⚠ ⚠ Reason 12.6 - No perpetual offline-licence mode anymore! ⚠ ⚠

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I can authorize one license of reason in multiple computers as long as it's done once per year? That's a win-win for me.

syntonica wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:41 am (No, I'm not being paranoid--"they" really do want all of the data that they can possibly extract from you.)
Yes, you definitely are.

You are comparing the risk of reason studios knowing once a year that you are connected with the risk of having a computer off the grid, unprotected.

What happen if you need a patch?
What happen if suddenly you have a bug?
Reconnecting a computer after 9 months is an actual risk, you can have virus and all. Basically you will he a sitting duck with a computer not patched for so long.
Plus you will plug USB devices and drive to it. USB drive is one of the favorite way to infect computers.
As a DAW, you never plug a drive to do backups? You just burn a cd for backup? That's non-sense....

Of course, you can still chose to do it if your computer is only serving as a one purpose instrument...
You considere it as a synth and call it a day. If it fails you buy another one...

But doing that for a DAW is just senseless.
If some studios do it, they are clearly unprofessional.

keyman_sam wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:49 am So I can authorize one license of reason in multiple computers as long as it's done once per year? That's a win-win for me.
Yes absolutely.

Once a year is absolutely fine, you need to be online to download/update Reason, this is no big deal at all.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

LaLivre wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:12 am
No, it is not because they want Reason to get updated, they want a proof of your licence.

And yes, this is a classical first world problem, human and property rights are very important in the "first world", it is always good to discuss those kind of fundamental rights
I agree. They want a proof of your licence. My point is that it will only be an issue for you if you plan not to update for more than one year . Meaning you chose not to update.

And I hate to break it to you but there is NO concept of property rights for software.
It is only an authorisation to use under many conditions (like you can't resell for example, without particular conditions as I guess you know).

Here this is an extract of the IP contract of 'Cockos Reaper". I chose this one because they are supposed to be the "good guys", open source friendly and all.

"
Except as expressly permitted herein or by applicable law, Licensee shall not, and shall not permit any distributor or other person to, re-configure, modify, translate, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, or otherwise determine or attempt to determine source code from the Product or to create any derivative works based upon the Products.
"

And

"
Proprietary Rights. Title to and ownership of all copies of the Products, including all copyrights thereto, whether in machine-readable or printed form, and including without limitation derivative works, compilations, or collective works thereof and all related technical know-how and all rights therein are and shall remain the exclusive property of Cockos or its suppliers
"

If you buy a synth, it is yours. You can open it, modify it as you want sell it as you want...

I suggest you stop using software....
Last edited by Jac459 on Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

There is still no convincing reason for me to check my licence once a year for the ability using a software I bought.

Studio one does it? No
Cubase does it? No
Ableton does it? No
Neaper? No
Logic? i do not know, I guess: No.

This stuff they do is just arbitrary restriction of user rights to me.

LaLivre wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:45 am There is still no convincing reason for me to check my licence once a year for the ability using a software I bought.

Studio one does it? No
Cubase does it? No
Ableton does it? No
Neaper? No
Logic? i do not know, I guess: No.

This stuff they do is just arbitrary restriction of user rights to me.
That's your right to think like that 😊.

Jac459 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:57 am You are comparing the risk of reason studios knowing once a year that you are connected with the risk of having a computer off the grid, unprotected.
Off the grid is protected.
What happen if you need a patch?
What happen if suddenly you have a bug?
Download it on another computer and donkey it over via sneaker net. Many music software companies still offer offline registration for this very reason.
Reconnecting a computer after 9 months is an actual risk, you can have virus and all. Basically you will he a sitting duck with a computer not patched for so long.
You've been a Windows user far too long... Your OS shouldn't be vulnerable just sitting on a network.
Plus you will plug USB devices and drive to it. USB drive is one of the favorite way to infect computers.
You've been a Windows user far too long... Where are you getting your USB drives/sticks from?!?
As a DAW, you never plug a drive to do backups? You just burn a cd for backup? That's non-sense....
You've been a Windows user far too long... And what's wrong with DVD/CD backups?
But doing that for a DAW is just senseless.
If some studios do it, they are clearly unprofessional.
I'm sure many professional studios would disagree.

Modern software isn't a service or a product anymore, it is spyware. E.g. my parents just bought on if those automatic Roomba-type sweepers. The iPad software to run it insisted it needed Location Services be turned on for it to operate. I'll let you ponder that one awhile.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

syntonica wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:48 pm Off the grid is protected.
Well, of course not. A software that is working one day can stop working another day (for many many possible reasons, but the most common a resource leak, like a data structure slowly increasing, sometimes for years until it fails). That's why banks are paying millions and millions of dollars in maintenance, in order to have a rapid intervention in case there is a bug in a payment system, or a database or whatever. Because they don't accept any downtime... If you are a professional company with big duties, you can't rely on luck for a software to work. You necessarily have a warranty. You may not know but the market of company "insuring" open source products is in multi-billions dollars industry. For a single user it is not needed. For a company it is...
Have you heard about the year 2000 bug, the 2001 GPS bug ? They are famous example but this happens always (meaning every year). If you are a serious company, you don't accept that.
Download it on another computer and donkey it over via sneaker net. Many music software companies still offer offline registration for this very reason.
So basically your genius idea is to download the software (and potentially the malware) from an immune computer. Copy it on the usb drive (which is the first thing the virus goes to). And then put it in your unprotected computer ? That's very smart... :clap:
You've been a Windows user far too long... Your OS shouldn't be vulnerable just sitting on a network.
Well, you clearly have no clue of what you are talking about... I suggest you google "Zero-day exploit", "macOS", "2023". If you're lazy, a Zero-day exploit is when a weakness in a system is so big that you have to "run for your life and fix it immediately". MacOS has it regularly too... And they have a very good team to fix it very quickly (if you are connected on internet of course).

