 6x the base frequency or down to /2, /3, /4, /5, /6) and individual and mix outputs. The Curve knob knob takes it from pulse to tri/saw to sine to wavefolding, and Shape affects the relative skew (rise/fall) or PWM. And it has TZFM, either external or internal. Combine those things and it's pretty potent. It also is a fantastic modulation source, and if you have Monome Teletype you can reprogram the oscillator ratios and mix levels, or put it into a polysynth mode.

I also have Synchrodyne at 14HP. Not sure I could recommend it generally -- a wide-range saw VCO combined with the world's weirdest filter design (switched-capacitor filter, clocked by a PLL driven by that same VCO). Very experimental and hard to tame. Fun though, and sometimes a high-rate VCO is useful for clocking other things.

Above that I jump to 26HP with Shapeshifter and Odessa, and then Spectraphon at 36HP (still waiting on shipping) and Akemie's Castle at 38HP (which will probably be displaced by Spectraphon, though I love it). These are all powerhouse oscillators that would absolutely bring something new to a 2600 if you can spare the space for them.

Thanks for that. I shall check out all of those. All new to me.

i still get plenty of use from plaits.
as much of my rack is analog, its a nice contrast, and is actually lots of fun with a wasp filter in particular (imo).
and the drums have been more useful than i imagined too :hihi: considering its rare i use percussion, its nice to have the option for plaits to add a beefy kick or a sizzling hat!

can also be nice using one of the more pad like sounds, no pitch input, and lots of movement on the other controls, as a backing drone. bit of delay and its lush as feck 8)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”