Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

emef wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:14 pm
ReiKru wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:29 amAlpha Juno

https://www.audiorealism.se/redominator.html
Sorry, it sounds terrible and has nothing to do with an AJ
Collector of VSTs

ReiKru wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:27 pm Sorry, it sounds terrible and has nothing to do with an AJ
Let's be real. Most people only care about one sound from the Alpha Juno and that plugin nailed it. Gotta keep an eye out for a sale now, didn't even know this existed hehe.

kNarf_ wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:47 amJP8080
JP6 is quite close tho if you want that super wave sound, even if it's only Windows... Despite being limited vs the actual deal, for many of the sound the JP8080 can do, this can do as well.

Cho is on the other side an unfinished product as far as I can tell, at least with me I got a version that basically blink the UI on almost every param change, quite unusable...

But JP6K is very close to the real deal, and that's why I'm using it quite often :D

It's a very bad emulation. It basically half-nailed the hoover sound and that's about it. The Alpha Juno is a very VERY good sounding synth, often praised for a huge range of sound, and this does just the hoover, badly, and the rest it's a pass.
mothra wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:52 pm
ReiKru wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:27 pm Sorry, it sounds terrible and has nothing to do with an AJ
Let's be real. Most people only care about one sound from the Alpha Juno and that plugin nailed it. Gotta keep an eye out for a sale now, didn't even know this existed hehe.
Only someone never having the real synth will say that. That synth is excellent, and quite unique in it's overall tone. You likely still ear it in many songs that got nothing to do with gabber (or similar style). It's a miss on the market at the moment (especially considering it's a single DCO synth).

I would add:
- Roland - mks 80 rev 4
- Roland - mks 80 rev 5
- Roland - JD 990 (unfortunately only Roland can do something and with the JD 800 badly done around...)
- Korg - Trident (well some bad half cooked emulation exists)
- Korg - Lambda
- Waldorf - Microwave XT

The list goes and goes and goes :D

D-Fusion wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:26 pm
Lbdunequest wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:02 pm
dionenoid wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:42 pm
Chro-8080, JP6K, Navira, various Kontakt banks. Do you really need more ?
Dune 3 can do roland, uhe diva, system 8 by roland too.

Anyways jp 8080 is nothing special anymore, it doesnt have a signature sound.
Yes it does have a signature sound ;)
I would like to see you recreate these sounds in this Video with any of the Examples you came up with as a replacement for the JP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICcn9P75-hM
Can you provide the midi?

Deisss wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:26 pm
It's a very bad emulation. It basically half-nailed the hoover sound and that's about it. The Alpha Juno is a very VERY good sounding synth, often praised for a huge range of sound, and this does just the hoover, badly, and the rest it's a pass.
mothra wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:52 pm
Only someone never having the real synth will say that. That synth is excellent, and quite unique in it's overall tone. You likely still ear it in many songs that got nothing to do with gabber (or similar style). It's a miss on the market at the moment (especially considering it's a single DCO synth).
Sadly, I have to agree about Redominator for the most part. It has some nice features and a more accurate filter has been added, but it still falls short on quite a few factory presets when I compare it directly to my real Alpha Juno 1. While I consider it a decent effort overall, I still consider a definitive emulation on the level of u-he, Synapse, TAL, or Softube to be missing.

You probably didn't grow up in the 90's.

The JP-8k sound is all over some records from that time.

Deisss wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:26 pm - Roland - mks 80 rev 4
- Roland - mks 80 rev 5
I own both. They have great sound quality but are much less interesting sounding to me than almost any other Roland analog. Like really good vanilla.
- Roland - JD 990 (unfortunately only Roland can do something and with the JD 800 badly done around...)
What's bad about the JD 800 plugin? I haven't tried it but the idea of using the JD-08 for hands-on control is appealing. A cool trick with the JD and JV's is that if you map your waveform to an expansion card, you can swap in a different card and get a whole new sound from it. I can't imagine Roland ever adding that feature to the plugins.
- Waldorf - Microwave XT
An actual port is in the works.

