⚠ ⚠ Reason 12.6 - No perpetual offline-licence mode anymore! ⚠ ⚠

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

LaLivre wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:56 am That is very important to know and I will not support this. They call it perpetual even if its not perpetual!!
It is a perpetual license. You don’t have to pay money every year to keep using it.
LaLivre wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:01 am Everything is written clearly: You have to re-new it via internet once a year otherwise you can not use the software - even if you bought your "perpetual" (annual would be the correct word) license*. :(
It is clearly written, which is why I’m dumbfounded how people are tripping over themselves misunderstanding this.

It is not “re-new”. It is “re-activate”.

The only “problem” there is to be had here is if someone doesn’t want to be bothered having to ACTIVATE the software they use.

I’m sure it’s annoying for some people, but it’s just that. An annoyance. Deal with it or stop using their software.

If this completely cripples your workflow, I don’t see how that’s RS’ fault or problem.

It is perpetual with yearly internet activation only, it is not not perpetual in a classic way how you received your licence the last 20 years. If I want to live for the next 3 years without internet then it is not perpetual anymore.

" If this completely cripples your workflow, I don’t see how that’s RS’ fault or problem."

-> It does not cripples my workflow only, it makes me move away from Reason Studios as a customer. I will never ever buy a product of this company again - as long as this new contract form exists and even if they change it back, my trust is gone for long time now.

i need Help wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:27 pm
LaLivre wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:56 am That is very important to know and I will not support this. They call it perpetual even if its not perpetual!!
It is a perpetual license. You don’t have to pay money every year to keep using it.
LaLivre wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:01 am Everything is written clearly: You have to re-new it via internet once a year otherwise you can not use the software - even if you bought your "perpetual" (annual would be the correct word) license*. :(
It is clearly written, which is why I’m dumbfounded how people are tripping over themselves misunderstanding this.

It is not “re-new”. It is “re-activate”.

The only “problem” there is to be had here is if someone doesn’t want to be bothered having to ACTIVATE the software they use.

I’m sure it’s annoying for some people, but it’s just that. An annoyance. Deal with it or stop using their software.

If this completely cripples your workflow, I don’t see how that’s RS’ fault or problem.
Well, you have to think ahead. Slow steps are taken until the offline version needs an online check every 6 months, then 3 and so on. They ease people into it. I understand the thread starter, we vote with our wallet. It's best to check the updates and the changes which are being introduced. No need to rush updates these days.
First and foremost: We need great songs (again)

LaLivre wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:20 pm
dlandis wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:11 pm
LaLivre wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:18 pm Once a year is once a year. What if I decide to live without internet? I am a friend of the right to live autonomous and offline. You can use it, if you want to support this kind of model. It is just an important information because i didn't even realise this licence change as a Reason user.
So you don't check for updates to your software via the internet? Am I missing something?
sigh...you really do not understand it, right? But hey, no offense to you... sorry if it sounds arrogant in some way, I really just don't want to explain it again and again.
No offence taken, but (and no offence intended from my end either; it's becoming obvious that our paradigms are disjoint,) it just seems odd that an electronic musician would have problems with getting on the internet to continue using software in order to make sure that their activation remains current to the extent that either 1) s/he does actually insure that s/he has the latest updates, but has an issue with a free reactivation once a year, or 2) s/he refuses to use the internet even to make certain that s/he has the latest update.

If the first, the position seems inconsistent since we are, after all is said and done, using computers and the internet is at this point a "given" in the distribution of updated/debugged existing software, so one is already probably in a routine to ensure this at some level. Hence, having an issue spending a few minutes to help the supplier protect his/her investment so that updates may continue unabated seems inconsistent as both are essentially part of the same rubric, as it were.

If the second scenario is entertained, however, while certainly anyone may feel so strongly as to avoid the internet for even updates, it is clear that eventually there would probably be issues keeping the system stable and/or contemporaneous, given the ever-advancing nature of technology. This is especially true as there is no cost at all to what Reason is proposing: it simply takes a few minutes of one's time once a year.

Having written this, however, it seems that you have determined that this new policy is a bridge-too-far for your purposes. That, all told, I'm sure is probably for the best if you are comfortable with it. From my perspective, this would be an overreaction, but you've got a very different life experience than I, so more power to you. But, I should note (again, without rancor of any type,) it does seem a bit ironic for you to be announcing that you are "a friend of the right to live autonomous (sic) and offline" on an internet forum.
Last edited by dlandis on Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:23 am, edited 13 times in total.
“Madness, as you know, is like gravity: all it takes is a little push.”

Songwriter101 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:56 pm Well, you have to think ahead. Slow steps are taken until the offline version needs an online check every 6 months, then 3 and so on. They ease people into it. I understand the thread starter, we vote with our wallet. It's best to check the updates and the changes which are being introduced. No need to rush updates these days.
I agree with the idea of “thinking ahead”. I guess forgive me for showing my American but I’m just kinda jaded at this point of this mindset of “Follow the rabbit hole aaaaaaall the way down at the first sign of something you don’t agree with or—very importantly—just don’t understand.”

It’s one relatively minor change, with an acceptable technical explanation of why it’s been implemented which wasn’t even mentioned in passing from OP, and all a sudden people are acting as if RS Operatives kicked their studio doors down, ransacked their studios to find their perpetual licenses, burned/ deleted them then for good measure looked you in the eye and said “This is a personal attack against your freedoms!”

