UA Volt2 first impressions

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Around September 2018 I bought a new music PC along with a new audio interface, a Zoom UAC-2. Up until this week, I'd had no problems at all with it. I don't know whether the overnight low temperature caused it some damage (it stayed above 13C, I think...) but suddenly the input gain pots went wild and I couldn't cut the levels: my mic just kept distorting. (Even the software couldn't control it.)

So I decided to get another interface and, pressed for time - and space to put it - wanting a simiarly spec (2 Audio Ins/Outs + headphones, 2 MIDI Ins/Outs, USB interface) I went for the UA Volt2.

Here are my first impressions.

A major downvote for requiring PACE iLok just for the ASIO driver! I installed the installer, got no offer of whether or not I wanted PACE iLok, installed the driver and nothing else. Tested the set up and everything was good. So I thought, "Well, I don't want any of the applications or plugins, so why do I need PACE iLok?" and uninstalled it. Oh no you don't. Suddenly my latency went through the roof! So I reinstalled.

A second downvote for the "on startup" UA Control Center software - I think it's a bit of a memory hog. I had to unload a whole lot of samples to make my drumming set up useable. I've now tried turning it off in the Windows "on startup" controls and I'll see if that causes problems. If not, I'll try bringing some more samples in.

The sound also feels "thinner" compared to the Zoom UAC2. I've not done any technical investigation and it could just be about adjusting the volume a bit better, perhaps, but it seems bass-light.

The mic connector allowed a more easy connection of the RODE adaptor I'm using for my ModMic, which is a plus point. The phantom power button is "virtual" though - and it forgets it's meant to be on if power is lost. That confused me a bit as I can't see the front panel where it's sited.

It's working "well enough", though, to keep - but I'll probably be looking elsewhere for my next replacement.

Thanks for the warnings.

I personally love mine, havent noticed any issues with the memory. However, I do agree the driver being hidden behind a wall is v annoying, had to reconfigure when I was downloading rocksmith. After that its been smooth sailing, and im considering upgrading to a volt 4 or a 476.

I spent a while yesterday on getting the levels adjusted and I think that's all it was with the "thinner" sound: I was pushing the internal output gain too high and having to turn down the levels being fed out. Rebalancing things made it sound a lot better.

There's still "something" making even YouTube streaming less smooth than before, though. I've not seen anything on WhySoSlow kicking out high numbers and nothing obvious on Task Manager, so I'm a little perplexed there.

Turning off US Control Center didn't cause problems but until I get things smooth again, I'll not push the memory issue.

pljones wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:17 pm A major downvote for requiring PACE iLok just for the ASIO driver! I installed the installer, got no offer of whether or not I wanted PACE iLok, installed the driver and nothing else. Tested the set up and everything was good. So I thought, "Well, I don't want any of the applications or plugins, so why do I need PACE iLok?" and uninstalled it. Oh no you don't. Suddenly my latency went through the roof! So I reinstalled.
If true, that's one of the most f***ed up things I ever heard regarding audio stuff. :o

(I was also contemplating a Volt 4 because of the multiple outputs, but in the end I went with Audient.)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”