Ableton Push 3 - standalone MPE controller

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

machinesworking wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:55 pm Sucks to be the odd meter person in electronic music these days.
Personally, I think it saved you from spending a lot of extra cash. :lol:

machinesworking wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:55 pm I should add this to it's own thread but I'm probably canceling my Push 3 stand alone order.
Found out today that Scenes do not have their own tempos and time signatures. This is a deal breaker here. So far we have no VST/AU, Arrangement mode, no Follow actions, only global time signatures and tempo.

I sold my MPC Live for various reason, but the main thing was how much work it is to have tracks with their own time signature in stand alone. It works perfectly easy in the MPC 2 software, but it's a total PITA in the stand alone. It's still better than Maschine, Push 3 SA, Circuit etc. that cannot do anything but one global time signature. :x

I emailed Ableton, but I don't expect anything of it, they intentionally left that feature out, and it's probably because for most of their users it's not a thing. Sucks to be the odd meter person in electronic music these days.
Not that I know anything, but I strongly doubt that feature won’t get added later.

That was one of the biggest requests in Live for the longest time, but I imagine getting it to work correctly in standalone is a different challenge for them.

Sorry, you don’t seem to be the odd meter person you thought you were… It’s just that Push 3 is currently a bit limited.

pdxindy wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:19 pm
machinesworking wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:55 pm Sucks to be the odd meter person in electronic music these days.
Personally, I think it saved you from spending a lot of extra cash. :lol:
:lol:
I travel a lot, something I can write with that isn’t tied to a computer would have value, but if the thing is only Session View without time signature changes per Scene even, with a M4L hack for sequencing Scenes, then the MPC in my use case beats it. I suppose an extra long USB cord with the regular non stand alone version works, and it will work with Bitwig once Moss gets ahold of it, which I mainly use anyway. I have a friend I collaborate with that uses Live, so it’s easier to use Live with him.

elxsound wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:22 pm Not that I know anything, but I strongly doubt that feature won’t get added later.

That was one of the biggest requests in Live for the longest time, but I imagine getting it to work correctly in standalone is a different challenge for them.

Sorry, you don’t seem to be the odd meter person you thought you were… It’s just that Push 3 is currently a bit limited.
Don’t get your last statement at all. I write about 40% of the time in a time signature outside of 4/4, and generally it’s mixed with other time signatures. So 9/8 with a break in 4/4 etc.

Absolutely no one should count on ableton to add in features in a timely fashion, last in line with MPE, 15+ years for duel monitor support and the same for full screen piano roll shortcuts. You still can’t split a midi note etc etc. Fortunately it’s possible to buy in at the Push 3 tethered audio interface control surface model and upgrade in the future if they ever add in the features..

drez wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:17 pm
machinesworking wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:55 pm I should add this to it's own thread but I'm probably canceling my Push 3 stand alone order.
Found out today that Scenes do not have their own tempos and time signatures. This is a deal breaker here. So far we have no VST/AU, Arrangement mode, no Follow actions, only global time signatures and tempo.

I sold my MPC Live for various reason, but the main thing was how much work it is to have tracks with their own time signature in stand alone. It works perfectly easy in the MPC 2 software, but it's a total PITA in the stand alone. It's still better than Maschine, Push 3 SA, Circuit etc. that cannot do anything but one global time signature. :x

I emailed Ableton, but I don't expect anything of it, they intentionally left that feature out, and it's probably because for most of their users it's not a thing. Sucks to be the odd meter person in electronic music these days.
I don't think they intentionally left it out, along with a lot of other things like mappings. I just don't think they've _gotten there yet_. I expect to see those things trickle in as they add those "features" to the standalone Live, but for sure, you gotta do what you think is right.
I think it would be better to buy in at the tethered model and upgrade when the features you want are there. Ableton did state that the non stand alone model was fully upgrade able to stand alone, and would accept hardware improvements that way, ie faster CPUs in the future etc.

machinesworking wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:35 pm
elxsound wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:22 pm Not that I know anything, but I strongly doubt that feature won’t get added later.

Don’t get your last statement at all. I write about 40% of the time in a time signature outside of 4/4, and generally it’s mixed with other time signatures. So 9/8 with a break in 4/4 etc.

Absolutely no one should count on ableton to add in features in a timely fashion, last in line with MPE, 15+ years for duel monitor support and the same for full screen piano roll shortcuts. You still can’t split a midi note etc etc. Fortunately it’s possible to buy in at the Push 3 tethered audio interface control surface model and upgrade in the future if they ever add in the features..
And… you’re not the only one who writes in “odd” time signatures, that’s all.

Don’t need to quantify it. It was a major request for a very long time.

