UAD PolyMAX - This thing is Sick

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Diva Repro UADx PolyMAX Synthesizer

I just tested the Opal and the Polymax demos, well it is okay, but nothing special imo. Very basic and well nothing fanzy.
U-He, Gforce, Tal and Softube are equally or better. To me at least. Not worth the hassle and price they go for. Even with 50% off and 50EU vouchers.

DELETE Wrong thread

Yeah, MARCHTOP50 can only be used once. You do get a $25 voucher upon any activation though.

I am really tempted to get Polymax & possibly Opal as well(as I can get both for $95 with coupon.) Problem is though...the Polymax demo presets are 3rd party(which are not included in the purchased version.) UAD in one of their intro videos, state that there are"tons" of presets(but don't mention ANYWHERE, how many there are.)
For a normally $200 plugin, I expect a sh*t-ton of presets....so why is UAD not disclosing this? What do they have to hide?
I downloaded TAL Noisemaker earlier today & it sounds just as good as Polymax....so the thought of buying a synth plugin that normally retails for $200 & doesn't list its number of presets, does not sit well with me at all.
I'm going to fire off an e-mail to UAD & see what they say.....

If you like TAL NM as much as the UAD synth, just get NM and skip UAD. There are "tons" of presets out there for noisemaker and it costs you nothing. I have mad love for the UAD hardware preamps and they have pretty good audio interfaces, but having spent thousands of dollars on their DSP and plugins in the past I really can't recommend it more than pretty much any other reputable plug-in company.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:08 am If you like TAL NM as much as the UAD synth, just get NM and skip UAD. There are "tons" of presets out there for noisemaker and it costs you nothing. I have mad love for the UAD hardware preamps and they have pretty good audio interfaces, but having spent thousands of dollars on their DSP and plugins in the past I really can't recommend it more than pretty much any other reputable plug-in company.
Thanks for the tips. I found some presets from Rekkerd.org...but having a bit of trouble loading them....can they be loaded from within my DAW, or do I have to copy & paste into my C-drive?

I'm sure there is a walkthrough for where presets need to be put on your system on the TAL site. I'm not a huge preset user, but I know that noisemaker has tons of user sounds floating around the internet. I think TAL have a forum here on over and someone there could tell you how to add downloads to your presets on win/Mac.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

a no go for me since;
From UAD FAQ:
Q: Will I be able to sell/transfer my native UAD plug-ins to someone else?
A: No, transfers of native UAD plug-ins alone are not supported.

When I demoed polymax before buying it, it has the same presets in the demo version as in the purchased version. Matter of fact, i favourited them in the demo period and when i eventually bought it used that favourited info.
Did that for both polymax and opal.
rsp
sound sculptist

Kross2 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:57 am ...I downloaded TAL Noisemaker earlier today & it sounds just as good as Polymax....so the thought of buying a synth plugin that normally retails for $200 & doesn't list its number of presets, does not sit well with me at all.
I'm going to fire off an e-mail to UAD & see what they say.....
And did you send them an email, regarding preset numbers? Or can someone, who has them already quickly tell, how many presets come with them?

Also looking for maybe buying Opal & PolyMax, but not knowing how much content comes with the synth, confuses me a bit. :?

Septic Underground wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:03 am I just tested the Opal and the Polymax demos, well it is okay, but nothing special imo. Very basic and well nothing fanzy.
U-He, Gforce, Tal and Softube are equally or better. To me at least. Not worth the hassle and price they go for. Even with 50% off and 50EU vouchers.
I’ve ended up elsewhere. I think that Opal is amazing and that PolyMax great. Most synths on the market can’t compare, sonically, including some of the ones from the companies you listed (I have/had many). They’re among the best sounding softsynths I have, and they cost me a total of $75 or so.

I don’t care about presets, personally, as long as there’s just a couple that show off some features of the synth to help me learn.

Took some searching to find it within the plugin itself on mac (it is in algo/resources in the lunacompenents)

Anyway Poly has 190 presets and Opal 274 presets.

My own two cents on them, is though I bought them I never use them. They are no longer in my prime time list as I call it.
They sound very good, but as I have mentioned elsewhere, they are just too clean sounding for my taste. They sound like if you got a mint fresh analog synth and took away all the idiosyncracies and dirt and character that make some of us nostalgic for our old analog synths (which btw at the time when we got them or played them, seemed more like nuisances rather than pros that we now view them as)
rsp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sound sculptist

Thanks for the info @zvenx :tu:

zvenx wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:14 pm They sound very good, but as I have mentioned elsewhere, they are just too clean sounding for my taste. They sound like if you got a mint fresh analog synth and took away all the idiosyncracies and dirt and character that make some of us nostalgic for our old analog synths (which btw at the time when we got them or played them, seemed more like nuisances rather than pros that we now view them as)
rsp
Definitely agree. The “too clean” thing fits what the Opal is meant for, so I like that about it, but PolyMAX is pretty boring sounding to me. Ironically, one of the best things about their Minimoog is how well it saturates.

zvenx wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:14 pm Took some searching to find it within the plugin itself on mac (it is in algo/resources in the lunacompenents)

Anyway Poly has 190 presets and Opal 274 presets.

My own two cents on them, is though I bought them I never use them. They are no longer in my prime time list as I call it.
They sound very good, but as I have mentioned elsewhere, they are just too clean sounding for my taste. They sound like if you got a mint fresh analog synth and took away all the idiosyncracies and dirt and character that make some of us nostalgic for our old analog synths (which btw at the time when we got them or played them, seemed more like nuisances rather than pros that we now view them as)
rsp
Zvenx,

Thank you so much for this info...greatly appreciated! I started a thread on UAD's discussion board yesterday & got quite a few responses and yet, NO ONE mentioned these numbers(which was the most bizarre sh*t imaginable.)

Return to “Instruments”