Roland Zen-Core Effects Quality?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm interested in getting an MC-101 to use as a compact Roland ROMpler. Are the Zen-Core effects decent? I'm particularly interested in the quality of the delay and reverb algorithms. Are they comparable to the algorithms in Boss pedals?

Roland owns BOSS, so I do not see much of a reason to believe algorithms on one is inferior to the other.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 1:32 am Roland owns BOSS, so I do not see much of a reason to believe algorithms on one is inferior to the other.
Yes, that’s what I was thinking. I’m wondering if some of the code in Zen-Core effects is recycled from Boss or other Roland products.

SonicDimension wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 5:13 am
FranklyFlawless wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 1:32 am Roland owns BOSS, so I do not see much of a reason to believe algorithms on one is inferior to the other.
Yes, that’s what I was thinking. I’m wondering if some of the code in Zen-Core effects is recycled from Boss or other Roland products.
The majority of the zen core effects are recycled effects fromthe rompler range + some new additions .
Just download the manual of any roland rompler between 1995 and now and compare .
FOr example the pitch shifter effect which is found on al the roland rompler , it can vary in quality , the xv5080 pitch shifter is superior to the integra pitch shifter etc..( integra uses smaller buffers for transposing ) etc...
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

SonicDimension wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 5:13 am Yes, that’s what I was thinking. I’m wondering if some of the code in Zen-Core effects is recycled from Boss or other Roland products.
From what I can tell, the "new" Zen-core effects are mostly taken from the XV-5080 which means they are far from cutting edge. This makes sense because Zenology Pro is essentially a software XV-5080 with a few extra filter options, really bad sounding VA and Supersaw oscillators, and the same dated sample ROM from 25 years ago.

But at least you now get a few decent sounding reverbs to add to your Zenology patches.
D-550, EX-8000, Juno 60, Matrix-1000, MicroWave I Rev A, MicroWave II XT, MKS-7, MkS-20 x2, MKS-30, MKS-50, MKS-70, MKS-80 rev 4, MKS-80 rev 5, Nord Rack 2, Nord Rack 3, Pulse 1, Pulse 2, REV2, Shruthi SMR-4 MKII, Shruthi 4MP, Tetra, Virus TI2 keyboard

Ex Machina wrote: From what I can tell, the "new" Zen-core effects are mostly taken from the XV-5080 which means they are far from cutting edge. This makes sense because Zenology Pro is essentially a software XV-5080 with a few extra filter options, really bad sounding VA and Supersaw oscillators, and the same dated sample ROM from 25 years ago.

But at least you now get a few decent sounding reverbs to add to your Zenology patches.
Thanks for that information.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”