TAPE SCULPTOR: Build your own tape machine!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ronny Pries wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:36 pm Is this really as absurd?
Yes.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

kevinsparks wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:07 pm Maybe autism is contagious
whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:20 pm Yes.
I'm fine with both.

How about getting back to the actual topic again?
aka rktic. demoscener (Farbrausch, Holon, MFX, Still), sound designer, ux-dude, sth @AudioRealism, human synthesizer—not necessarily in that order.

I look forward to demoing this magnetic recording media simulation very soon.

neither cassette or reel, are very good at being tape anyway.
you try using either to parcel something up.

Ronny Pries wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:36 pm

Additionally, "Tape" has been synonymous here in Germany with Cassettes. When talking about games. "Tape vs Floppy Disk".

Mixtape also seems to be oddly format specific.

So: yeah, I'm aware that all these plugins are called "Tape". And find it unsettling.

I'd be fine with being mistaken. Could this be exclusive to Germany?
Ah, no, I think it's basically just you mitranslating, misremembering and confusing stuff.

In Germany:

a tape-machine is "Bandmaschine" or more specifically "Tonbandmaschine" or "Bandgerät" or "Tonbandgerät" - band = tape
(Klebeband = adhesive tape and Tonband = audio tape (however Haarband = hair ribbon); Ton (in this context)= audio; Gerät = device)

... reel on the other hand would be "Spule" in German, which nobody ever uses (or used, for that matter afaik/afair) when talking about the machine.

in the 80's a tape-cassette was a Tonbandkassette and a tape-cassette player was called Kassettenspieler(player = Spieler) so in German it was basically (at least for the most part of it) a word-by-word translation of the English terms.

But along came the hipsters - and because they were so very hip, they used a lot of Anglizisms - so a Band was a tape - but the hipsters weren't interested in tape-machines in the slightest so they didn't need a hip word for these...

and thus the German word "Band" was used by the non-hip people dealing with tape-machines and "tape" was used by the hipsters whenever they talked about their silly cassettes (where they were super-proud (as if they had anything to do with even just a single note of the actual music they used) of making their own silly, semi-random sampler-cassettes they handed over to anyone who had absolutely zero interest in listening to it - and these the wankers then called "mixtape".)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Thanks guys for keeping it 'reel' :)

jens wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:46 pm
Ronny Pries wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:36 pm

Additionally, "Tape" has been synonymous here in Germany with Cassettes. When talking about games. "Tape vs Floppy Disk".

Mixtape also seems to be oddly format specific.

So: yeah, I'm aware that all these plugins are called "Tape". And find it unsettling.

I'd be fine with being mistaken. Could this be exclusive to Germany?
Ah, no, I think it's basically just you mitranslating, misremembering and confusing stuff.

In Germany:

a tape-machine is "Bandmaschine" or more specifically "Tonbandmaschine" or "Bandgerät" or "Tonbandgerät" - band = tape
(Klebeband = adhesive tape and Tonband = audio tape (however Haarband = hair ribbon); Ton (in this context)= audio; Gerät = device)

... reel on the other hand would be "Spule" in German, which nobody ever uses (or used, for that matter afaik/afair) when talking about the machine.

in the 80's a tape-cassette was a Tonbandkassette and a tape-cassette player was called Kassettenspieler(player = Spieler) so in German it was basically (at least for the most part of it) a word-by-word translation of the English terms.

But along came the hipsters - and because they were so very hip, they used a lot of Anglizisms - so a Band was a tape - but the hipsters weren't interested in tape-machines in the slightest so they didn't need a hip word for these...

and thus the German word "Band" was used by the non-hip people dealing with tape-machines and "tape" was used by the hipsters whenever they talked about their silly cassettes (where they were super-proud (as if they had anything to do with even just a single note of the actual music they used) of making their own silly, semi-random sampler-cassettes they handed over to anyone who had absolutely zero interest in listening to it - and these the wankers then called "mixtape".)
what about bondage tape?
asking for a friend :)

aMUSEd wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:50 pm Thanks guys for keeping it 'reel' :)
vinyly, some puns! :party:

jens wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:46 pm and because they were so very hip, they used a lot of Anglizisms

the wankers

:hihi:

Only messing. Of course I won't begrudge you that one. 'Tis one of our finest words.

:lol: :hihi: Yes, it most certainly is!

but yeah, I'm busted wide-open here: whenever I speak English, the amount of Anglicisms I use is excruciatingly high... :shock: :lol:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:08 pm :lol: :hihi: Yes, it most certainly is!

but yeah, I'm busted wide-open here: whenever I speak English, the amount of anglicisms I use is excruciantngly high... :shock: :lol:
A German friend of mine has lived in Leeds for about 30 years and she has the most weird hybrid German/Yorkshire accent now. You'd think it would be the other way round, but when she gets pissed she gets more and more Yorkshire, and to hear her swearing is a joy to behold. :hihi:

EvilDragon wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:15 pm You're not recording to reel, nor casette. Reel and casette are just containers for... wait for it... tape!

They were quite rare, but I've seen one or two of them in the late 80s. There was actually no real advantage to the usual plastic hubs, and even the reel variant has them.

As you put it... in the end it was all tape - either wrapped up a reel or a hub (and protected with a housing called cassette). Or even both.

donkey tugger wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:11 pm
jens wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:08 pm :lol: :hihi: Yes, it most certainly is!

but yeah, I'm busted wide-open here: whenever I speak English, the amount of anglicisms I use is excruciantngly high... :shock: :lol:
A German friend of mine has lived in Leeds for about 30 years and she has the most weird hybrid German/Yorkshire accent now. You'd think it would be the other way round, but when she gets pissed she gets more and more Yorkshire, and to hear her swearing is a joy to behold. :hihi:
Would love hear that! :lol: :-D

kylie wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:15 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:15 pm You're not recording to reel, nor casette. Reel and casette are just containers for... wait for it... tape!

They were quite rare, but I've seen one or two of them in the late 80s. There was actually no real advantage to the usual plastic hubs, and even the reel variant has them.

As you put it... in the end it was all tape - either wrapped up a reel or a hub (and protected with a housing called cassette). Or even both.
I don't think they were that rare actually - I'm pretty sure I still got a couple of these lying around somewhere - but of course it was just a design-element....
Last edited by jens on Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vurt wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:56 pm what about bondage tape?
asking for a friend :)
It's just another word for "Gaffa Tape".
Might come in special colours, though, to give it a fancy touch. Not just grey but 50 shades of it.

Return to “Effects”