No MIDI... occasionally (Mac Studio / MOTU M4)

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

oh, that's awesome to hear.

Well, I have to say that this update is no better... it may even be worse. If I leave my Mac for any extended period of time, I get no MIDI when returning. I have to power off/on the MOTU to get MIDI to work again.

lightsfadelow wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:39 am Well, I have to say that this update is no better... it may even be worse. If I leave my Mac for any extended period of time, I get no MIDI when returning. I have to power off/on the MOTU to get MIDI to work again.
Really? I’ve had quite the opposite experience. After I installed the update, MIDI input ceased to randomly disconnect no matter how long the machine is on.
On a number of Macs

Weasel-Boy wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:27 am
lightsfadelow wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:39 am Well, I have to say that this update is no better... it may even be worse. If I leave my Mac for any extended period of time, I get no MIDI when returning. I have to power off/on the MOTU to get MIDI to work again.
Really? I’ve had quite the opposite experience. After I installed the update, MIDI input ceased to randomly disconnect no matter how long the machine is on.
Damn... I guess we have different manifestations of the bug and mine isn't fixed.

lightsfadelow wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:56 pm
Damn... I guess we have different manifestations of the bug and mine isn't fixed.
Hmm...I've always suspected this is a sleep issue. My M1 is always attached to the power adapter. In System Settings, the top two Battery Preferences are set to "Automatic" and the two choices in Options are "Only on Power Adapter". This help any?
On a number of Macs

The M1 Mac I'm seeing this issue on is my Mac Studio Ultra. No battery at all. But it does appear to be a sleep issue.

lightsfadelow wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:56 pm Damn... I guess we have different manifestations of the bug and mine isn't fixed.
I know this is some weeks later, but I should've been more thorough in my answer. I experienced the "no MIDI'" issue prior to the last MOTU driver update. I have not had disappearing MIDI input since updating. Considering the amount of time that has lapsed since the update, I'd say this was a reasonable burn in test of the driver.

Check this page against your current settings:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-hel ... 1a6ccd/mac
On a number of Macs

I am having the exact same issue and Motu is aware.... They suggested a new USB cable etc.... Which is not the issue because I have used several USB cables. The issue is the Motu M2.
I have updated the firmware as well as the software and I will say now the M2 is slower to load the driver and I get no Midi messages upon starting the computer and waiting for the m2 driver to kick in so that the M2 is available in audio options. sometimes it takes a minute to load now. This update is far worse for me.

Dallon426 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:26 am ….waiting for the m2 driver to kick in so that the M2 is available in audio options. sometimes it takes a minute to load now.

This has been an issue since day one. After booting the M1, followed by flipping the MOTU M2 on, it can take up to 30 seconds before the macOS recognizes the device. The latest MOTU updates do not seem to address this particular issue.

However, once the M2 is recognized, the dropped MIDI input issue seems to have abated. At least it does on my rig. For the record, my M2 is plugged into an OWC dock that feeds the M1.

I’m beginning to suspect that the slow initialization of the MOTU unit may not entirely be a MOTU issue, but might be caused by how the macOS scans for connected audio I/O devices. I say this because the MOTU initialization times can widely vary from immediate to 30 or so seconds…depending on when the MOTU unit is powered up before, during, or after the Mac is booted.
On a number of Macs

lightsfadelow wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:24 am Has anyone else experienced an issue where you have no MIDI whatsoever on your Mac requiring a system shut down / restart?

Here's how I experience this problem:
I'll boot up my Mac with a bus-powered MOTU M4. I'll launch any app that takes a MIDI input, such as Logic or any standalone MIDI instrument such as the Arturia Analog Lab V or Spectrasonics Omnisphere apps and attempt to play something via my MIDI-connected keyboard (mine is a classic Yamaha EX5).

The Mac sees the M4 as a MIDI interface. Audio in/out via the M4 works. But MIDI doesn't.

I know the problem is not the Yamaha, because shutting down the Mac (which powers off the M4) and booting again often fixes the problem without powering off the Yamaha.

I've experienced this problem with every version of MacOS since the Mac Studio first shipped.

If anyone has experienced this, please let me know that I'm not alone ... better if you have a fix that doesn't involve a reboot!
Yup….my akai mpkmini midi out (normally pads are midi 1 while keys are midi 2) was ignored by vps avenger, waldorf nave, bob rapen blade 2, air tech and a few more plugins cause they did not see midi 2 yet once i shut off rosetta mode in logic 10.7.7 everything worked, all modi channels in!

Lucky me that logic 10.7.7 runs both native m1-m2 and rosetta with a wrapper (not rapper)

MOTU posted an update to the M2, 4 and 6 drivers: MOTU MSeries Installer (93305)

https://motu.com/en-us/download/#category=1&product=408
On a number of Macs

I'm also having this issue with an Ultralite Mk5. I've spoken to Motu support who have been receptive, but I feel they've hit a dead end, as the latest driver and firmware hasn't changed anything.

Tonight after rebooting with a Kurzweil attached instead of my usual Yamaha, I had a brainwave.
The difference is Active-Sensing messages, which the Yamaha sends out but the Kurzweil does not. Could it be that the Motu unit (or even the Mac) is interpreting the active-sensing messages as some kind of threat? A flow of current that it's not expecting? Could be some sort of safety feature to protect the unit.

The question is: Are you all using keyboards that feature active sensing? You can check by downloading an app like MIDI View or MIDI Monitor. See whether there's a stream of data filling the screen without you pressing any keys.

MOTU released a new firmware driver Mac v2023.9 installer on Sept. 18, 2023 for the M2 (and M4 & 6).

Don't forget to turn on the M2 (or 4 or 6) holding down the MON 2 button before running the installer.
On a number of Macs

The "disappearing MIDI" problem is back after upgrading to Sonoma 14.1.2. I've had to do a quick power-off/power-on about 6 times today as I jumped between Logic 10.8.1, Cubase 12 & 13 and a couple stand alone synths (HALion 7, Kontakt 6 and Pianoteq 8). Whatever Apple did really broke MOTU's driver.
On a number of Macs

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”