randomtestsubject wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:46 pm Sadly, I have to agree about Redominator for the most part. It has some nice features and a more accurate filter has been added, but it still falls short on quite a few factory presets when I compare it directly to my real Alpha Juno 1.
Alpha Juno 1 is the best version and still sells for cheap. We all need a keyboard, anyway, may as well make it an Alpha Juno. ;)

Uncle E wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:00 pm I own both. They have great sound quality but are much less interesting sounding to me than almost any other Roland analog. Like really good vanilla.
Funny I would put them very close to a Jupiter 8 or JX3P, as they are the 4 synths really able to nail that classic Roland brassy sound I still love :D

Uncle E wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:00 pm What's bad about the JD 800 plugin? I haven't tried it but the idea of using the JD-08 for hands-on control is appealing. A cool trick with the JD and JV's is that if you map your waveform to an expansion card, you can swap in a different card and get a whole new sound from it. I can't imagine Roland ever adding that feature to the plugins.
Tried it, I didn't liked it at all, could be just the interface as I didn't spend a very long time on it, and I still own a JD-990 which got heavy use as I love what this unit can do, for very airy/ethereal pads it's a bliss.

But still would like to see a digital version of it, so I can get rid of last piece of hardware...
Uncle E wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:00 pm An actual port is in the works.
I know! If I were brave enough I would try to port one of them, like the FS1r shouldn't be a too difficult unit to do, but I miss too much time to do something like this :/ When I read what kind of report Urs can pull to explain the details of his work, there is just so much dedication into any port...

robotmonkey wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:14 pm
jamcat wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:52 am Theremin

Although I would put Arturia at the top of the list and strike u-he.
Arturia would be better than nothing but they seem to have an incredible skill of making all the emulations sound kinda same. I don't know what it is about them that makes it so. Maybe it's the development framework, maybe it's the sound designers they use.
That’s actually how I feel about u-he. It’s all sort of VA-ish. And way over-priced.

But that’s not the case for Arturia to any greater degree than any given hardware synths.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

a couple effects;
the Ensoniq DP2/4
the Maestro Bass Brassmaster

The Audio Realism "reDominator" is cool because you can use it not only as an Alpha Juno 2 emulation but also as a programmer and librarian for a hardware Alpha Juno 1/2 and MKS-50.

But based on their SoundCloud demos, the reDominator doesn't sound anything like a real Alpha Juno. This is what a hardware MKS-50 sounds like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiCgFoZIH7w
D-550, EX-8000, Juno 60, Matrix-1000, MicroWave I Rev A, MicroWave II XT, MKS-7, MkS-20 x2, MKS-30, MKS-50, MKS-70, MKS-80 rev 4, MKS-80 rev 5, Nord Rack 2, Nord Rack 3, Pulse 1, Pulse 2, REV2, Shruthi SMR-4 MKII, Shruthi 4MP, Tetra, Virus TI2 keyboard

chk071 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:26 pm

You probably didn't grow up in the 90's.

The JP-8k sound is all over some records from that time.
In fact i did and i know it. And i did used Roland JP8080 back in the 00's. Lets adress elephant in the room - in the 90's there were no synths like JP that had supersaw. Now many synths have supersaw and includes digital filters. JP just doesnt have a signature sound that would make it special, dont chase the name, chase the sound instead.

Lbdunequest wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:22 am In fact i did and i know it. And i did used Roland JP8080 back in the 00's. Lets adress elephant in the room - in the 90's there were no synths like JP that had supersaw. Now many synths have supersaw and includes digital filters. JP just doesnt have a signature sound that would make it special, dont chase the name, chase the sound instead.
Plus, half of what makes it great was the hardware itself. It has a great layout for programming.

Ex Machina wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:45 am

The Audio Realism "reDominator" is cool because you can use it not only as an Alpha Juno 2 emulation but also as a programmer and librarian for a hardware Alpha Juno 1/2 and MKS-50.

But based on their SoundCloud demos, the reDominator doesn't sound anything like a real Alpha Juno. This is what a hardware MKS-50 sounds like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiCgFoZIH7w
How can you judge the synth by completely different audio demos made within completely different genres. :dog:

Return to “Instruments”