Apple introduces M2 Ultra

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Scotty wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:46 am The ultra m2 studio went up $500 cnd + tax over its m1 ultra counterpart. That is a very steep Apple tax that our American friends to the south don’t have to pay. My pal was holding out for this to get a bit more cpu power and now can’t afford it, he had the Uktra m1 studio funded. That’s a big increase. There should still be some m1 ultra inventory out there but not on Apple Canadas website.
wait a few weeks: I bet a few will pop up on the refurbished store when some people return the ones they bought a few weeks ago for the m2 though it will be a lottery to get the specs if they don't want the standard memory/ssd.

PAK wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:22 am $7k for a system lucky to keep up with a 13900k?
It won't keep up with the 13900k.
Run Cinebench R23 multi-core test.
That'll tell you where the M2 Ultra stands vs a "workstation" type CPU.

The M2 will perform well for what it is...
A power-efficient CPU designed specifically for tight enclosures.
It will never be the performance equal of a workstation type CPU... where ultimate performance is the end goal.

Apple realized that small/sleek well-packaged machines will (with the general-population) outsell large higher-performance machines.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Apple is a kinda a cult . They are a turn off these days . Soldering ram , soldering SSDs , the iphone right to repair fiasco , OS updates that slow your phone or computer down , kill your battery performance so where you buy another one ...then they say they are green .... There cult leader has really got everyone snowed . They are very shiny .

Jim Roseberry wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:56 am
PAK wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:22 am $7k for a system lucky to keep up with a 13900k?

It will never be the performance equal of a workstation type CPU... where ultimate performance is the end goal.

Apple realized that small/sleek well-packaged machines will (with the general-population) outsell large higher-performance machines.
On cinebench r23 it hits the same performance than my old 5950x AMD with only 16 cores. But good that there is more competition on cpu market.
But there for the price of Mac Pro you can upgrade your pc much many times ….

fedexnman wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:32 pm Apple is a kinda a cult . They are a turn off these days . Soldering ram , soldering SSDs , the iphone right to repair fiasco , OS updates that slow your phone or computer down , kill your battery performance so where you buy another one ...then they say they are green .... There cult leader has really got everyone snowed . They are very shiny .
I agree. My last Apple product is a MacBook from 2011. Apple won't get any money from me.
First and foremost: We need great songs (again)

I love my M1 mini! And my iPad Air! And my iPhone 12 mini!

:x :roll: :box:
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:38 pm I love my M1 mini! And my iPad Air! And my iPhone 12 mini!

you'll look great in the new mask as well :tu:

That is likely true. The extra performance for graphics people would be worth returning it and paying the $500 bucks for the M2 Ultra. If so he might be able to afford a refurbed m1 ultra with a larger SSD,

gaggle of hermits wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:45 am
Scotty wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:46 am The ultra m2 studio went up $500 cnd + tax over its m1 ultra counterpart. That is a very steep Apple tax that our American friends to the south don’t have to pay. My pal was holding out for this to get a bit more cpu power and now can’t afford it, he had the Uktra m1 studio funded. That’s a big increase. There should still be some m1 ultra inventory out there but not on Apple Canadas website.
wait a few weeks: I bet a few will pop up on the refurbished store when some people return the ones they bought a few weeks ago for the m2 though it will be a lottery to get the specs if they don't want the standard memory/ssd.

vurt wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:40 pm
Bombadil wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:38 pm I love my M1 mini! And my iPad Air! And my iPhone 12 mini!

:x :lol:
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:28 pm
vurt wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:40 pm

:x :lol:
:P :hihi:

Jim Roseberry wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:56 am

Oh look, someone with an unbiased opinion chiming in! :lol:

Jim Roseberry wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:56 am It won't keep up with the 13900k.
I can't find any verified results (Cinebench R23 MultiCore) yet. What is the new Apple M2 Ultra chip lacking in architecture? Why exactly the M2 Ultra can't compete with Intel 13900k, Jim?

Etienne1973 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:43 pm
Jim Roseberry wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:56 am It won't keep up with the 13900k.
I can't find any verified results (Cinebench R23 MultiCore) yet. What is the new Apple M2 Ultra chip lacking in architecture? Why exactly the M2 Ultra can't compete with Intel 13900k, Jim?
You might notice, Jim sells custom PCs, it doesn't take much logic to decipher that objectivity is statistically near impossible for him.

I guess the reason why I rant about Apple is because I want to like them , but I just don't. I'm happy for folks that like them and can afford them . I wanted an m1 n m2 macmini , but once I added up the 16gb ram and 1 tb SSD I was like I'll just build a PC ... I was not even planning on running Logic on it either lolz ... My wife has iphone 12 she used to have the iphone 6S plus ,I bought her both. She liked the 6s+ better. I should a got her iphone12promax ... I guess I was trying to be thrifty....I'll get her the 15promax when ever that comes out. She NEVER updates iOS ? She also doesn't back up her iphone either hilarious . I guess I have a live n hate with Apple .

machinesworking wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:58 pm
Etienne1973 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:43 pm
You might notice, Jim sells custom PCs, it doesn't take much logic to decipher that objectivity is statistically near impossible for him.
Actually I find his comments the fairest... and I imagine he is basing it on what is currently out there for mac and using apple's own faster than info https://www.apple.com/mac-studio/. I think PC's are faster but as he points out the mac's advantage architecture wise is ability for speed in small spaces with less requirements for heat dissipation.

Unlike what someone else said here, most of the applications I use anyway are both on mac and pc, so for me it usually boils down to which OS I prefer, and I prefer the mac os (been using a mac since 1988, and owned one since 1989) about One Billion Times more than the PC and I have both and when I was an IT consultant, 99% of my clients were PC based.

I have long accepted I don't choose a mac because it is faster than a PC, but 1) I much rather the OS 2) for me they give less issues (see the for me part?) 3) I can get it back up and running so much quicker if I have issues (between time machine and or cloning) 4) when I buy a new mac I can transfer everything much more seamlessly.

And yes my next PC like my present one will most likely be bought from Jim.

My two cents.

rsp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sound sculptist

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”