Tal J-8

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Gas Giant - TAL J-8 Presets TAL-J-8

marzzz wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:59 pm Been pretty quiet around here. I just got a Soundforce SFC-8 https://sound-force.nl/?page_id=4789 to use with Tal-J-8 and so far it is pretty fun, almost like having an actual Jupiter 8. Now i wish Patrick would implement (poly!?)aftertouch response.
I have the SFC-8 as well, its great.

Shoot TAL a request for native SFC-8 support, just like he did with the TAL Juno60 and the SFC-60.
Then it will update the waveforms and leds etc according to the loaded preset (2 way communication) on preset change. I have the SFC-60 also, very cool and sturdy controllers. Feels very solid.

I did also when I got the SFC-8 last christmas, with more requests it will be more likely to happen.

Cheers.

Septic Underground wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:12 pm Shoot TAL a request for native SFC-8 support, just like he did with the TAL Juno60 and the SFC-60.
Then it will update the waveforms and leds etc according to the loaded preset (2 way communication) on preset change. I have the SFC-60 also, very cool and sturdy controllers. Feels very solid.
I wasn't aware that was possible, thanks! Will send request right away.

Man how did I not know about this SFC-8.. I may have to get one now for both the TAL and Arturia hah.
That 60 looks badass too and I probably use the Uno-LX more often then the JP-8..

I’ll definitely pick up the sound force once TAL supports it. Other Jupiter I have is the Roland Cloud but I doubt that will ever support sound force.
Septic Underground wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:12 pm
marzzz wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:59 pm Been pretty quiet around here. I just got a Soundforce SFC-8 https://sound-force.nl/?page_id=4789 to use with Tal-J-8 and so far it is pretty fun, almost like having an actual Jupiter 8. Now i wish Patrick would implement (poly!?)aftertouch response.
I have the SFC-8 as well, its great.

Shoot TAL a request for native SFC-8 support, just like he did with the TAL Juno60 and the SFC-60.

I did also when I got the SFC-8 last christmas, with more requests it will be more likely to happen.

Cheers.

Septic Underground wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:12 pmShoot TAL a request for native SFC-8 support.
Patrick replied to my request pretty quickly, saying that support for SFC-8 is on the "TODO" list, and he hopes he can add it "in the next few weeks." I am glad he is already aware of it.

I also requested support for aftertouch over MIDI, preferable polyphonic aftertouch.

Just get an old novation remote sl mk1. Perfect controller for tal Jupiter and Juno both.

Is there a way to lock the polyphony count globally, when changing patches?

Not as far as I know alas.....but as always shoot patrick an email to request it.
rsp
sound sculptist

Tried to emulate a latched arpeggiator melody from my JP8, and could not due to a difference in portamento behaviour

On TAL J8 using the arppegiator, and hold mode is on.
The portamento does not stay when you lift off the keys, or after one round, the portamento drops off.
Where as on the JP8 it stays forever

Emailed TAL, so hopeful a new version will fix that

https://soundcloud.com/coolcolj/jupiter-8-arp-melody

came across another bug in the arp, when in up mode, 4 octave range, J8 Arp option, the highest note would get shifted down to the lowest octave.
Reported, but I'm surprised no one has caught this bug since release! :o

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:52 pm Just get an old novation remote sl mk1. Perfect controller for tal Jupiter and Juno both.
I just took a look at used prices for this and the Remote Zero SL mk2. Fk me. That's all I can say about it. Are people absolutely batshit crazy? :dog:

Can't believe that there are people who actually buy at such prices. But, there have to be, otherwise the sellers wouldn't offer at such prices...

This is probably the best Jupiter-8 emulation. Unlike Arturia or Roland Cloud, it's got character, a "soul" of its own.
You actually want to play it!

Yeah, I've got all 3 and this is BY FAR my favorite. The Roland Cloud version sounds small to me and lacks punch (filters feel weak, envelopes not fast or deep enough, OSCs+VCA not saturating). The Arturia is better but still missing something. The TAL J-8 is just a synth where I use it and always get a great sound and understand how "ok, this could've been a classic synth back in the day and I understand how because it just sounds so great!"

Well The Roland and Arturia ones lack the dual mode, kinda crucial for the JP8 experience.
I use it a lot for the big wide sounds with the upper and lower parts panned left/right, with the analog variations making it sound truly stereo.

And their Arpeggiator don't react like the real thing.
The next update of TAL J-8 with the bug fixes should be the closest

I put in a feature request
To be able to select both and upper and lower buttons together when in dual mode to allow me to edit them together
I like to copy a patch to both upper and lower, pan them left/right for wide stereo like in the real JP8, which has natural analog stereo effect
Then it would be nice to be able to select both upper/lower together to edit them from the panel, while playing in real time performance, while jamming

Return to “Instruments”