Phaser pedals

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a MXR Script Orange Phaser which of course is a classic.

However, I am a little frustrated that it kills some high end immediately and that there is no depth / mix knob.

What are folks' favorite Phasers that have a little more control?

LiberaToe's Pascal. It's a dual channel (so that you can set two different phasers). The toggle switch allows you to set regular, deep, and even use it for vibe and tremolo. Very versatile and under $200... analog.

Sometimes it helps using a clean boost pedal after to compensate for loss of tone.
- increase treble a bit

Mooer Pure Boost or TC Electronics Spark works well.
- between $30 to $50 or so

My favorite old school phaser was the Maestro.
Any device that has a "Balls" control is a great thing.
All the control I ever needed in a phaser.

For a modern phaser make sure you have true-bypass, that might help with your high end issues. Vintage stuff will generally suck tone.

I'm a big fan of the EH Stereo PolyPhase and Maxon Phaser (the one in the blue enclosure), though it's almost more uni-vibey than phase.

I've got a whole ass-whisket of 'em. Big fan of the effect. The MXR's are not real high on my list. I've had all three...the 45, the 90 and the 100. I like the 100 the best of three as it offers more control....but none of 'em are really "swooshy" enough for my taste. I've got an original Roland AP-2 & AP-7 Jetet Phaser, which adds distortion to the AP-2 Phaser circuit.....Ernie Isley used that one for the lead on "Who's That Lady" and Larry Graham used one with Sly and The Family Stone......love 'em both. The first two of the new compact Boss phasers were good....the PH-1 and the PH-1R, (preferable as it ads a third control) and still analog.....the PH-2 went digital and just blows IMHO. The PH-3 is a bit more worthwhile as it does some tricks that a normal phaser can't....but it's still a bit cold and digital sounding. The original Ross phaser was great and has now been re-issued by JHS. And yeah some of the Ibanez/Maxon phasers were pretty good too. Let's not forget the EHX Small Stone....it's a classic. I also have an Akai P-1 Intelliphase which is cool because it's touch sensitive and it's got a great swish....but their later line of pedals, including the phaser, are pure shiite IMHO as they are simply re-branded Chinese Bi-Yang pedals.

But I digress......LOL!!

Cheers......CL :clown:
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

Back when I used individual pedals (prior to The Helix Era..) the Quasar DLX was the only phaser I ever needed. Pretty great.

Thanks everyone! I have some new options to try out.

Check out the Phase 100, it adds a depth control. Walrus Audio also makes a great one

Return to “Guitars”