Cakewalk free version being phased out

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm an FL user but have had this installed for ages thinking I would get around to giving it a proper whirl some day.
I will just uninstall it now. Nice of them to set it free for so long though.

I tried this and wondered how long it would stay free. It was too good. I'm sure someone's mentioned they are taking applications for beta testers for Next and Sonar.

They've been working on the new Sonar since last November so I would expect it to be nice. Hopefully: new GUI, integrated samplers for drums and one-shots, online collab features, integration with their mobile/browser apps, access from the browser to the Bandlab free samples (you should check them out, they're always adding more and they're pretty decent), maybe even finishing the Matrix view to make it a full featured clip launcher, a MUCH better MIDI controller integration...

What's there is already nice, but with these changes it could be a main player IMO.

I wonder if old products will be brought back and updated, such as Rapture Pro.

Danilo Villanova wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:03 pm They've been working on the new Sonar since last November so I would expect it to be nice. Hopefully: new GUI
A new GUI, or an improved GUI is already confirmed.

Examigan wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:09 pm I wonder if old products will be brought back and updated, such as Rapture Pro.
Z3ta+!

But, I don't think so. ;)

That one too!

Examigan wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:09 pm I wonder if old products will be brought back and updated, such as Rapture Pro.
I don't think so.
Those old products is owned by other companies and would need negotiations.
Considering the wast amount of work to develop three functioning daws. When did they have time for that? :shrug: 8)

I liked Rapture. I bought the boxed version, but that last update they did broke something. Cakewalk needs to step up the game with effects though. I never liked the Reverbs, fx or onboard synths.

Saffran wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:27 pm
I don't think so.
Those old products is owned by other companies and would need negotiations.
Considering the wast amount of work to develop three functioning daws. When did they have time for that? :shrug: 8)
Yep. And that will surely also mean that they didn't overhaul/revamp the included plugins in Cakewalk/Sonar, which has always been one of my points of critic, the ancient plugins in the DAW, which also feel pretty out of place regarding their GUI's.

Well, maybe that's much less of an issue for other people.

At this point, I'm far more interested in the plugins than I am in the DAW.
Pretty much done with Roland/Cakewalk or any other company fronting them. I knew this company would eventually do this. It fits the usual MO. The only thing left at this point is how they implement another subscription scheme and online constant license authorization.

BBFG# wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:00 pm Pretty much done with Roland/Cakewalk or any other company fronting them. I knew this company would eventually do this. It fits the usual MO.
Considering that they're a Bandlab brand now (which includes all of Cakewalk's intellectual property), I can't see how it fits Cakewalks usual MO.

chk071 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:07 pm
BBFG# wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:00 pm Pretty much done with Roland/Cakewalk or any other company fronting them. I knew this company would eventually do this. It fits the usual MO.
Considering that they're a Bandlab brand now (which includes all of Cakewalk's intellectual property), I can't see how it fits Cakewalks usual MO.
It's revealing itself now. And right in line with my personal predictions that they would follow the same trajectory.
It's plain to see for some of us.

The ones in charge of business decision aren't the developers though. It's Bandlab's decision.

"It's not the dog, it's the owner"?

Begs the question of why the worst people so often choose pit bulls then.

This news speaks volumes.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”