Can you use the voltage processor on a 2600 to change clock Voltage?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The Behringer 2600 voltage processor isn't an area I know well. I am tying to use it to change a +5v clock out to a +7v clock for Soma Enner.
Using a 2600 to sync drum machines has been done since 1981...
https://youtu.be/a2IK70aUpgA?si=a2GBlqEb2ivBb6IQ

No one?
This is why I don't buy eurorack! CV is a black art that no one really understands and that has no standards of use.

Constructed Identity wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:57 am No one?
Only me then... I only had an ARP Axxe some decades ago, so thought others more knowledgeable would answer.
Constructed Identity wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:57 am This is why I don't buy eurorack! CV is a black art that no one really understands and that has no standards of use.
But there is an industry standard, and it's called TTL.
wikipedia wrote:Standard TTL circuits operate with a 5-volt power supply. A TTL input signal is defined as "low" when between 0 V and 0.8 V with respect to the ground terminal, and "high" when between 2 V and VCC (5 V)
So I have my doubts whether for a clock pulse it really matters whether it pulses at +5 V or +7 V or even as low as +2.5V.

I guess you can just try it without such an amplification stage. It won't blow up.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:25 am
Constructed Identity wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:57 am No one?
Only me then... I only had an ARP Axxe some decades ago, so thought others more knowledgeable would answer.
Constructed Identity wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:57 am This is why I don't buy eurorack! CV is a black art that no one really understands and that has no standards of use.
But there is an industry standard, and it's called TTL.
wikipedia wrote:Standard TTL circuits operate with a 5-volt power supply. A TTL input signal is defined as "low" when between 0 V and 0.8 V with respect to the ground terminal, and "high" when between 2 V and VCC (5 V)
So I have my doubts whether for a clock pulse it really matters whether it pulses at +5 V or +7 V or even as low as +2.5V.

I guess you can just try it without such an amplification stage. It won't blow up.
The specific reason I want to change a +5v timing to a +7v is to sync my Erica Synths LXR-02 to my SOMA labs Enner (Ver,2). I have been using the two together because I can use the Enner's delay on a channel of LXR's outs and if I can sync them I can also use the Enner's glitch-y rhythm section pads on the left side.
I might just email SOMA, they wanted to see their stuff used with other equipment anyway.

Oh, and the PRO 3 has a "CV offset" that can change voltages but I am not sure I can use that for external gear.

How come you're so sure you really need a +7V trigger? Because that's really odd.
I've tried locating the owners manual of "Erica Synths LXR-02" (that's on the receiving side of the trigger, right? ) but no luck.

If you're not sure, just try it!

It's not likely you blow up something or get permanently damaged by feeding a random CV from somewhere else, as long as the voltage is within a reasonable range. Manufacturers don't want tech support headaches because customers accidentally put +6V instead of +5V into an input socket. That would be bad engineering anyway.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I don't know about the B2600 but the voltage processors on the ARP 2600 only attenuate and without self patching, they also invert. You can use feedback to get some gain beyond unity, as they are buffered. I typically use the preamp to boost signals but like BertKoor, I'm skeptical that the the clock signal actually needs boosting. Most modern devices use comparators at clock inputs (so you don't need a fast rising edge) and have them set to trigger with relatively low voltage.

I just tried clocking my Pulsar-23 from my ARP 2600's clock out and was able to do that without any trouble but that doesn't help you. I don't have an Enner or an LXR-2.

Sure you could also use your Pro-3 as a CV processor via the modulation matrix but I this is the kind of thing where I would break out my oscillscope, to understand what the clock signal looks like, what voltages and such.
There could be an impedance mismatch or something like that, in which case the clock out may just need to be run through a buffer. Hard to say for sure.

The Pro 3 manual says that an offset of 64 will change the voltage by 1.5. It is to tune to various eurorack components with different voltage tuning. It doesn't say anything about changing an input voltage though.
It's not that important, the rhythm part of the Enner is just an experimental add-on. I tested it the first day I got it and found out it wouldn't sync with a standard clock out, probably looking for a pulse from a square osc.
Can't even link to the manual here, their site is down. :scared:

This is quite interesting:
https://youtu.be/n3mOCp1pgNo?si=owU7uaON3jCda41W
It seems some items on the B2600 don't work as expected, but there are hacks...
I had previously found out about the CV not working for note ON, nice to see confirmation and a workaround. I will definitely use the chaos hack as well.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”