I have a Native Instruments Question. Do you know the answer?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here's a question for all Kontakt users:

Let's say long ago you bought a 3rd party library that just needs Kontakt Player. The developer paid the extra money so that his library is licensed and doesn't need a full version of Kontakt in order to run. Let's say this hypothetical 3rd party library was produced back in the days of Kontakt 4. Would that library still work on the modern versions of Kontakt player?

Is there any "gotcha" that could prevent a person who bought a Kontakt library from long ago from using it on the modern Kontakt player?
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Kontakt Player is free, so you could just try it.

AFAIK there's never been a library that works on an earlier version of Kontakt that doesn't work now on the latest one. I even made Stormdrum 1 from East West work on Kontakt 7 the other day, and that was actually Kompakt and Intakt.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W11, Ryzen 7900, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2024 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Danilo Villanova wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:38 pm Kontakt Player is free, so you could just try it.
I don’t have any old libraries to try with. I was just asking a hypothetical question regarding the longevity of support in case I decided to buy a library. I’m looking at a few guitar libraries and have considering the long term pros/cons of going with N.I.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

noiseboyuk wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:44 pm AFAIK there's never been a library that works on an earlier version of Kontakt that doesn't work now on the latest one. I even made Stormdrum 1 from East West work on Kontakt 7 the other day, and that was actually Kompakt and Intakt.
So, a person who buys a 3rd party library where the full version of kontakt is not required may be saved from having to pay to keep software up-to-date, because the kontakt player is always updated for free. That may be the better way to go if wanting to use N.I. Libraries. Interesting! Are there any negatives to this as far as you can tell?

audiojunkie wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:36 pm So, a person who buys a 3rd party library where the full version of kontakt is not required may be saved from having to pay to keep software up-to-date, because the kontakt player is always updated for free. That may be the better way to go if wanting to use N.I. Libraries. Interesting! Are there any negatives to this as far as you can tell?
In general as Kontakt versions have come and gone, the main issue for people is finding old projects with old versions of Kontakt they don't have installed any more. But the libraries themselves should all still work.

Actually, there was a fuss a while ago about authorisation, wasn't there? The old Service Center was deprecated and NI announced you wouldn't be able to activate very old products on new machines. BUT IIRC there was a happy ending after mass pitchforks, and NI did a mea culpa... I think the figured out a way to make everything work with Native Access.

Someone else may be able to remember more...
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W11, Ryzen 7900, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2024 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Unfortunately, I posted my post originally to that thread first, and it was flatly ignored. That’s why I started this new thread here. And what you mentioned about old authorizations not working was my main concern and reason for asking the question in the first place. I guess I’m going to need to get a definitive answer on this before I can feel confident with purchasing anything. 😐

Here’s a link to the original thread:

viewtopic.php?p=8854388#p8854388

audiojunkie wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:16 pm Unfortunately, I posted my post originally to that thread first, and it was flatly ignored. That’s why I started this new thread here. And what you mentioned about old authorizations not working was my main concern and reason for asking the question in the first place. I guess I’m going to need to get a definitive answer on this before I can feel confident with purchasing anything. 😐
That issue wasn't about Kontakt libraries that have already been registered but about very old apps that couldn't be activated any more on new devices.
Those are very different scenarios.

noiseboyuk wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:44 pm AFAIK there's never been a library that works on an earlier version of Kontakt that doesn't work now on the latest one. I even made Stormdrum 1 from East West work on Kontakt 7 the other day, and that was actually Kompakt and Intakt.
That's good to know, as I am about to load Kontakt 7 on a new machine and have a ton of those from way way back, and was concerned about the 'legacy' issues. :tu:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Return to “Instruments”