FXpansion’s BFD Acquired by inMusic

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BFD 3 BFD Eco

DocAtlas wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:16 am What is this 90 day license thing I've seen mentioned? Is it simply a case where the program has to call in every 90 days? It doesn't seem to make sense that you would have to pay for a limited time license, and then have no access to the product.
Yes it calls in and checks/re-auths or something I guess. As I said before, I haven't seen hide nor hair of the process, it's a non event really, unless you want to make it one.
Last edited by jinotsuh on Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Say NO to CLAP!

Mr Arkadin wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:04 am Well that's nice for you. Not everyone's experience was like that, mine included.

So for me the issue was both technical and also the principle.

I don't like subscription models which is why I'll never bother with Roland Cloud etc. It seems doubly insulting to use a subscription model when I've paid for a perpetual licence.

Then factor in that your software might just refuse to launch after 90 days as mine and many others did and thats a no-go for me. Plus I'm not a fan of data harvesting.

Having experience inMusic's reaction personally (I wrote many times and had to threaten them with the data protection act before they would respond) I realise what type of company they are and how they will treat this product in the future and that they will not move on the 90-day nonsense
Do I know you from the BFD Drums forum? You are not going to start a class action against inMusic/BFD are you? :hihi:

I thought you said you sold all your BFD stuff? Why the concern?
Mr Arkadin wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:09 pm They won't. A pity you gave them any money, they don't deserve it.

Oh, and BFD4 will be 2025, maybe 2024 Q4 if you're lucky. You can figure it out from what Drew has said on the BFD forum when I was still on there (sold all my BFD stuff now).
Say NO to CLAP!

jinotsuh wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:34 am Do I know you from the BFD Drums forum? You are not going to start a class action against inMusic/BFD are you? :hihi:
That was another unhappy user.
jinotsuh wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:34 am I thought you said you sold all your BFD stuff? Why the concern?
I don't want people wasting their money on shonky companies like inMusic. I'm also concerned that the 90 day nonsense isn't mentioned on the website requirements when you buy it, which is dishonest and people need to know this info before buying.

I paid fifty bucks for BFD3 and it came with an extra free library of your choosing.

Authorisation is a PITA and it's a little clunky but it's still worth every cent I spent on it.

Mr Arkadin wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:15 am
jinotsuh wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:34 am Do I know you from the BFD Drums forum? You are not going to start a class action against inMusic/BFD are you? :hihi:
That was another unhappy user.
jinotsuh wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:34 am I thought you said you sold all your BFD stuff? Why the concern?
I don't want people wasting their money on shonky companies like inMusic. I'm also concerned that the 90 day nonsense isn't mentioned on the website requirements when you buy it, which is dishonest and people need to know this info before buying.
:D :lol: :hihi: :clap:

Yeah, you're that dude from the BFD Forum that wanted to get a Class Action going :lol: same MO, same old story, same shit different day, or is that forum :hihi:
You're doing the same thing here as you done on the BFD Forum, stirring shit up, you mustn't have anything better to do :hihi:

All be ware, this dude is nothing but a shit stirrer, he done it on the BFD Forum under one of his alias's, until they banned his ass :hihi:

I'm out, you have your childish fun and play your childish games. I've got better things to do, over and out.
Say NO to CLAP!

Maybe you should check your facts before trying to libel me. I never said I was going to start a class action, I never used another name except the same one as here and I was never banned. I think you're confusing me with meambobo or whatever his name was. As far as I know all my posts are still up there for anyone to read.

All I'm trying to do is to make sure people are informed before purchasing. If the 90 day thing doesn't bother them, then great.

Imagine buying some software that required iLok and it not being mentioned until after you bought and downloaded the software. There'd be a shitstorm.

InMusic just need to be upfront on their webpage about the system requirements. I'm not sure why you're against the idea of selling a product with honesty, unless you're some shill.

Mr Arkadin wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:02 am All I'm trying to do is to make sure people are informed before purchasing. If the 90 day thing doesn't bother them, then great.
I didn't know about that. Thanks for the info. I actually don't mind too much since I'm used to that type of thing from Roland Cloud.

If a person is able to connect to the internet at least once every 90 days to talk shit yet again about a plugin company, surely that person is also capable of connecting to the internet once every 90 days to authorize their plugin. That's a two bird with one stone kinda deal.

This is typed on a phone. In any case I still don't see why I have to reauthorise a perpetual licence ever.

Also, I'm not sure how explaining a company's policy to possible customers when the company won't do ot themselves is shit talking. I'm actually doing what they should be doing: being honest about the product.

funky lime wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:12 pm If a person is able to connect to the internet at least once every 90 days to talk shit yet again about a plugin company, surely that person is also capable of connecting to the internet once every 90 days to authorize their plugin. That's a two bird with one stone kinda deal.
Some people have a workstation dedicated to shit talking, with an Internet connection, and one to make music, without Internet and other distractions.... :)

- Mario

I get the frustration: it's annoying when licensing changes after you bought a product. It used to be a one-time activation per PC, back in the FXPansion days, and now it's a constant phoning home. And it's not the greatest or most transparent implementation of phoning home (it should just happen automatically and quietly in the background IMO).

But it's not the end of the world either. Not to me anyway. Others apparently feel differently.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:05 pm But it's not the end of the world either. Not to me anyway. Others apparently feel differently.
Right. Checking in once every three months is definitely "doable" for me, though I do get that this is entirely subjective. Putting up with the 3 month checking in is fine especially when seen in the context of the option of having to go without the amazing sound quality of the BFD Drums and their expansions. Maybe it's my jazz orientation, but I've haven't heard anything that comes close to most of the expansions.

It might be nice if BFD were more upfront with this requirement, but I don't know that it's a particularly big deal for most as it's in kind of line with what many companies do currently, and far less intrusive than, say, iLok (which I don't mind either, BTW.)

FWIW.
“Madness, as you know, is like gravity: all it takes is a little push.”

I don't know who needs to hear this but BFD3 is currently featured on the KvR Marketplace at a whopping 0% discount!

https://www.kvraudio.com/marketplace/bfd-3-by-bfd-drums
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

pough wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:11 am I don't know who needs to hear this but BFD3 is currently featured on the KvR Marketplace at a whopping 0% discount!

Unbelievable! It's only $99 down from $99. No brainer. Thanks for the heads up.

plexuss wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:42 am
pough wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:11 am I don't know who needs to hear this but BFD3 is currently featured on the KvR Marketplace at a whopping 0% discount!

Unbelievable! It's only $99 down from $99. No brainer. Thanks for the heads up.
Is it too expesive in your opinion? - I think that’s what counts. Not some printing errors.

Return to “Instruments”