Cubase 12 vs Studio One 6

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ex Machina wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:07 pmA rageaholic is someone who expresses symptoms of anger in an extreme or unwarranted manner, such as: frequent outbursts. excessive anger with no cause. overreaction of anger to any frustrating situation. quick desire to resort to physical altercations.
Anger? Sorry snowflake, you don't seem to even know what anger is, you poor, deluded sod.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:07 am
Ex Machina wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:07 pmA rageaholic is someone who expresses symptoms of anger in an extreme or unwarranted manner, such as: frequent outbursts. excessive anger with no cause. overreaction of anger to any frustrating situation. quick desire to resort to physical altercations.
Anger? Sorry snowflake, you don't seem to even know what anger is, you poor, deluded sod.
Hey, it's your crappy life to live. Just remember you only get one.
D-550, EX-8000, Juno 60, Matrix-1000, MicroWave I Rev A, MicroWave II XT, MKS-7, MkS-20 x2, MKS-30, MKS-50, MKS-70, MKS-80 rev 4, MKS-80 rev 5, Nord Rack 2, Nord Rack 3, Pulse 1, Pulse 2, REV2, Shruthi SMR-4 MKII, Shruthi 4MP, Tetra, Virus TI2 keyboard

Ex Machina wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:35 am
BONES wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:07 am
Hey, it's your crappy life to live. Just remember you only get one.
Until you are reincarnated...
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

BONES wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:47 pm
Spin Boyz wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:55 pm Steinberg has the most tedious steps for tapping a tempo. Its really odd. I can't be the only one that finds this frustrating in Cubase.
I dunno, it's not a feature I would ever even think to look for, much less use.
That's because your music only has one setting: Violence. :D

It's good to see things haven't changed much here. Feels like a nice comfy chair.

With Cubase,it loves it's own software.

As soon as you load any third party Instruments,she goes haywire.

The latest Cubase 12 has this issue where if you press the play button it takes some time before it plays. This is a fresh install, mind you. It drove me nuts so I gave up after that.

It's a shame, I was really excited about C12 as I was used to previous versions and they finally decided to get rid of the dongle. Alas, that pause behavior was a show stopper for me.

Cubase 12 is a feature rich juggernaut which can do just about everything conceivable.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Most of the times when Cubase is doing something weird it ends up being my fault.

Smasha wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:39 am With Cubase,it loves it's own software.

As soon as you load any third party Instruments,she goes haywire.
That's not true at all in my experience. It actually handles VST3 quite well, third party as well, as compared to other DAWs that I've tried (Studio One, Ableton Live, FL Studio & Bitwig)
keyman_sam wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:12 am The latest Cubase 12 has this issue where if you press the play button it takes some time before it plays. This is a fresh install, mind you. It drove me nuts so I gave up after that.
Indeed I have experienced this as well, during only heavy CPU loads though, the rest of the times it works absolutely fine. I think it's the CPU overprocessing that causes this.
Ableton Live | Numark Party Mix II | Arturia MINILAB 3

^^ I have this issue with nothing but 1 track in the project. Also it's a shame they don't allow us to select themes from past cubase versions. I'd love to stick to the 7.5 theme which I personally thought was the best.

I've been with Cubase exclusively since Cubase SX3 up to Cubase 12. I switched to Studio One 6 for various reasons and I find Studio One easier to work with. That said there are a few things I don't like about both. No daw is perfect. It's all about workflow. Just one example, in Cubase 12 the eq is already part of the channel set up. In Studio One I would need to drag and drop and instance an eq on each individual channel I want one on. I don't care for that. On the other hand, in Studio One, that drag and drop whatever plugin to wherever you want feature is hard to beat for convenience. All about which flow works better.
At first I thought Studio One looked too busy. Now I'm used to it and it makes more sense to me that virtually everything is accessible from one page pretty much. I think the biggest differences may be found by people who use features I don't use. I compose instrumentals and I like to keep it simple. I'm writing for music libraries and not releasing music to the public so I don't need or even know most of the features in either because I don't get too deep into the weeds on either but for what I do, Studio seems to take off where Cubase left off. It's nice to have and be able to compose on either though. That's the best of both worlds.

I've held off from upgrading to S1 v6 as £129 is expensive for what only looks like a $50 upgrade from v5.

But v6.2 has just come out this week.

From the release notes there seem to be quite a few new technical features - apart from the constant blandishments to buy into presonus sphere - now S1+ - which I don't want as I'm not looking for free construction kits, tutorials or group chat/collaboration.

So it's time to youtube a video explaining why these v6.2 improvements are now worth my £129.

Anyone else held off on v6?
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

dblock wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:13 pm .. Just one example, in Cubase 12 the eq is already part of the channel set up...
Is it not an option to replace the default preset with another one that has FatChannel?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5yr5JrFatQ

ps. StudioOne+ contains all the Presonus Complete Fat Channel Collection Vol. 1. https://shop.presonus.com/Fat-Channel-C ... -ins/page/ by default
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:36 pm
dblock wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:13 pm .. Just one example, in Cubase 12 the eq is already part of the channel set up...
Is it not an option to replace the default preset with another one that has FatChannel?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5yr5JrFatQ

ps. StudioOne+ contains all the Presonus Complete Fat Channel Collection Vol. 1. https://shop.presonus.com/Fat-Channel-C ... -ins/page/ by default
Thanks a lot xbitz! I hardly needed to watch a sec or two of the video before the light bulb went off that I can take the fatchannel and eq or whatever, construct my own default channel strip and just call it up on all the channels in my template.My brain just needed a kick in the ass to get thinking so your reply got me the answers I needed. The thing about moving to a new daw is retraining your brain to think what you can do instead of what you're used to doing.
Thanks!

^^^ The Fat Channel has a more useful minimalized look this is why I mentioned that one (and stock one) eq also a clickable one
--
btw. just seen C12 on https://splice.com/plugins/search?category=daw
Last edited by xbitz on Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”