[SOLVED] Arturia Minifuse 4 / M-Audio Audiophile - Buffer size and latency

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello everybody.

I need to replace my old pci slot soundcard, because newer mainboards don't have pci slots anymore. As slot soundcards aren't very common at the moment, I ordered an Arturia Minifuse class compliant usb interface, which works fine with my computer as far as I tested it.

So I came across the buffer size settings in my DAW (Bitwig) and it seems that for a given buffer size the audio latency is different. The automatic Bitwig settings are samplerate 48 khz and 1024 samples buffer size.

For the M-Audio card this results in an audio latency of 1024 samples, but for the Arturia usb sound card it results in an audio latency of 1536 samples. How can this offset of more than 500 samples occur? In my opinion it should be 1024 samples like in the M-Audio device not 1536 samples. So I would need a smaller buffer size to achieve the same audio offset?

I didn't find any explanation in the Arturias manual but somehow it doesn't seems logical to me that when using 1024 sample I get an offset of 1536.

Here I made a picture of it:

M-Audio Audiophile 192 PCI
m-audio.jpg
Arturia Minifuse 4 USB
arturia.jpg
Thank you very much for your help
hihu
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by hihu on Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I don't know.
But i don't recommend Minifuse. Atlease not Minifuse 2. There was sound out on the speakers and headphones even when master volume and headphone gain was set to zero from sites like for example youtube! Maybe same on Minifuse 4?

Check it out.

Hello BrokenTrance, thank you very much for your reply.

I cannot confirm this issue you mentioned. When I turn down the volume on my minifuse to zero, no sound is hearable.

I was able to get better insight into my problem myself. It has somehow to do with the new pipewire sound server, when using direct jack or alsa connection, the sample offset is the same for both cards.

The Arturia support confirmed, that this also happens on MacOSX Computers, but I cannot test it, as I don't have a Mac. After setting it to Jack or Alsa, both cards have the same latency and the projekt inside Bitwig plays fine. However the overall latency is a little bit higher on the arturia, but I think this has to do with its USB interface, which is slower than direct pci access.
When you go for the best possible latency than a pci card is better I think. But for my usecase its fine.

Thank You very much for you patience
hihu

For lower Windows DPC(Deferred Procedure Call) and better USB/LAN overall
we can do some tweaks.
https://vi-control.net/community/thread ... us.139234/
https://vi-control.net/community/thread ... 234/page-2

For lower RTL(Round Trip Latency) we can use lower ASIO buffer
or higher sampling rate or buy a better audio interface.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”