How many synths do you need?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

stoopicus wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:04 am
Jac459 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:07 am
zerocrossing wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:09 am
mharrybrewery wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:51 am
Jac459 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:33 am
stoopicus wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:12 pm I do of course have Vital. Everyone should.

I'll stick with Phase Plant. And that's not putting Vital down in any way, Vital is awesome.
Phase plant is the king...

Almost uncompromising power with ease of use and very decent UI. Awesome support from kiloheartz, Rich and revolving ecosystem....
Is Phase Plant enough of a modular ecosystem to compete with something with something like VCV? It certainly looks like it can be similar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv9dyOaSGJM but the interface seems less intuitive for that kind of application, for my experience level anyway.
No. The thing about VCV is that you can put anything anywhere, modulate anything with anything. As flexible as Phase Plant is, it’s fairly limited in where you can put things compared to a modular. Plus, you have VCV’s wide variety of types of modules written by a wide variety of developers. Phase Plant, you have one “analog” oscillator, one sampler module, etc, and that’s that.
Agreed for the variety of systems/modules, but in terms of modulations I don't remember playing with a modular and thinking "you can't do that in phase plant" a part for polyphonic stuffs, what do you have in mind?
Maybe in terms of audio rate modulations?

Then i would point you to bitwig where your can polyphonicly audiorate modulate everything with everything.
yeah. I think this is one where in the literal sense, yes, VCV will technically allow a wider variety of modulation sources/sinks; but in a practical sense, Phase Plant is so flexible here that the missing combos will be rarely things you would usually use. You can get pretty extreme with modulation and routing in Phase Plant. And you can do audio rate modulations in Phase Plant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ3GiwoQGAI
Don’t be blind to what other people might do just because you’ve chosen to ignore the possibilities of what a modular can do. In a practical sense, it’s close minded.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:04 pm
Jac459 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:33 am

Phase plant is the king...

Almost uncompromising power with ease of use and very decent UI. Awesome support from kiloheartz, Rich and revolving ecosystem....
Is Phase Plant enough of a modular ecosystem to compete with something with something like VCV? It certainly looks like it can be similar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv9dyOaSGJM but the interface seems less intuitive for that kind of application, for my experience level anyway.
No. The thing about VCV is that you can put anything anywhere, modulate anything with anything. As flexible as Phase Plant is, it’s fairly limited in where you can put things compared to a modular. Plus, you have VCV’s wide variety of types of modules written by a wide variety of developers. Phase Plant, you have one “analog” oscillator, one sampler module, etc, and that’s that.
Agreed for the variety of systems/modules, but in terms of modulations I don't remember playing with a modular and thinking "you can't do that in phase plant" a part for polyphonic stuffs, what do you have in mind?

Then i would point you to bitwig where your can polyphonicly audiorate modulate everything with everything.
yeah. I think this is one where in the literal sense, yes, VCV will technically allow a wider variety of modulation sources/sinks; but in a practical sense, Phase Plant is so flexible here that the missing combos will be rarely things you would usually use. You can get pretty extreme with modulation and routing in Phase Plant. And you can do audio rate modulations in Phase Plant.

Don’t be blind to what other people might do just because you’ve chosen to ignore the possibilities of what a modular can do. In a practical sense, it’s close minded.
I don't get you here, we are having a conversation about the possibilities and fun stuffs that we can do with a VCV and your intervention is... "you chose to ignore to possilibilites"...

huuu, not exactly, we are actually discussing about the possibilities... And feel free to share, I am always happy to learn more.

If you feel that saying that Phase Plant has some of the cool features of a VCV is wrong, then the problem is yours my friend...

if there is no random button, remove it
aliasing plugin owner
:?

zerocrossing wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:04 pm Don’t be blind to what other people might do just because you’ve chosen to ignore the possibilities of what a modular can do. In a practical sense, it’s close minded.
Dude. I literally just said VCV can do more. Are you having a reading comprehension problem with "practical" vs "possible" or something? I'll stand by the practicality of Phase plant here, while acknowledging that yes, there are in fact more modulation source/sink combos available with pure modular, for those that want to go nuts with the possibilities.

But the fact of the matter is, Phase Plant is really quite flexible here, regardless of whether or not you want to acknowledge it.

Screenshot (1282).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aliasing plugin owner

Just one: Reaktor. Some assembly required.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

zerocrossing wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:01 pm I could go on and on, but that’s basically what I’m talking about. Phase Plant is very flexible, but it shouldn’t be confused with a true modular style plugin.
And nobody does it my friend.

If I were to compare, actually I would more think about the RRP (reason rack plug in) you have so may components that you can interconnect in different ways with the combinator technology.. but again here it isn't exactly the same ....

Jac459 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:12 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:04 pm

I don't get you here, we are having a conversation about the possibilities and fun stuffs that we can do with a VCV and your intervention is... "you chose to ignore to possilibilites"...

huuu, not exactly, we are actually discussing about the possibilities... And feel free to share, I am always happy to learn more.

If you feel that saying that Phase Plant has some of the cool features of a VCV is wrong, then the problem is yours my friend...
Did you read your own post?
Phase Plant is so flexible here that the missing combos will be rarely things you would usually use. You can get pretty extreme with modulation and routing in Phase Plant. And you can do audio rate modulations in Phase Plant.
Don’t gaslight me, dude. Yeah, Phase Plant is cool, but the question was if it could basically replace something like VCV, which is a hard no.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:53 am Did you read your own post?
Phase Plant is so flexible here that the missing combos will be rarely things you would usually use. You can get pretty extreme with modulation and routing in Phase Plant. And you can do audio rate modulations in Phase Plant.
Don’t gaslight me, dude. Yeah, Phase Plant is cool, but the question was if it could basically replace something like VCV, which is a hard no.
1. That was my post, not his.
2. No one is gaslighting you, except maybe yourself.

now calm down, take a deep breath...

stoopicus wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:09 am
zerocrossing wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:53 am Did you read your own post?
1. That was my post, not his.
2. No one is gaslighting you, except maybe yourself.

now calm down, take a deep breath...
I’m so calm.
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:18 am
I’m so calm.
There is zero crossing the line here :party:

zerocrossing wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:18 am I’m so calm.
Very good :D

So now you can see above, no one is really disagreeing that you can do more with a modular eurorack sim like VCV, right?

All I was trying to say is that for most situations that come up frequently, Phase Plant will have you covered.

That's all. No one is slamming modulars in general or VCV in particular here.

stoopicus wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:35 am

So now you can see above, no one is really disagreeing that you can do more with a modular eurorack sim like VCV, right?

All I was trying to say is that for most situations that come up frequently, Phase Plant will have you covered.

Fully agree....
....That being said .... :D

From a very very very personal standpoint (dont get triggered), I am not a fan of full modularity for inspiration. I find the possibilities overwhelming. Sometimes I find having a bit of boundaries help inspiration because it forces you to work differently and give some guidelines.
I have this problem in the bitwig Grid,, each time I am making a decision I think about the 723,456 other possibilites and I wonder if I took the best lol.

Analysis paralysis is a thing for sure, not just with Modulars :)

stoopicus wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:35 am

I’m just saying that your “most” isn’t everyone’s. I’m probably in VCV and other modular plugins more than I’m in Phase Plant. I’m not saying that Phase Plant isn’t more popular in general, but it does have a bunch of limitations that make it less useful to me than it could be.
Zerocrossing Media

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”