IKM 5 plug-ins of your choice, what are the best for you?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bmanic wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:40 am
zerocrossing wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:05 am
bmanic wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 5:46 pm I don't know what it is about Amplitude but I just don't get it. People keeps saying it's fine but to my ears there is something wrong with the overall sound of it.. like there is some kind of weakness/edge to it that just sounds bad. It almost sounds to me like the whole thing is some kind of "wrapper" that has a bad built in oversampling from input to output.

It's possible that I'm heavily affected by the visual placebo or something but ever since amplitube 2 (the first version I had) I've felt it's just "wrong" somehow. Very strange as I don't hear this same thing in their other plugins.

I also don't like their AI modeled guitar thing. It's edgy and weak sounding to me. Something is seriously lacking in the critical 1-5kHz region.

Probably it's just me.. :shrug:
Yeah, I don’t know what you’re talking about. I went on a very extensive test of available modelers, including an AxeFX 3, and I found Amplitube to be among the best.
Indeed. Same here, have tried pretty much everything available and Amplitude still sounds pretty bad to me. :shrug:

So far I've been quite impressed by some of the Neural Amp Modeler captures. Some are horrible sounding but others are really impressive. Again, it's weird but some of those captures just don't have the same issues IK Tonex system has. Many of the Tonex captures are congested sounding and a bit brittle. Again, I don't know what I'm hearing but whatever it is, IK multimedia (and you and many other people) aren't hearing the same thing I am. Good thing there are so many options out there.
One thing I’ve noticed with Amplitube is that it’s very much like an amp in that your initial gain can make a huge difference, and sending what seems to be a nice healthy signal to it doesn’t often yield the results you want, like using a clean boost pedal does. Also, some cabinet models just plain and simply suck, so I’ve taken to mostly use my own commercial IRs from Ownhammer. So that’s my issue with Amplitube. They could improve all the cabinets that need a touch up. Some are great, though, like the Fender Bassman cab. Not the 1x15, the 4x10. (Or is it 12… I can’t remember) The ones that come with the newer custom packs, like the Satriani or May, tend to be good quality, IMO.

The thing that got me back into Amplitube was hearing some guy do a very detailed side-by-side of a few different amp modelers next to his real amp… I think it was the PRS model, and IMO, it was one of the best and better than his AxeFX. I was all AxeFX at the time, and it was a bit illuminating. The Fractal is great, but there’s something similar about all the models…. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but it’s like seeing a bunch of different paintings by the same artist. You can see the overall style, even if the subject matter is very different. That’s not a bad thing, though. The style is quite good.

I haven’t purchased any of the Neural DSP plugins yet. I tried them out while I was waiting for a Quad Cortex and I did like some of them, but I also don’t like the closed nature of their system. Like, why can’t I use the Rabea synth with the SLO cab or whatever. No, I don’t want to start loading up multiple instances of a plugin just to get a fuzz from one set on an amp from another. I want them to have a system like Amplitube where you can mix and match everything that you purchase. Also, a lot of them sounded sort of plastic to me… I can’t quite explain it, but they reminded me of Guitar Rig models. Maybe that’s just the style of that kind of amp, but I wasn’t into it. I’ll probably pick up the Rabea pack at some point. I had it in my cart with another one… and when I went to pull the plug, the sale had ended, so I said effit. Maybe next time.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Well I can definitely NOT recommend Neural DSP, considering how long it took for them to update things to Apple silicon and their recent Quad Cortex data breach issues (that they were warned about by users but ignored for months, until a hacker abused it, just to force them to take action).

Some of the Neural DSP stuff definitely sounds decent, even great, but as a company, I don't feel confident in them.

As for Amplitude speaker models, I haven't found a single good one.. but then again, like you, I have all the Ownhammer stuff that just sounds amazing compared to pretty much everybody else. Never felt the need to use any built in IR stuff in anything, the only exception being the IRs in Neural DSP Tone King Imperial which has a few really good mic+cab combos. For everything else I always use the Ownhammer impulses that cover such a wide variety of sound possibilities.

