Most-tolerated Genre?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Introspective wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:59 amThat is a rather strange litmus test for "attitude," sir.
When you think about it, it's the perfect test. Compare it to Oddball's choice of the Mike Curb Congregation in Kelly's Heroes, done perfectly for comic effect. i.e. Laughable.
donkey tugger wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:06 pmYes, but have you ever seen Shania Twain play a gig atop Everest? Beyonce on the slopes of K2?
Sorry, that's a little obscure for me. Something about manhood, perhaps? Sorry, I'm not Bear Grills, I see nothing inherently manly in climbing mountains. It's the kind of thing I mostly associate with weak minds and insecurity - people who feel they have to prove themselves to the world. Pitiable creatures, in the main.
Constructed Identity wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:57 pmNo, music has always been diverse, I (we?) was just not able to hear most types because they didn't play it on the radio and that was my only source to hear music as a kid.
That's infinitely worse now because it's all buried under an avalanche of krap that most of us have absolutely no hope of sifting through.
Growing up there really was just 'radio music' and I was not very interested in hearing most of it, genres only exist for me now because of the Internet and access to everyone's music.
It is probably impossible to express the change to you kids who grew up with access to the Internet.
I don't miss the old days, but I still feel we've lost something in our obsession with categorizing everything.
I imagine it depends how old you are because there was definitely a period in the late 70s and early 80s where you heard a lot of different music on the radio. A lot of it even charted. Could you imagine the chances of something like Laurie Anderson's O Superman getting enough airplay to make the charts today? So much of the music of that era that I still listen to today came from the radio - Alien Sex Fiend, Bauhaus, Clan of Xymox and The Sisters of Mercy are all bands I first heard on the radio. If you were in the UK, you were even luckier because you had John Peel to play you all the latest out-there stuff.

TV was once equally useful, in that there were half-a-dozen weekly music shows, half of which were willing to play almost anything. One of the most commercial of all of them turned me on to Killing Joke, by reviewing their debut album and playing a few snippets between the likes of Hall & Oates and Olivia Newton-John (in her early Country phase).

The thing with the internet is that it has, until relatively recently, mostly required you to know what you're looking for. The first useful recommendation algorithm I came across was Zune's, maybe 15 years ago. Before that it was very hard to find new music worth listening to but Zune's amazing ecosystem put me onto quite a few bands, new and old, I doubt I'd have discovered any other way. Since Microsoft dismantled Zune, I haven't found anything more useful. It takes me way more time and effort these days to trawl through Bandcamp and Discogs recommendations to find something I like. I just wonder if I was 15 or 16 today, whether I'd think it was worth the effort.
Bombadil wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:20 pmEverything in my music is me. If I can't play something on the keyboard, I don't enter the notes on the grid. I practice until I can. If I lay down a stinker of a vocal take, I'll redo it. Everything I do is, to a large extent, me.
OTOH, I only care bout the music, I m happy for it to have absolutely nothing to do with me if it makes the song better and I get to perform it.
I view all the great, organic music that came before as a gauntlet thrown down. The task, for serious people, is to better it, not wallow in mediocrity.
Why does it all have to be so egocentric? I just want more good music in the world, I don't give a f**k where it comes from or if it someone else's music is better than mine, as long as mine is good enough. I've never wanted it to be in any way about me, it has to be about the music.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I do one hell of a lot in a piano roll that I cannot produce by hand. I would personally consider it restrictive in the extreme, shooting my nose off to spite my face to place my musical vision under as low and as hard a ceiling as that.
Addtionally if I'm going to score orchestra, the rolls of a cymbal or drum, or certain grace articulation, grupettos and trills performed by say the Vienna Synchron Orchestra are far, far more viable for the purpose than any fakery writing note-ons in an editor. It's about equal to say a conductor must have done all the moves of every person in the orchestra beforehand for her interpretation to be authentic or her own. These are loops in the meaning of today in DAW discussion.

I can be called a loops composer, then, it wouldn't be a thing for me. I would consider myself stupidly stubborn to limit myself to my keyboard skills. I had no viable piano, ever, in the home growing up. I'll put my piano writing up against anybody anywhere, however. I'm that confident of my understanding of the thing. Some of it I executed in real time. Not a lot.

I got into conservatory with under 3 yrs prep and performed a 7 part Bach suite for a legend for my overall grade first year of 'Appled Music', meaning instrumental performance major.
(I recently revisited a lutenist who took most of it considerably faster than I and it was a 23 minute event. So here's what, a half hour of sheer nakedness playing the most transparent and clear music there is for someone I could only be in absolute awe of. With no mistakes, and "A" from that jury (Henry Meyer, La Salle Quartet). 8, 10 hrs a day I practiced, a lot of it deeply listening on rather clean LSD. Lute Suite in E aka the 3rd violin partita BWV 1006. Not very politic given the jury.

Sure, my music is a great lie. I do what works though.

