The Studio Log - What Did You Do In The Studio

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I’ve got the iPad version, can recommended that as it translates to the touchscreen very nicely.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Last night's session started with playing the bass through pitch-to-MIDI controlling Aalto, and it was glitching out and returning to a particular pitch that I wasn't playing... so I kind of harmonized with it. :hihi: And then went through ridiculous chains of effects, including Bitwig Harmonic Split with a frequency shifter on the fundamental. Backed that up with an improv on a slow, growly Chipspeech patch, and then a layer of Synchrodyne/Strega drones.

But somewhere in the middle, my wife left Stardew Valley running on her computer when she was off doing something else, and I thought the really quiet bird chirping noises would go along with my track. So I stuck my phone in front of the speaker and grabbed a lo-fi recording of it along with air conditioner noise. It all worked out just right :D

I've got 58:22 recorded for the album, and Spectraphon should arrive this afternoon. [EDIT: it's been delayed :( ]
Last edited by foosnark on Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Had a metal band in the studio that were recording a song.
These guys all had really long hair that they flipped in rhythm while while they shredded ( 2 guitars and 1 bass in a triangle).

It was hot in the studio and these guys were sweating heavily, so when they did the rhythmic hair flipping, it was like it was raining sweat in 3 directions.

So I asked this triangulating sweat tri if they could play without the hair flipping thing because of the rain of sweat in all directions.

They thought for a minute and said, "Well we have never tried that before but maybe we can...."

We preceded again and low and behold, they could do it.

I had a shower shortly after the session......

PatchAdamz wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:36 pmIt was hot in the studio and these guys were sweating heavily, so when they did the rhythmic hair flipping, it was like it was raining sweat in 3 directions...
:lol: I've definitely been there. Gotta put a gobo between you and the sweaty headbangers. :lol:
I'm a sweaty mf myself, so I often wear a headband while working in the studio, to avoid pouring perspiration into gear.

justin3am wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:46 pm
PatchAdamz wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:36 pmIt was hot in the studio and these guys were sweating heavily, so when they did the rhythmic hair flipping, it was like it was raining sweat in 3 directions...
:lol: I've definitely been there. Gotta put a gobo between you and the sweaty headbangers. :lol:
I'm a sweaty mf myself, so I often wear a headband while working in the studio, to avoid pouring perspiration into gear.
Nicest guys, must have drank a TON of liquids before the session.

that's rock n roll!

I’d have paid good money to watch a metal band that has 2 guitars and 1 bass and a triangle

Are you safe?

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:55 pm I’d have paid good money to watch a metal band that has 2 guitars and 1 bass and a triangle

I've never been overly keen on metal as a genre, but I agree most metalhead musicians I've met have been lovely people.
Never met any of the black metal/death metal crew though so I'm not counting the murdering bands in my sweeping statement.

Are you safe?

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:35 pm I've never been overly keen on metal as a genre, but I agree most metalhead musicians I've met have been lovely people.
Never met any of the black metal/death metal crew though so I'm not counting the murdering bands in my sweeping statement.
thats a particular group of the norwegian lot.
most death metal bands are actually nice blokes too.
we used to see the lads from carcass at loads of gigs, top blokes :tu:
met kreator (german lads) a couple of times too, again, really nice to chat with.

i did hear glen benton of deicide was a bit of a knob, but i never met him.

Recorded a lot of metal bands back in the day, most were very nice people.
But one scenario stands out, a very well known hard rock/metal guitarist.
His guitar tech came in and told me, "When "G" comes in, dont even look at him when he is recording, or he will throw his guitar threw the studio window." :o :roll:

Also

I first learned recording using the (exact) same mixing console used to record the first Van Halen LP.
The studio always advertised by having the mixing board that "Van Halen spit on".
I hope that was the only excretion from David Lee Roth.......

Should have overinsured your studio window and started a staring contest. :evil:

Are you safe?

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:15 pm Should have overinsured your studio window and started a staring contest. :evil:
Good idea....the bird likes it....

Last edited by PatchAdamz on Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Meanwhile, completely forgot how perfect the Microfreak’s shitty flat keybed is for finger drumming fast bass parts. The big downside though is however fun it is to play everything tends to come out sounding like a bad parody of Nick Beggs on Chapman Stick i.e. too shite, shite hush hush

Are you safe?

Had a good time jamming out a track. Now whether to leave it minimal or stick layers of other stuff on top. For once I may try the latter approach, think it would benefit from a bit more thinking about than I normally give stuff.

Edit: changed my mind, clearing the decks for whatever’s next.

Are you safe?

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”