At the moment, I'm slowly but surely exploring the various captures for Neural Amp Modeler and I've already found a few that are really interesting. It's super cool when people sample the heads and power amps separately, meaning you can create pretty complex signal chains. The only downside to NAM is that at 48kHz sampling rate as the only one available, you will run into some aliasing issues if you make too large and too gain heavy combinations. Hopefully they will implement some sort of oversampling at some point. This would be especially useful for the myriad of distortion pedal captures where you run synths and drum machines through them.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

igorkrushch wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:52 am
heyheycnv wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:56 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:56 pm
heyheycnv wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:46 pm I've had Fame and Sunset crash Reaper more than once now. W10. Click to open them in the FX insert strip. Reaper stops responding. 20 seconds later Reaper goes down. Start it back up and Fame/Sunset open back up fine then.
Not sure what's going on but I'm now trying to remember to save progress before I use them.
Latest versions of everything? Mac or PC? Which plugin format? I've never had either crash Reaper that I can recall.
W10 and Reaper both up to date. It occurs after I load it once and then go back to it from the channel FXlist. Vst not Vst3. I've had plugins hang up and cause me to shut down Reaper (Waves) but don't recall having any make Reaper close down on itself.
One thought is display driver but that is also up to date.
Gotta figure this out. These two are fantastic and I want to use them a lot.
Yep, I got the exact same issue with Sunset. Didn't try the Fame one yet. Win10, Reaper. Opening the Sunset Studio Reverb works fine first time, then attempting to re-open it crashes Reaper sometimes.
Still crashing Reaper. Opened up a project that had Fame as a send. Clicked to open that up and boom, Reaper closed. Restarted and Fame opened up fine.

Lost a session and test vocals the other day. Didn't save progress, inserted Sunset sound, went back to it and Reaper crashed. I'll have to start looking through the Reaper forum.

Have contacted IK tech support. Tried to include my crash log report but got an error message after pasting it in and submitting.
Last edited by heyheycnv on Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Comprexxor. A must have in electronic music. A techno bliss.

White 2A
Vintage 670
Comprexxor
Tape Machine 24
Tape Machine 440
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

While I have a personal history of figuring out how downloadable things work, eg, where to choose and download my 5 purchased plugins, I find no functional instructions as to how to do this. I have followed instructions whereby I choose the product page in the IK Product Manager, but after receiving the "second email," from IK, there is still no clear path to finish the choosing and the downloading.

I can contact support if there's no obvious boneheaded failings on my part.

Any ideas?

uraniumbilly wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:04 pm While I have a personal history of figuring out how downloadable things work, eg, where to choose and download my 5 purchased plugins, I find no functional instructions as to how to do this. I have followed instructions whereby I choose the product page in the IK Product Manager, but after receiving the "second email," from IK, there is still no clear path to finish the choosing and the downloading.

I can contact support if there's no obvious boneheaded failings on my part.

Any ideas?
For the T-Racks stuff IK makes you download and install the entire suite of plugins. Then you have to go manually delete the ones you don't own on your machine. I like IK's products but their installation process sucks.

Log in, click your account and choose promotions - you should have 5 empty slots there to fill in with the plug-ins of your choice.
Does this help?

You’ll still have to activate those via the product manager.
member of the guild of professional dilettantes.

Download SOphist wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:25 pm Log in, click your account and choose promotions - you should have 5 empty slots there to fill in with the plug-ins of your choice.
Does this help?

You’ll still have to activate those via the product manager.
Helped completely. All downloads complete.

Thank you and thanks Sean ^ for taking the time to lend a hand. Much appreciated.

White 2a
Classic comp
Mastermatch
Buscomp
One

Installing T-Racks shows a download size of 2.8 GB, which seems remarkably large. If I'm only using a couple of plugins can I remove the majority of this bulk? It appears to require Custom Shop also, but I'm not sure if this constitutes part of the 2.8 GB.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

You will remove it from the vst folder manually.

What compressor module do you recomend for the global mix? Thanks!

goaltoday2005 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:16 pm What compressor module do you recomend for the global mix? Thanks!
dyna-mu, I guess.

Thanks!

Return to “Effects”