Anyway, I’m not trying to talk you into purchasing. Don’t really care if you buy or not.

elxsound wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:41 am

Anyway, I’m not trying to talk you into purchasing. Don’t really care if you buy or not.
OK I suppose you’re talking about Scenes having a global time signature? because clips have always had that ability. :shrug: In this case I’m pretty dammed sure they simply haven’t added that feature or didn’t port it for some reason, but whatever, I can’t wait around for them to get it. Worst case scenario, it takes them two years and they release a major improvement on the CPU, RAM etc. for stand alone, so it makes no sense to wait, buy when they fix it.

machinesworking wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:21 am
elxsound wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:41 am

OK I suppose you’re talking about Scenes having a global time signature? because clips have always had that ability. :shrug: In this case I’m pretty dammed sure they simply haven’t added that feature or didn’t port it for some reason, but whatever, I can’t wait around for them to get it. Worst case scenario, it takes them two years and they release a major improvement on the CPU, RAM etc. for stand alone, so it makes no sense to wait, buy when they fix it.
This is what I’m talking about:

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... ss%20Enter.

machinesworking wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:55 pm I emailed Ableton, but I don't expect anything of it, they intentionally left that feature out, and it's probably because for most of their users it's not a thing. Sucks to be the odd meter person in electronic music these days.
Good that you mailed them about it. I don't think a feature is that high on their priorities this close to the launch. But I can see no reason why they wouldn't add it further on. In either case, I salute you for for doing odd meters. Odd meters are awesome.
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

DrGonzo wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:01 am
machinesworking wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:55 pm I emailed Ableton, but I don't expect anything of it, they intentionally left that feature out, and it's probably because for most of their users it's not a thing. Sucks to be the odd meter person in electronic music these days.
Good that you mailed them about it. I don't think a feature is that high on their priorities this close to the launch. But I can see no reason why they wouldn't add it further on. In either case, I salute you for for doing odd meters. Odd meters are awesome.
It's a weird anomaly from the way I started writing and my own brain. One of the first two songs I wrote for the Industrial band I was in back in the 80's was in 13/4. Some drummers love it, some hate it. :lol:

I already own Push 2, so not purchasing until they get it right makes more sense than waiting for it to appear if it does.

elxsound wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:45 am This is what I’m talking about:

OK, in previous versions of Live you would put the tempo and time signature after the name, and Live would conform to them. This is just a slicker version of what Live already could do. :shrug:

machinesworking wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:12 am
elxsound wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:45 am This is what I’m talking about:

OK, in previous versions of Live you would put the tempo and time signature after the name, and Live would conform to them. This is just a slicker version of what Live already could do. :shrug:
Man you’re stuck on the wrong things.

Again I couldn’t care less if you purchase a Push 3, later or ever.

All I said was this was a feature people wanted - the ability to change the time signature and to be clear, there was a time it wasn’t there.

I’m also not trying to convince you it’ll get added to standalone in any particular time frame you deem acceptable or not acceptable.

I think it’ll get added based on how long it was previously requested and how not adding it is a major regression. I don’t believe it’ll last that way for long.

That’s just my take on it. Nothing more. You obviously have your own ideas based on your experiences/perception and that’s just what it is.

elxsound wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:30 am I think it’ll get added based on how long it was previously requested and how not adding it is a major regression. I don’t believe it’ll last that way for long.

That’s just my take on it. Nothing more. You obviously have your own ideas based on your experiences/perception and that’s just what it is.
You may end up right... but it could also go the other way. Since it is unknown, it is generally a good rule of thumb not to buy something based on future possibilities that one considers important.

Even when a company specifically says they plan to do something, sh*t can happen and plans go awry.

elxsound wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:30 am Man you’re stuck on the wrong things.
Nope, you were not being very clear, it was at least a decade ago that they added the ability to change tempo etc. via Scene firing. You made some asinine assumption that came across as pedantic and dismissive.

Sometime conversations on the internet get stupid, this is one of them. You clearly said:
That's ridiculous, I was using Live in 2008 with full sets in each Scene, a few songs in 5/4 one with 4/4 breaks another in 9/4, 5/4 and 4/4. In the writing process none of this was hard, each freaking clip can have it's own time signature, it never was that big of a deal that a Scene didn't carry a global time signature, it was nice when it got added but it didn't stop me.

Seriously, grow up, go be a pedant to someone else.

pdxindy wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:55 am You may end up right... but it could also go the other way. Since it is unknown, it is generally a good rule of thumb not to buy something based on future possibilities that one considers important.

Even when a company specifically says they plan to do something, sh*t can happen and plans go awry.
Having owned Live for 20 years I can flatly say there is not a chance in hell I would wait on them to implement something. They do their own thing, you are along for the ride, and anything like feature requests can take well over a decade to come. Automation in clips, universal LFO, dual monitor support, full screen piano roll, all of those took over a decade from the time people started asking for them. Any sort of vaporware is just not worth it IMO.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”