Waldorf Micro Q Emulator (Vavra)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

tried the emulator yesterday. ableton live says vavra takes about 3%/4% cpu on this mac intel I7 @ 2.3ghz from 2012. it doesnt matter if i play one voice or a chord, the cpu hit is the same.
been using the osiris emu for some time and that one uses about 10% on the same laptop.
Vintage Drum Machine Kits for the Roland TR8-S & MC-707 https://rhythmelectronics.bandcamp.com

The real cpu usage is only shown when you change the latency settings (right click on GUI)

That’s expected. I spoke with one of the developers and the emulator needs to carve out a specific amount of compute power and that amount will run one voice or the synth fully loaded. This applies to the OSIRUS as well. There will be a bit more cpu demand in your daw as you add more midi channels but the power to fully drive the synth is carved out when you launch the plugin. If it can run one voice it can run it maxed out.
hcv242 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:56 pm tried the emulator yesterday. ableton live says vavra takes about 3%/4% cpu on this mac intel I7 @ 2.3ghz from 2012. it doesnt matter if i play one voice or a chord, the cpu hit is the same.
been using the osiris emu for some time and that one uses about 10% on the same laptop.

BuddySpencer wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:29 pm The real cpu usage is only shown when you change the latency settings (right click on GUI)
I've given up pointing out that

BuddySpencer wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:29 pm The real cpu usage is only shown when you change the latency settings (right click on GUI)
about 60% for both synths
Vintage Drum Machine Kits for the Roland TR8-S & MC-707 https://rhythmelectronics.bandcamp.com

I don't know about both. Vavra runs high, but is consistent no matter the preset but I can run up to 4 instances of Osirus in a song with multiple fx and envelopes before hitting CPU red line (in FL Studio)

same here. i can also run 4 instances of osiris in parallel, in a laptop 11 years old.

I have a puny Intel I3 11th gen (but it puts the Athlon A6 to shame)

i'm trying to use the Device skin in Vavra. I can't seem to change the selection where the edit knobs are assigned.

for example, if i click on Mixer/Routing or Filters (or try to select Oscillator 2/3 or Filter 2) the red light comes on but does not "stick" and does not change the knob assignments.

bug or user error? anyone else get this to work?

also: I can't seem to find where the version number for the emulator is displayed. on Osirus, it is shown at the bottom right corner of the GUI but not on Vavra. am i blind?

Why not use the plugin skin? It's much better and easier to use

not the point

JamminFool wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:58 am also: I can't seem to find where the version number for the emulator is displayed. on Osirus, it is shown at the bottom right corner of the GUI but not on Vavra. am i blind?
click once into the green LCD display
it will change to vavra version number and date

muki wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:36 pm
JamminFool wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:58 am also: I can't seem to find where the version number for the emulator is displayed. on Osirus, it is shown at the bottom right corner of the GUI but not on Vavra. am i blind?
click once into the green LCD display
it will change to vavra version number and date
thanks! much appreciated. :tu:

JamminFool wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:58 am i'm trying to use the Device skin in Vavra. I can't seem to change the selection where the edit knobs are assigned.
it's tricky:
afaik you have to go via the "shift" button:

click shift
it is blinking
use the cursor buttons to select the right sided menus (oscillators, mixer routing etc)
use one of the 4 dials to change values

those waldorf UIs are quite a PITA imho (also the same in 3d-real-world)

muki wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:40 pm
JamminFool wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:58 am i'm trying to use the Device skin in Vavra. I can't seem to change the selection where the edit knobs are assigned.
it's tricky:
afaik you have to go via the "shift" button:

click shift
it is blinking
use the cursor buttons to select the right sided menus (oscillators, mixer routing etc)
use one of the 4 dials to change values

those waldorf UIs are quite a PITA imho (also the same in 3d-real-world)
again, thank you! silly me was thinking i could click around to get it to change. but of course it was following the actual hardware method! i should have thought of that. :dog:

before you posted, i was trying to use shift and ctl-clicks, but that led to even more weird behaviour. I was able to turn on all the red lights, but the knobs still only control the default (OSC1) settings. that should probably be fixed.

Return to “Instruments”