Complain about the change being inconvenient. I’m sure it is for some.

Complain about you having an offline studio and now have to find a workaround. Annoying, I get it.

Complain that you have to slightly change your perfect, unchanged-for-15-years workflow. I was irked when I had to finally upgrade my FireWire interface.

But “This is the first step towards removing perpetual licenses completely! Next it will be 6 months offline, then 3 months, then they will shut off authorization servers completely and no one will have any power to do anything!! I am stocking up on Ignition Keys and building an underground studio and suggest you do the same before it’s too late!!” (obviously paraphrasing and being sarcastic, but this is the Internet, so saying it out loud).

Maybe pump the breaks just a bit.

i need Help wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:06 pm
Songwriter101 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:56 pm Well, you have to think ahead. Slow steps are taken until the offline version needs an online check every 6 months, then 3 and so on. They ease people into it. I understand the thread starter, we vote with our wallet. It's best to check the updates and the changes which are being introduced. No need to rush updates these days.
I agree with the idea of “thinking ahead”. I guess forgive me for showing my American but I’m just kinda jaded at this point of this mindset of “Follow the rabbit hole aaaaaaall the way down at the first sign of something you don’t agree with or—very importantly—just don’t understand.”

It’s one relatively minor change, with an acceptable technical explanation of why it’s been implemented which wasn’t even mentioned in passing from OP, and all a sudden people are acting as if RS Operatives kicked their studio doors down, ransacked their studios to find their perpetual licenses, burned/ deleted them then for good measure looked you in the eye and said “This is a personal attack against your freedoms!”

Complain about the change being inconvenient. I’m sure it is for some.

Complain about you having an offline studio and now have to find a workaround. Annoying, I get it.

Complain that you have to slightly change your perfect, unchanged-for-15-years workflow. I was irked when I had to finally upgrade my FireWire interface.

But “This is the first step towards removing perpetual licenses completely! Next it will be 6 months offline, then 3 months, then they will shut off authorization servers completely and no one will have any power to do anything!! I am stocking up on Ignition Keys and building an underground studio and suggest you do the same before it’s too late!!” (obviously paraphrasing and being sarcastic, but this is the Internet, so saying it out loud).

Maybe pump the breaks just a bit.
https://sive.rs/horses

;-)
First and foremost: We need great songs (again)

Living daily in fear is worse than facing the problem "once" and done with it! 8)
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

dlandis wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:03 pm [From my perspective, this would be an overreaction, ...
And this is a beautiful understatement ha ha.

This discussion must be the most quintessential expression of "first World problem".

And total bullshit.

1 - if your computer is not regularly updated from Internet, you don't run security patches and all. It is a real issue.
That had nothing to do with companies trying to reduce the liberty of people, this is just companies trying to adapt to the main use case of their users.... if 99.99% of the people are online, why adapt workflow for the convenience of the 0.01%?

2 - if you are not online, then just change the date of your computer to be in the past.... you got your perpetual licence.

Jac459 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:14 am
2 - if you are not online, then just change the date of your computer to be in the past.... you got your perpetual licence.
That works often but I doubt Reason Studios are that naive :D

liquidsound wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:29 am
Jac459 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:14 am
That works often but I doubt Reason Studios are that naive :D
Ha ha... True... But I don't think they would consume a lot of engineering power in order to protect this very unrealistic scenario....

Anyway, all this rant about loss of freedom really shows people will always find a way to complain. Before it was because Reason wasn't updated fast enough. Now it is because they don't want Reason to be updated... That's funny...

I guess there was also a lot of complains when the world stopped using horses to move to cars...

The world moved to be a connected world. That's a fact and it brings a lot of advantages.
I love pigments and phase plant getting news features for free because I am connected to internet. I love Reason getting new features for free because I am connected to the Internet...

And seeing how brick and mortar DVD rental are successful versus Netflix, I guess I am not the only one....

So I am not saying that we shouldn't monitor our liberty... But this is clearly not a loss of liberty.

Maybe s/he took a course with Tom Brown jr. :hihi:

liquidsound wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:25 pm You mean in Linux you don’t need to reactivate Reason even after a year? :?
No, but most pro audio software on linux is either open source, free, or not hindered by subscriptions, challenge/response, online activations, or other repressive software protection schemes. Subscriptions won’t fly there. Homey don’t play that game. Etc, etc.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

vurt wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:27 pm
audiojunkie wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:21 pm Every move like this that the industry makes pushes more and more people over to Linux and open source—one of the last bastions of freedom.

I am so glad that Linux gets better and easier to use, every year that passes. 🙂
oh no, you'll need another chair for the linux table at the annual meet up :hihi:
🤣
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Keeping your studio computer completely offline is a very common practice. It protects from attacks, viruses, unasked for updates, etc. Once you have a stable system that works for you, you tend to be very cautious about making any changes whatsoever.

Forcing a yearly renewal is the exact reason M$ VS Studio was summarily dumped off of my hard drive. It's not really "freedom" if you have to call home on a regular basis. Who knows what's actually going on behind the scenes... (No, I'm not being paranoid--"they" really do want all of the data that they can possibly extract from you.)
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

[/quote] Now it is because they don't want Reason to be updated... That's funny...
[/quote]

No, it is not because they want Reason to get updated, they want a proof of your licence.

And yes, this is a classical first world problem, human and property rights are very important in the "first world", it is always good to discuss those kind of fundamental rights

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”