Just to be very clear as you seems to have no clue in security matters.
Why it is important to fix it immediately and not wait 3 months "anyway you are off-the-grid so protected"?
It is because during these 3 months, a ton of stupid hackers will use the newly documented exploit to create a ton of virus. So if you connect 3 months later into the internet, even during the time you update your machine, you can be infected. If you do it the day of the exploit discovery... No big deal, very often, Microsoft and Apple are faster to correct than the "average hackers" to create and broadcast the virus.
You've been a Windows user far too long... Where are you getting your USB drives/sticks from?!?
Well this point is so stupid, I fail to find arguments...
You've been a Windows user far too long... And what's wrong with DVD/CD backups?
Only the fact that it is impractical and slow (nothing wrong from security standpoint).
I'm sure many professional studios would disagree.
I am sure too, thanks to companies like them and people like you the business of malware is floorishing. Again, type "malware" "statistics" "fbi" in google and document yourself... It will maybe save you some tears in the future....
Modern software isn't a service or a product anymore, it is spyware. E.g. my parents just bought on if those automatic Roomba-type sweepers. The iPad software to run it insisted it needed Location Services be turned on for it to operate. I'll let you ponder that one awhile.
Sorry man, I am not interested in your life and your parents stories.
I just suggest you to use common sense to assess your security risks. I am not asking you to distribute all your personal data everywhere... Just compare connecting once a year to a company you have already registered your data versus taking a major security risk with your computer...
Last edited by Jac459 on Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

If I’m not mistaken, even if they do not require a once a year activation, how in hell you buy anything from them which will require the “authorizer”, no longer the dongle from 12.6 on, and that “software” it’s not movable to a usb drive?

You better stay below version 12.6 and even then, I’m not sure you can activate a RE just with the dongle. I’ve never tried that from another computer without Reason/Authorizer on it…..

If that’s the case, your case is over because you never did what you are claiming they are restricting you from… Forced Connection regardless of “principles”.

You are pissed. Take a brake from music until you find a good “reason” to go with the flow.
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

liquidsound wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:21 pm If I’m not mistaken, even if they do not require a once a year activation, how in hell you buy anything from them which will require the “authorizer”, no longer the dongle from 12.6 on, and that “software” it’s not movable to a usb drive?

You better stay below version 12.6 and even then, I’m not sure you can activate a RE just with the dongle. I’ve never tried that from another computer without Reason/Authorizer on it…..

If that’s the case, your case is over because you never did what you are claiming they are restricting you from… Forced Connection regardless of “principles”.

You are pissed. Take a brake from music until you find a good “reason” to go with the flow.
What is true is that if you unplug the computer and put it in a drawer. You won't have any security issue AND you won't give your data to these bastards. F... you Reason !

:hihi:
Last edited by Jac459 on Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beside all arguments and all philosophy, they made a long (Man, it's really 20 years nearly) loyal Reason user jump the ship with this move. So, good luck with this strange new system, it feels like I lost a long, but sometimes really tragical love.

No more sequencer moaning, no more workflow frustration, no more thoughts if the company will get another owner or subsription only, no more new devices, no more unclear announcements and never again any of my money to the newest release of the good old Reason.

My customer times are over.
Last edited by LaLivre on Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LaLivre wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:35 pm Beside all arguments and all philosophy, they made a long (Man, it's really 20 years nearly) loyal Reason user jump the ship with this move. So, I wish them good luck with their new system, it feels like I lost a long, but sometimes really tragical love.

No more sequencer moaning, no more workflow frustration, no more thoughts if the company will get another owner, no more new devices and never again my money to the newest release of good old Reason.

My customer time is over.
I just pity the next DAW company you will go to lol...

Jac459 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:39 pm
LaLivre wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:35 pm Beside all arguments and all philosophy, they made a long (Man, it's really 20 years nearly) loyal Reason user jump the ship with this move. So, I wish them good luck with their new system, it feels like I lost a long, but sometimes really tragical love.

No more sequencer moaning, no more workflow frustration, no more thoughts if the company will get another owner, no more new devices and never again my money to the newest release of good old Reason.

My customer time is over.
I just pity the next DAW company you will go to lol...
... if they introduce a similar licence model after some years, yes ....then you are right.

LaLivre wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:35 pm Beside all arguments and all philosophy, they made a long (Man, it's really 20 years nearly) loyal Reason user jump the ship with this move. So, good luck with this strange new system, it feels like I lost a long, but sometimes really tragical love.

No more sequencer moaning, no more workflow frustration, no more thoughts if the company will get another owner or subsription only, no more new devices, no more unclear announcements and never again any of my money to the newest release of the good old Reason.

My customer times are over.
Have you asked yourself what’s there to loose if you keep going? If it’s only in your head then you will carry your head for the rest of your life. That’s not Reason Studios then.

You will not live forever. Enjoy this short journey. Relax and make good music. Who knows how many of us will not be here before the next activation… enjoy your toys.
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”