One Synth Challenge #180: Regency by nakst (ELEX Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Regency

I mean, im pretty sure that you can change your entered song as many times as you want before the deadline, maybe just play around and make few until you find a sound you like. Im unfamiliar with this synth personally, but if you can find some good bass sounds maybe you use those to work off of.

LunarKitten wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:28 pm Yeah, I am absolutly clueless on how to create my own sounds in synths.
And there are lot of people who uses presets and never craft their own sounds. And they're as happy as freaks who made own presets. It all depends on individual preferences.
And don't worry too much - as long as you like what you're doing and want to make music. You can learn more stuff using tutorials or you can learn it yourself (something like reinventin the wheel - which is good if we're talking about hobby) treating tutorials as a last resort if you get stuck somewhere.

Good luck!

Using presets is where most people start out. Then they tweak those to perhaps get a better/different sound.

This synth though gives clicks very easily on some patches ... these need to be avoided.

As I said the sound is all very centered in the stereo image, try to pan your indicidual tracks. Read up on how to apply EQ to help "separate" the different frequencies in your track so they don't "interfere" with the sound. On your master channel, you need to use eg Youlean Loudness Meter and adjust the volume to read around -14 I-LUFS. A limiter (eg Loudmax or Limiter No.6) will also help with the overall dynamics ("loudness variations") on the track.

A frequency analyser, eg SPAN, will help show where you have too much or too little of some frequencies. Something like eq SlickEQ can help get the freq balance better,

Hope this is helpful

Next round hopefully will be an easier synth to use, with an abundance of presets :-)

dB

PS All the tools above a free.

Thank you. I am not confident, I can make the change I would want to before the dealine so I am going to wait for the next competition.

Can you tell me, how do you make such great compositions? What is the workflow?
★★★ One can enjoy a wood fire worthily only when he warms his thoughts by it as well as his hands and feet. ★★★

LunarKitten wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:48 pm Can you tell me, how do you make such great compositions? What is the workflow?
If you're asking about composition, it's a difficult question. I guess time is main factor here. And experience, which is time related. Someone call it talent - but in fact it's all about time spent practicing multiplied by perseverance. After all Chopin competitions are not won by people who play the piano occasionally. These are hours of practice. Every day. And this is the same about all kind of music - time is main factor here. So basically if you want improve something, never say "oh, maybe I'll do it next week". Do it the same day. And next one too.

PeterBPL wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:59 pm If you're asking about composition, it's a difficult question. I guess time is main factor here. And experience, which is time related. Someone call it talent - but in fact it's all about time spent practicing multiplied by perseverance. After all Chopin competitions are not won by people who play the piano occasionally. These are hours of practice. Every day. And this is the same about all kind of music - time is main factor here. So basically if you want improve something, never say "oh, maybe I'll do it next week". Do it the same day. And next one too.
I understand. How do you work on your compostions. Do you write them in a midi project?
★★★ One can enjoy a wood fire worthily only when he warms his thoughts by it as well as his hands and feet. ★★★

LunarKitten wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:15 pm I understand. How do you work on your compostions. Do you write them in a midi project?
If you're talking about MIDI track in DAW or other type track/pattern with notes then answer is yes.
I don't really understand this question. How you made your track? Since you was able to use plugin in some DAW and write something, then you're doing exactly the same as rest of us.

PeterBPL wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:32 pm
LunarKitten wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:15 pm I understand. How do you work on your compostions. Do you write them in a midi project?
If you're talking about MIDI track in DAW or other type track/pattern with notes then answer is yes.
I don't really understand this question. How you made your track? Since you was able to use plugin in some DAW and write something, then you're doing exactly the same as rest of us.
My track is improvised not composed.

I compose a track in various ways. Mainly with many parts scored and then inserted as MIDI items.

If I compose a jazz track I'll use commonly used jazz chord progressions, and usually improvise over the top, but still record the MIDI (to fix bum notes etc), Blues would be pretty much the same, usually 12-bar standard progressions.

Ambient stuff is a little different, but usually lay down a bed track of pad sounds and then layer motifs over that.

Lunar Kitten:
I have PM'd you (Private Message and posted a version of your track with some processing)

Hope you don't mind ...

dB
Last edited by doctorbob on Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doctorbob wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:57 pm I have PM's you (Private Message and posted a version of your track with some processing)

Hope you don't mind ...
Hmmm...
Are you sure you PM me?
I have empty inbox.

I have PM'd Lunar Kitten ! I had better make that clear!

dB

doctorbob wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:02 pm I have PM'd Lunar Kitten ! I had better make that clear!

dB
No, that's me. I must pay more attention. :)

PeterBPL wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:17 pm No, that's me. I must pay more attention. :)
No problem :D
dB

doctorbob wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:57 pm I compose a track in various ways. Mainly with many parts scored and then inserted as MIDI items.

If I compose a jazz track I'll use commonly used jazz chord progressions, and usually improvise over the top, but still record the MIDI (to fix bum notes etc), Blues would be pretty much the same, usually 12-bar standard progressions.
Too me it's very overwhelming, all the different parts. It's quite a bit to put together.

If you're truly just starting out, find a relatively simple track you like and then try to re-create it. The process will teach you a lot.

I've been writing songs for 35+ years. Most of them aren't very good. Finish a song, then make another one. Occasionally your inspiration and your skill come together and you get something special. But skill part just comes from learning and repetition.

Return to “Instruments”