BONES wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:49 pm
donkey tugger wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:06 pmYes, but have you ever seen Shania Twain play a gig atop Everest? Beyonce on the slopes of K2?
Sorry, that's a little obscure for me. Something about manhood, perhaps? Sorry, I'm not Bear Grills, I see nothing inherently manly in climbing mountains. It's the kind of thing I mostly associate with weak minds and insecurity - people who feel they have to prove themselves to the world. Pitiable creatures, in the main.
Well, you see, the 'context' matters...(or just plain reading the post previous..)
donkey tugger wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:33 pm
"Altitude", perhaps was the intent; our cogitating colonial compatriot proffering a postulate perchance that the womanly wailer is unable to function at a height above a certain sea-level?

It's as plausible as any of his other bollocks.

jancivil wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:51 pm I do one hell of a lot in a piano roll that I cannot produce by hand. I would personally consider it restrictive in the extreme, shooting my nose off to spite my face to place my musical vision under as low and as hard a ceiling as that.
Addtionally if I'm going to score orchestra, the rolls of a cymbal or drum, or certain grace articulation, grupettos and trills performed by say the Vienna Synchron Orchestra are far, far more viable for the purpose than any fakery writing note-ons in an editor. It's about equal to say a conductor must have done all the moves of every person in the orchestra beforehand for her interpretation to be authentic or her own. These are loops in the meaning of today in DAW discussion.

I can be called a loops composer, then, it wouldn't be a thing for me. I would consider myself stupidly stubborn to limit myself to my keyboard skills. I had no viable piano, ever, in the home growing up. I'll put my piano writing up against anybody anywhere, however. I'm that confident of my understanding of the thing. Some of it I executed in real time. Not a lot.

I got into conservatory with under 3 yrs prep and performed a 7 part Bach suite for a legend for my overall grade first year of 'Appled Music', meaning instrumental performance major.
(I recently revisited a lutenist who took most of it considerably faster than I and it was a 23 minute event. So here's what, a half hour of sheer nakedness playing the most transparent and clear music there is for someone I could only be in absolute awe of. With no mistakes, and "A" from that jury (Henry Meyer, La Salle Quartet). 8, 10 hrs a day I practiced, a lot of it deeply listening on rather clean LSD. Lute Suite in E aka the 3rd violin partita BWV 1006. Not very politic given the jury.

Sure, my music is a great lie. I do what works though.
Jan,
If I did what you do, I'd use the tools that you use. No judgement on my part, because we are comparing apples and oranges. I know what peripheral neuropathy is, for one thing. Another, I'm just a guy who likes, for the most part, blues-based rock. For my requirements, I don't need what you do to do what I do. You have my respect. Your musical knowledge overwhelms me.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I think my big beef with genres is it doesn't allow for happy accidents. From hearing electro out of the boom box of the older kids at school on a field trip to the random used CDs at a record store I had some major discoveries. Music discovery is an active thing, not a list on a web page. Today is the same as decades ago for me- mountains of music in every genre I don't really like, but I listen for that great feeling of finding a song I haven't heard before that just works.

Constructed Identity wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:37 am I think my big beef with genres is it doesn't allow for happy accidents. From hearing electro out of the boom box of the older kids at school on a field trip to the random used CDs at a record store I had some major discoveries. Music discovery is an active thing, not a list on a web page. Today is the same as decades ago for me- mountains of music in every genre I don't really like, but I listen for that great feeling of finding a song I haven't heard before that just works.
I don't really see how the existence of genre restricts this? I used to play house as a DJ, but I was very particular and had to shop in the techno section for funky techno that went well with that I was playing. Genre helped, even though the label on the tin wasn't always correct, it was pretty rare that I was going to find a house record in the, e.g., jungle section. Ok, true enough that every once in a while someone will put a house remix on an otherwise jungle EP, but it wasn't that common and rarely worth the price of the hunt.

Often I would search the most narrow section first and then expand out into the other related genres. It made the hunt more efficient.

Honestly, this is why algorithms rule for this. I want things that are close to things that I like, that often transcends genre.

I also frequently just grabbed anything that looked good from the $1 CD bin. By looking good I simply mean that the cover and/or title looked interesting. I picked up the aforementioned Joan Armatrading CD this way. Not always worthwhile though, I'm looking at you Michael Hedges with your Taproot bullshit.

donkey tugger wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:13 am
BONES wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:49 pm
Well, you see, the 'context' matters...(or just plain reading the post previous..)
donkey tugger wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:33 pm
"Altitude", perhaps was the intent; our cogitating colonial compatriot proffering a postulate perchance that the womanly wailer is unable to function at a height above a certain sea-level?

It's as plausible as any of his other bollocks.
see, army. air force would have got that :shrug:

Constructed Identity wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:37 am big beef
no wonder they looked at me weird, i always said "big beat" :oops:

Bombadil wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:58 am
jancivil wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:51 pm I do one hell of a lot in a piano roll that I cannot produce by hand.
Jan,
If I did what you do, I'd use the tools that you use. No judgement on my part, because we are comparing apples and oranges. I know what peripheral neuropathy is, for one thing. Another, I'm just a guy who likes, for the most part, blues-based rock. For my requirements, I don't need what you do to do what I do. You have my respect. Your musical knowledge overwhelms me.
I know, I just thought the loops remark needed balancing.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”