CLIPPER - which ones can you recommend?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

de la mancha clipstar

Stillwell -Event Horizon
...also an exxelent limiter

Raddler1 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:26 pm The clipper on plugin alliance's alpha compressor.
Yes, it is good but also being really careful with it, flashing max 1 light usually..
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

aberration123 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:41 pm Free ones that stand up to most...One Corner Clip.
This.

INSANELY good, effortless and at reasonable values (and even at less-than-reasonable values) - STEALTHY (yes, as much as it can be counter-intuitive with regards to clipping). Chris said he "really didn't design it for 2-buss tasks" but it can act as such, very comfortably.

OCC+NFA Elev8 Limiter are like the Jokić+Murray of the Limiting world (tho, coming to think about it - it's like 2stage clipping+1 limiting stage... but still).
maybe change the Denver franchise name from "Nuggets" to "Clippers" ? (instead of Los-Angeles Clippers...) :D

I am using ClipMax. Don't know dev. Simple GUI, easy CPU. Does a great job.

eytanmich123 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:38 am
aberration123 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:41 pm Free ones that stand up to most...One Corner Clip.
This.

INSANELY good, effortless and at reasonable values (and even at less-than-reasonable values) - STEALTHY (yes, as much as it can be counter-intuitive with regards to clipping). Chris said he "really didn't design it for 2-buss tasks" but it can act as such, very comfortably.

OCC+NFA Elev8 Limiter are like the Jokić+Murray of the Limiting world (tho, coming to think about it - it's like 2stage clipping+1 limiting stage... but still).
maybe change the Denver franchise name from "Nuggets" to "Clippers" ? (instead of Los-Angeles Clippers...) :D
one is newfangled elevate but I'm curious about what is occ?

One corner clip, I presume.
member of the guild of professional dilettantes.

Clippers are all basically the same. I use the free GClip and the clipper in Sender Spike's SNO5-G Brickwall Limiter (massively underrated plugins that I use everyday in my pro work).
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

They just released that $200 (intro) gold clipper. Its a nice clipper at least. I like it,
dunno that ill actually buy it, but i do like
it.

https://www.schwabedigital.com/

Yeah it's been said a few times before ; clippers all sound the same. Pretty much all of them actually null with each other when the same oversampling settings and values are used.

I have a few clippers, but mostly use Standardclip. It's lightweight, has plenty of options, very deep oversampling options, good visual feedback, and is simply reliable.

It's no use spending 100 or 200 bucks on a clipper, as it will sound identical to cheaper ones or freebies. But take care with free ones that have no oversampling ; they will cause dc offset and aliasing, as that's inherent to the process of clipping.

If you want more control over the sound when clipping, there's a few tricks that are far more important than the choice of clipper itself :
- use an eq before the clipper ; to subtly control which frequencies are touched by the clipper more. Most 'emulations' do this inside the plugin, making ppl hear 'magical' things.
- use a transient tool or expander before the clipper ; gives more control over the effect that a clipper has on your sound. Some clippers are based on this technique.

But anyway, clipping itself is a simple mathematical thing and unlike compressors, eq's or other fx, has no 'sound' or 'magic' going on. But devs will go to great length to make you believe otherwise. And consequently many users will fall for the marketing bs and actually go on forums defending their choice, despite many blindtests and null-tests proving otherwise.
More BPM please

MattLeschuck wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:37 am Toneboosters Barricade for clipping and limiting. Really all I need / use these days for both duties.
How do you clip it? I thought it's just a limiter.

Now I'm interested too.
So which one do you prefer more, Kazrog Kclip (paid) or Standard Clip? Also how good is IK multimedia Classic Clipper? I heard it brings the lows up, which is not good imo.
Last edited by Igro on Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I just bought Sky Clipper from Signum Audio as it was on sale for fairly cheap. Excellent clipper if you dont mind the latency.

The new clipper from Yum audio is also very nice, but i probably wont buy that without a decent sale. Only because im too cheap.

Igro wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:17 pm
MattLeschuck wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:37 am Toneboosters Barricade for clipping and limiting. Really all I need / use these days for both duties.
How do you clip it? I thought it's just a limiter.

I was using TDR clipper, but Kazrog KClip free one blew it out of the water.

Now I'm interested too.
So which one do you prefer more, Kazrog Kclip (paid) or Standard Clip? Also how good is IK multimedia Classic Clipper? I heard it brings the lows up, which is not good imo.
Barricade has clipping, compression and limiting. You can see the threshold for clipping in the picture on the left. And you can see at the bottom there is a drop down menu to set hard clip, soft clip, and many others.
Clipper.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

https://github.com/vvvar/PeakEater
Peakeater's worth a look too...

MattLeschuck wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:24 pm
Barricade has clipping, compression and limiting. You can see the threshold for clipping in the picture on the left. And you can see at the bottom there is a drop down menu to set hard clip, soft clip, and many others.

Clipper.png
Thanks, i missed the hard clip option on it. In fact, i'm not looking at the soft clipping at all.
Lets see how this compares to others. I don't believe that Barriacade has extreme oversampling options (it doesn't have that choice at all)

Return to “Effects”