Delay modulation?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi folks,

I'm doing a bit of a deep dive in Blue Cat Audio's Late Replies delay plugin.

Although it's a beast in terms of what you can create, one curious thing (to me, anyway) is that it doesn't have any delay modulation built in. You need to create it yourself by putting a chorus or flanger (100% wet) or vibrato on the delays.

So this got me a-wondering: is there anything interesting to say or know about delay modulation?
I guess the biggest variable is if you put it on the delay send, or inside the feedback loop. If in the loop and sync'ed, it amplifies each time, unless you modulate the modulation!

Just curious if there are any interesting or standard techniques i could play around with.

Cheer! .... Mr D

Perhaps: viewtopic.php?t=412600
It was discussed whether in emulating a tape delay whether to move the head or variate tape speed.

But do you mean modulating the amplitude, or delay time/speed?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Sorry, i meant pitch modulation ....... but i guess i'm also interested in volume or other kinds of modulation .....

Mr D wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:45 pm Hi folks,

I'm doing a bit of a deep dive in Blue Cat Audio's Late Replies delay plugin.

Although it's a beast in terms of what you can create, one curious thing (to me, anyway) is that it doesn't have any delay modulation built in. You need to create it yourself by putting a chorus or flanger (100% wet) or vibrato on the delays.
Thank you for mentioning our plug-in. The reason for that is that it is much more flexible to add the modulation as a plug-in: you can choose the type of modulation, and it is much more customizable. As you can see in the presets there are delays with pitch, delay, frequency or amplitude modulation.

Also, Late Replies uses some very precise interpolation algorithm to avoid filtering, and to make sure that all taps with negative phase will exactly cancel each other. While it is possible to modulate this type of delay, the CPU cost is much higher.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”